Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Additional power outlets

Options
  • 24-10-2018 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

I want to add some additional outlets in my house, but I can't figure out if there are some regulations that require a registered electrician to install them? My dad was an electrician way back when, but isn't registered anymore so I'm just concerned for home insurance purposes. Is this something we could do ourselves or will I need to get somebody in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭thecribber

I hear you have some wiring needs a fixing Mam !,,

Have you not seen seen the Cowboy advert on the telly,

Have a look here. https://safeelectric.ie/help-advice/controlled-restricted-electrical-works/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Exempt works include
    Minor electrical works which include very small works such as like-for-like replacements (e.g. switches), moving light fittings without affecting the circuit and adding a socket to an existing circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

Thanks for that. 'Shocked' I couldn't find it myself in hindsight

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

What is and is not considered minor electrical works crops up regularly on this forum. I send an email to the Commission of Energy Regulation (now the Commission for Regulation of Utilities) quite some time ago to get some clarification on the matter. The response I received was very interesting. I was surprised just how much those that are not registered electrical contractors are permitted to do. I was also surprised that none of this work had to be tested. See email exchange here.
    I want to add some additional outlets in my house, but I can't figure out if there are some regulations that require a registered electrician to install them?

Twenty Grand is correct. A competent person would be permitted to add an additional socket per circuit. I'm confident that your dad would be up to it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

2011 wrote: »
    I'm confident that your dad would be up to it ;)

Let's hope you're right about that. I'm certainly not competent!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

As a rule of thumb, anything that involves adding extra circuits i.e. adding circuit breakers, is not DIY work.

1. Identify whether you're dealing with radials or rings. Radials are *much* more commonly used in Ireland than they are in the UK. Typically you'll identity these as having a 20 amp or 16 amp breaker / fuse.
    A ring, will typically have a 32 amp breaker / fuse.

There's an arbitrary maximum limit of 10 sockets per radial (and this counts a double plate as a single socket). However, you still need to plan according to the expected loads. If you're going to be powering a load of heavy kitchen appliances like dishwashers, kettles, etc .. or you're planning to use a lot of plug-in heaters, you may need to get an electrician to add another circuit. If they're just feeding light loads you might be fine with the 10-socket per radial absolute max limit.

2. If it's a ring circuit, you can add more sockets, but they must be actually on the ring. If you create a branch from the ring, it's known as a spur and would have to be fused with a spur connection unit i.e. a wall plate with a fuse.

The concept of a ring circuit requires all the wiring to be in a continuous ring and it's fed from both ends, so a spur connected to the ring is basically a separate radial circuit and needs to be fused where it joins the ring - think of it more like it's been plugged into the circuit at that point.

Also it's absolutely essential that you do not 'break the ring' i.e. split it so that you end up with two radials. If the ring continuity is broken, the sockets will continue to work, but there's a risk of fire due to overloading as it's no longer being fed from both ends.

NB: You can't reliably identify whether a circuit is a ring or radial by just looking at the back of a socket as they will likely have wires leading onto the next socket in both cases - the difference is the ring will continue the whole way back to the board.

My view of it would be to get an electrician if you can, there isn't really *that* much cost involved in adding a few extra sockets and it can at least be done neatly and to code.

If in doubt put a plug on it.

Advertisement