Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage dilemma

• 24-10-2018 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi, I am trying to clear something up. Myself & my wife are first time buyers and hope to purchase in the coming weeks. We are interested in a property valued at 335K. We have registered for the HTB scheme but only realised our mortgage has to be 70% LTV minimum. So we would need a mortgage of €234,500 in order to get 5% back. We are in a position to take out a mortgage of less than 70% LTV with savings and am wondering if we entered a variable rate and claimed our HTB, could we then pay a lump off the mortgage after say 1 month and enter into a fixed rate? We would be interested in the 2.3% Ulster Bank fixed rate for 2 years. I hope this makes sense :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Yes, there should be no problem choosing a variable rate mortgage and you can reduce the principal. Do take into consideration that your lender may charge a higher rate to fix as an existing customer rather than a new customer so it might make sense to choose a split package mortgage say 200k fixed and 34.5k variable that way you can make payments of the variable part without penalty.

Advertisement