Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possum

• 24-10-2018 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Horror from Matthew Holness of Garth Marenghi's Dark Place fame - a disgraced children's puppeteer (Sean Harris) returns to his childhood home to face his misanthrope uncle (Alun Armstrong) and his hideous puppet.

Judging from the trailer not one for the arachnophobes among us but good reviews and looks like some decent scares to be had here.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm hoping to catch this in the next few days, it sounds oppressive and dread-fillex, which is just the sort of thing I like in my horror movies. Didn't realise it was from the director of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, sounds like a fair shift in tone for him.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Ended up watching this on the BFI streaming rental service as I missed its short run near me. Definitely worth a watch, although the sound clearly hasn't been properly balanced in the mixdown from surround to stereo so you'll be doing a lot of turning the volume up to catch dialogue, then turning it down to avoid being deafened by the score. Sean Harris seems to have learned how to un-project speech so it's particularly hard to catch some of his lines to the extent that I watched it with subtitles to make sure I didn't miss anything.

The Babadook is the most obvious comparison, for me, but perhaps also Kaleidoscope or Berberian Sound Studio. Very much a character focused piece, full of dread and the baggage of returning to a town left long ago. There are a couple of jumps towards the end but mostly it's about slowly ratcheting up the tension and unease of trying to work out why and to what extent the protagonist is traumatised and broken...

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

I greatly enjoyed this, there was some mumbling from Harris alright but overall both he and Alun Armstrong were very good. The Babadook is one reference, there was a touch of Eraserhead here and there too, I thought.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Guardian ran a decent interview with Holness a few weeks back; definitely one to read for those (like myself) who wondered where he went & got up to, having effectively disappeared after Darkplace:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/oct/12/from-garth-marenghi-to-big-screen-horror-what-the-lost-boy-of-comedy-did-next

Possum clearly looks like a different beast altogether, but ... man, Darkplace was fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Thought it wasn't bad, as mentioned there are sound issues. Thought the ending was pretty predictable but it's worth a watch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement