Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PAYE Underpayment Shared

• 24-10-2018 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

I submitted a Form 12 in the last few days declaring additional non PAYE income. I received a P21 and details of the underpayment I was expecting.

The "Treatment of Result" section of the P21 stated that the underpayment would be "Collected by reducing your credits in future years €729.46 yr 2019; €729.46 yr 2020". That's fine; I was expecting that. I logged into myaccount today and see all the credits I was expecting. However, there is an additional credit with a negative figure titled "PAYE underpayment Shared". It had a figure of -€268.06 under both my profile and my wife's.

Firstly, I can't reconcile how they got to the €268.06 (aggregate €536.12) figure. It might be related to the fact that the underpayment is made up of USC and PAYE? Does anybody have any thoughts on how Revenue arrived at the €268.06?

Secondly, will this mean that my wife's part-time few bob* is going to be stung for my underpayment? I wouldn't be worth it ;).

* It's only a few bob for a few hours so if she doesn't use up her full Employee Credit in a given year, does that mean I could effectively use the remaining part of her Employee Credit of 1650 to clear part of my additional tax bill? Happy days of so!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15 arriba

To get the proper answer regarding the €268.06 (x 2), your best bet would be to contact Revenue. Rather than it being an additional credit, it could be a reduction in this year's credits due to another underpayment in a previous year, which means it's being paid off this year. Have a look at your 2018 tax credit certificate and see if it's listed there, too. But, as I said, contact Revenue to see what the story is, as mine is just an assumption and could be totally wrong.

As for your wife's Employee tax credit, it's not a transferable credit, which means any surplus cannot be transferred to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭eggerb

arriba wrote: »
    To get the proper answer regarding the €268.06 (x 2), your best bet would be to contact Revenue. Rather than it being an additional credit, it could be a reduction in this year's credits due to another underpayment in a previous year, which means it's being paid off this year.

It's a negative credit so it's effect will definitely be to reduce my available credits and hence me pay the underpayment over two years. I totally expected that per the notice under Treatment of Result on the P21 and previous years' experience. What I wasn't expecting is for it to be shared.
    Have a look at your 2018 tax credit certificate and see if it's listed there, too.

Yep. It's listed there but only under my credits. It's net effect is to reduce the credits available to me. It could be a presentation issue in the PAYE my account screen. Ultimately, it's the Tax Credit Cert that would be used to calculate tax due.

Advertisement