Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using WhatsApp privately

• 24-10-2018 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows a safe solution to this...

I need to use WhatsApp to set up a group in work where I am not happy to have my number visible.

I've a couple of options. I can use my personal WhatsApp account but don't want group members to be able to see my details

I can use a different WhatsApp account to set up the group and I will just be a member but still don't want my number visible to others (as I will be using my personal account).

I could use my personal device but set up a second WhatsApp using a different mobile number or a work email....

Any of these possible...?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭peter4918

lauratkd wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows a safe solution to this...

I need to use WhatsApp to set up a group in work where I am not happy to have my number visible.

I've a couple of options. I can use my personal WhatsApp account but don't want group members to be able to see my details

I can use a different WhatsApp account to set up the group and I will just be a member but still don't want my number visible to others (as I will be using my personal account).

I could use my personal device but set up a second WhatsApp using a different mobile number or a work email....

Any of these possible...?

AFAIK None of these options are possible. You can only have 1 phone number and 1 WhatsApp account per device.

You cannot hide your number on a WhatsApp group. Once you setup or are part of a group your number is there for all group members to see.

Curious as to why you would want to set up a group and then hide your details?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lauratkd

Curious as to why you would want to set up a group and then hide your details?
    I am a teacher and want to set up a group with students. It's not ideal/advisable to use my own account but I equally don't want to have to use a separate school phone and carry my own device and the school device with me at all times!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Use google hangouts instead and set up a gmail account for the purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lauratkd

Sounds like a great idea. We actually run Google Apps for Education in school so all students have a school Google account!

Must give it a go....

I am a teacher and want to set up a group with students. It's not ideal/advisable to use my own account but I equally don't want to have to use a separate school phone and carry my own device and the school device with me at all times!!

You can use a broadcast group on whatsapp. It's essentially a one-way system where only you can send texts to whoever is on the list, nobody has any idea who else is on the list....kinda like a BCC in an email. They don't get to see each other's messages though, so not sure if this is what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

You can use a broadcast group on whatsapp. It's essentially a one-way system where only you can send texts to whoever is on the list, nobody has any idea who else is on the list....kinda like a BCC in an email. They don't get to see each other's messages though, so not sure if this is what you want.

while this is an option, he just wants to keep his personal number, private..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

sugarman wrote:
    Maybe get a dual sim phone and use the second sim/number for work?

No need for that. You can set up WhatsApp on phone using any number providing you have access to that number and can read verification code sent to that number. The problem is WhatsApp only supports one account so regardless of number sim cards you will be only able to use one account private or school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Sounds like a great idea. We actually run Google Apps for Education in school so all students have a school Google account!

Must give it a go....

What about google classroom? It’s within the education eco system if you already have google apps in the school. You can silence students if needs be. The app is available for their phones to get alerts and they can get email notifications too. It’s far more powerful than whatsapp and you can even invite parents to monitor it, their results can be posted and assignments set.

Honestly I’d steer clear of whatsapp groups (I’m a teacher myself). Do your school have a policy on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭peter4918

Makes sense! WhatsApp might not for you then. How about setting up a new email account for this purpose and just assigning and receiving the students worth through that

Advertisement