Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car/bike accident Ballinteer Dublin 16

Options
  • 24-10-2018 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi there,

A bit of a long shot here but you never know. I was in an accident where I was hit side on by a car on Broadford Road, Ballinteer, Dublin 16 on Thursday 18th October 2018 at approx. 07:30am.

One person who came along was a female cyclist, who spoke to me. I was very shaken so have no details but she may have seen the impact or could give some details of what happened. Another car stopped to call the emergency services, and the car that hit me was still there. So if you happen to read this or maybe she told someone what she saw I’d be grateful if you could pm me.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

If you were injured by a driver who left teh scene without giving you details you can make a claim for compensaiotn against the MIBI - motor insurers bureau of ireland. Talk to a solicitor if you are going down that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Neo2020

Hi Fian,

The driver who hit me did provide her name and number. It’s more that I would like to have a clear picture of the aftermath from an independent witness, a lot of things were never recorded given it was a serious road Traffic Collision. I had concussion and was not in a frame of mind to get much detail. That’s why the female cyclist who came by might be able to help. It’s a long shot I know. An ambulance was called by another lady who came upon the scene but I was hesitant so unfortunately no emergency services came in the end. Hopefully the Garda might be able to find that witness through the emergency call log.

At the moment, I’m just getting my head around it still, thankful to be alive

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Sorry to hear about the accident Neo.

Have you considered if there's any CCTV in the area? It might be worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I know it can be difficult to behave rationally at the scene - never mind concussion even with just the effects of adrenaline you are often not really in your right mind.

I live in Dundrum near enough to where this happened. Hope you recover well.

Thanks thejaguar, I asked the Gardai about CCTV, I think they are going to check but I imagine it’s unlikely there’s street cctv there.

Thanks Fian for your good wishes. I wasn’t in my right frame of mind and adrenaline masked my pain, I should have got that ambulance because I ended up in a&e regardless!

Can’t see myself getting back on the bike for a long time. You realise how fragile we are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If you're on Facebook, you could try posting on the Balinteer Today page or PMing the page. I find they're quite good at putting things out (assuming she was from the area) but she might catch it there or someone else from around may have seen something. Might even be worth seeing if anyone has dashcam footage etc
    https://www.facebook.com/BallinteerToday/

What part of Broadford road did it happen on? If down by the schools/meadowbrook you might get CCTV?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Neo2020 wrote:
    The driver who hit me did provide her name and number. It’s more that I would like to have a clear picture of the aftermath from an independent witness, a lot of things were never recorded given it was a serious road Traffic Collision. I had concussion and was not in a frame of mind to get much detail. That’s why the female cyclist who came by might be able to help. It’s a long shot I know. An ambulance was called by another lady who came upon the scene but I was hesitant so unfortunately no emergency services came in the end. Hopefully the Garda might be able to find that witness through the emergency call log.

All 999 calls will provide a number to emergency services as long as the sim is in the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

sweetie wrote: »
    All 999 calls will provide a number to emergency services as long as the sim is in the phone.
    How would you make a call with the sim out of the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Lumen wrote: »
    How would you make a call with the sim out of the phone?

Emergency calls can be made without a sim or signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Emergency calls can be made without a sim or signal.

I don't think that the bit in bold is true. How could you possibly make a call without a signal?

I think what you mean is that emergency calls can be made when the signal isn't strong enough for your own network to carry (i.e. not strong enough to call your friend, for example). But if there is no signal, then you can't make a call to anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's happening there is that if you have no signal to *your own* network, but there is another network available, the other network is legally obliged to handle 999 calls, IIRC.
    so your phone may display no signal available, but if you dial 999 it'll search for any available network.

slightly related - there was a quirk of blackberry phones where people thought ringing 999 would give your battery a boost. again, IIRC, if the battery dropped to 2% it would prevent you making any calls, except 999 calls. but dialling 999 would lift that lock, allowing you to ring any number.

If you're on Facebook, you could try posting on the Balinteer Today page or PMing the page. I find they're quite good at putting things out (assuming she was from the area) but she might catch it there or someone else from around may have seen something. Might even be worth seeing if anyone has dashcam footage etc

What part of Broadford road did it happen on? If down by the schools/meadowbrook you might get CCTV?

Thanks RacoonQueen,

I’ll check that page out. Collision happened cycling past Broadford Lawns junction so a bit further up from the schools.

Thanks for the other replies, but getting side tracked. I imagine the lady who phoned the emergency services will be contacted so finding her number is not the main issue.

I’m referring to a second person, the female cyclist who came along and spoke with me. I was hoping that she might be able to say what she saw, if anything.

Thanks

How about putting a sign up asking people to contact you at the spot it happened?

I recall seeing something like this before.

Thanks ronoc, that’s an idea.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

At that time, she probably was commuting - might it be worth standing there for a few mornings to see if she passes by?

Neo2020 wrote: »
    Thanks ronoc, that’s an idea.
    No problem.

Hope you are feeling better after the concussion. It's not a nice experience along with the trauma of a crash.

Advertisement