Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Will To Win Means Nothing Without The Will To Prepare

Options
  • 24-10-2018 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭

New log, old username and hopefully a fresh start without drama. There's been a few changes over the last month or so as I think I'm having some sort of turning 30 crisis:pac: and thinking about where I want things to go post-chaos 20's. First thing to go was the job as I packed it in a few weeks ago as my work-life balance was pretty skewed. It's nice to be actually home and not living out of a suitcase for the first time in 2 and a half years. My hours are cut in half as well in the new job so only working 40 hours a week and 8-4 for the first time in 10 years so I've a ball of time and don't know what to do with it. I also got to the bottom of my calf issues(I hope) as I just stumped up the cash and went to Frank Sheahan who said I had poor ankle mobility and that the blood wasn't circulating properly. Working on stretching the calves and dynamically moving the ankle seems to give some relief but I still have to be careful and warm-up really gently on most runs with the first mile rarely faster than 10 minute pace.

My goals have changed as well as I was initially planning on running track but logistically, I can't now as the guy who drives to the graded meets is focusing on the longer events next year and I don't drive so getting to Cork and back on a weekday evening isn't easy or viable(UL really should take advantage of the spanking new track and maybe think of holding some graded meets in Limerick). With that in mind I had to shuffle around a few targets and training with the goals being:

Adare 10k(Feb 2019)
    CastleIsland 5k(April 2019)
    Dundrum 10k(July 2019)
    And then hit XC season

It's been a long time since I targeted 5/10k's, 2013 was the last time as the goals in between were always either track, XC or mostly failed marathon attempts.

Really, my big goal is to be competitive at XC next year and to race more as well. I've had 3 XC races over the last 3 weeks and I'd forgot how much I love XC after being consumed by the marathon last year and not running any, I wish XC was year round. The performances so far this year have been hit and miss, I ran better than expected in County Senior the first week, I ran terribly in County Novice(I say terribly in the sense that compared to the week before but in reality, about par for the course on what my training deserved), I ran well in Munster Novice but was made mince meat of by the field. The main takeaway is that I could be doing a lot better. I've been running around 40 miles a week through that period of racing and judging by those around me in XC, I'm currently in around 19mid and 40:xx shape. I've entered the half in Waterford at the start of December but it's clashing with Munster Intermediate XC now so I might give the half a miss and do Munsters instead. My old coach gave me a bell after Munster Novice at the weekend and asked if I wanted a hand so he's back helping me out again, that man has the patience of a saint.

PB's:

1500m: 5:01(2015)
    5k: 18:32(2017)
    10k: 39:45(2014)
    HM: 1:25:43(2017)
    M: 3:15:29(2013)

Will update the last few week's training and race reports when I get a chance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

I literally can't remember much of the training I did in the last month:o I guess that's what happens when you don't log anything so probably just going to start with last weeks race.

Sunday 21st October- Munster Novice XC 6k

I kind of decided to do this on the fly after a poor run in the County Novice the week before and just about managed to get entered Monday evening as the deadline was extended. The goal was really only to see improvement as we had no team entered and knowing that if there was a county that needed me to score, our prospects weren't going to be too bright so was happy happy enough to just get a race in the legs and work on getting a bit of pain tolerance back. The Race was on in Beaufort just outside Killarney, A course I was familiar with from Munster Senior a couple of years ago which was a mudbath at the time and where I finished with no one within 3 minutes of either side of me for fourth last, I was actually in good shape at the time but that was a tough day at the office:pac:.

I know heading into this one despite being in worse shape that I'd be safe enough as the depth at Novice at my end of the stick is a lot better so there would be potential for racing today. The rain was fairly heavy heading down through Kerry and I was praying that it would bucket down as I seem to run better in the mud for some reason but it eased up by the time I arrived and the course was fairly solid, it's a nice course to be fair. Meet one of the lads who was down with daughter running and who had my number before getting togged out and watching a few juvenile races. Organisation was spot on and the races were going off really fast so wasn't hanging around long before I had to warm-up. Quick stride before the race start and I feel a pop in my hamstring, one of those that doesn't hurt at first but that you just know that something's after going wrong. Screw it, I wasn't after going all the way down here to pull out just before the gun. Meet one of the LAC lads just before lining up who was asking if we had a county team as 3 of them lads broke down on the way, so there was only 3 from the county there.

The Race:

Off goes the gun and I shoot out the traps sprinting in the top-20 like a big lanky eejit mainly out of fear that I could quite possibly end up last before settling in after about 400m. The first Kilometre lap of 6 went past in the blink of an eye as I was getting carried along by the strung out group which still contained 95% of the field. Hearing a shoutout of 3:31 for the first lap and I realise I've just made a huge mistake already. At this stage, I've already commited and there's no backing off as I have to keep in contact with as many people as I can which will hopefully help me minimize the inevitable huge fade that's going to come.

The pace at the front seem to pick up we headed out onto the second lap and 3 distinct groups started to form with me hanging about 10 metres off the back of the third group and just thinking about trying to keep my stride as effortless as possible and slowly work my way back up to back of them up the hill at the back of the course. I tucked in nicely behind them but it didn't last for long and I'm not sure if the lads were pushing the pace or we were just starting to slow more than them but the group started to splinter more with only 3 of us staying in the middle heading out on the third lap but the effort was starting to rise now.

The third lap came as quick as it went with the West Muskerry runner eventually forging ahead of me on the downhill as I dropped the following Milstreet runner giving chase but couldn't quite latch on to him as he was still going quite strong even though he was starting to whince a bit. I had my own problems as my lungs were starting to burn and my legs following suit and I was definitely slowing by this point. The gap was staying steady for most of the fourth lap but I managed to pull up even with him going up the hill before he managed to pull out a 5m gap again coming off the hill but he was starting to suffer and I managed to reel him again on the next hill and gap him straight away going into the 5th lap.

I'm not sure how far behind he is going down the back of the course as I was afraid to look back but the shouts of "Go on West Muskerry" were a little too close for comfort and kept me motivated to keep pushing on even though the legs and lungs were saying differently. Cutting around the last corner of the lap, I also start to hear a shedload of shouting going on, I know it's the leaders coming up behind to lap me so all that's going through head now is to bury myself over the next 100m to get out on the last lap before they come past. Not happening:pac: the lads are on full gas coming in and pass me about 50m before safety.

Not only are my legs wobbling and my lungs on fire at this point but I started getting a side-stitch and West Muskerry is closing fast which is the biggest problem. I manage to hold him off until 400 to go when he appeared at my side so I tried to push on again up the hill to 200m to go but my tank was empty and he cruised past on to the finish.

Thoughts:

I was happy enough with this run to be fair under the circumstances as it was a lot better than the week before. I went out fast but I thought I held it together much better than I did in any race so far this year. I think I finished 6th or 7th last which is crap to be fair as I know there's a lot a lot better in me in general terms but you reap what you sow. There's a few positives in there that I think I'm improving again but alot of work to be done as well.

Very best of luck to all in Dublin tomorrow as well!

Friday 26th October- 6 Easy

Saturday 27th October- 6 Easy

Sunday 28th Ocother- 6 Easy

The pop I felt in my hamstring on the warm-up for last weeks race turned out to be a strain that was fair tender Monday morning so I had to back off as I was worried about a full on hamstring tear if I pushed on. Few days rest done the trick and I was ready to go again Friday. Felt a bit lethargic coming back but easy miles are easy.

Training is going to be fairly straightforward for the next while, just about getting back to where I was strength wise last year. I entered for indoor 400/800 indoor double next weekend but which should be interesting as I haven't done any speedwork in 2 and half to 3 years. I still think I might be able to rattle that 10 round numbers target of sub-60 seconds so if the 800 is on first, I'll give it a miss as the 400 is my real target for that night.

Tuesday 30th October- 6 Miles Easy

Wednesday 31st October- 5 Miles Easy

Thursday 1st October- 6 Miles Easy

Friday 2nd October- 5 Miles Easy

Saturday 3rd October- 5 Miles Easy

Sunday 4th October- 9 Miles LR

Not a lot to say to say about those runs except they were mostly terrible. My calves are back at me again just as bad as before, it's a horrible feeling so midweek, I just decided to go out the door and completely ignore what I thought easy effort was and just keep slowing up the pace to see how they would feel. I finally found a comfortable effort which must have been around 10:15 pace where I could actually enjoy the run. Kept that effort for the rest of the week and had no burning sensation in the calves for the week. And that's going to be my plan for the forseeable future is to forget about any decent level of training and just run for enjoyment whether they are 15 minute miles or whatever. Only strange occurence during those was that my calves and feet got really hot(not in the same way as the burning pain) but just really really warm.

There's something seriously wrong though and I don't think it's muscle tightness. I can nearly go back to day this issue first popped up in September 2013 and everything started to become a struggle. I think I'd raced something stupid like 20 weeks on the hop along with a big session every Thursday and hammering every other run. I ran 6x1 mile on Thursday, a 52:59 13k on the Friday and a 1:26:26 Half on the Sunday followed by 4x1 mile on Thursday with a 24:50 4 mile on the Friday and thst was pretty much the last time I could run comfortably. Took a month off before Dublin because I cooked and my next run was the day before the marathon where I went on to run 3:15 followed by a 5k 3 days later in 19:41 and then just started falling off to 45 minute 10ks soon after.

I'm starting to think(as long ago as that is) that I done some serious damage back then that I'm still struggling with now. I'm going to try book in for a lactate test soon enough as I think something unusual could show up in my lactate curve as the burning sensation in my calves is really similar to that sensation but happening at a very low intensity. If that shows nothing out of the ordinary, I don't know what I'll do to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

That sounds like a nightmare EC, so frustrating particularly not to know what's going on. Really sorry to hear it.
    If you can run for enjoyment in the meantime that sounds like the way to go - maybe it'll help break the association with the awful feeling at least and give you something positive from the running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Can't remember from previous but have you been tested for compartment syndrome? The reason I ask would be that some of your history would lend itself to at least ruling it out at this stage.

• Advertisement

Can't remember from previous but have you been tested for compartment syndrome? The reason I ask would be that some of your history would lend itself to at least ruling it out at this stage.

Haven't got tested before and I'm afraid of my life of those two words. My old sports therapist was going referring me to a physio in 2016 I think as he thought it might be CECS because I was getting numb feet back then with the pain but I never followed up as I just stopped running altogether. It's definitely something to follow up on, I'm just worried about the cost and possible implications of it so have avoided it hoping everything might be fine one day.

Tuesday 6th November- 5m Easy

Wednesday 7th November- 6m Easy

Thursday 8th November- 6m Easy

Friday 9th November- 6m Easy

Saturday 10th November- 3m w/strides

Sunday 11th November- Munster Senior XC 10k(DNF)

This week was up and down, Everything was slow bar Thursday and Saturday which were days I felt good on to my suprise. Today was a disaster and ended with my 3rd ever dnf. Plan was to go out out slow which I followed through on but less than a k in, I was under pressure with my breathing as the cold was cutting my lungs and got worse and worse until the point where it felt that I was only breathing in to the top 1/4 of each by the end of lap 1. I was dead last at that point which is something I can deal with but I dropped out at 4k as the only way I was finishing that race would've involved walking it in and that wasn't going to happen.

Don't know what to do, at a bit of a crossroads with my running right now. On one hand, it's a part of me and I know haven't reached anywhere close to my potential but on the other side is that I don't know if I can deal with all the suffering and heartbreak it is causing me. I think this might win an award for shortest log in the history of boards:pac:

Maybe an overreaction to Sunday although I was close to breaking point tbh but I'll keep plowing ahead and see where it goes. I took two days off and kind of thought over what I'm doing and had a chat with coach. Trying to grind through an XC season out of shape probably wasn't the best idea but C'est la vie. I've managed to change my goals again but I think when something doesn't feel right, that's probably the decision. After talking with coach and thinking over what really motivates me right now, I'm going to shoot for a marathon and specifically the Limerick marathon in May. The why is simple, I've a bit of a chip on my shoulder regarding the marathon and definetely Limerick as it was my first one which went horrifically bad. The distance hasn't been kind to me but in some fooked up corner of my mind, that makes me want to slay the beast and I can't get away from the nagging motivation to give it one last try. The goal is of course a sub-3 and I know if I can put together 24 solid weeks, that's definitely in the realm of possibility. Coach is on board from today so I'm looking forward to seeing what's in store. One big change for me already is that I have to wear a garmin full-time for now(I literally despise it and haven't worn one for pretty much 4 years) but it will help him help me so I will. Full racing schedule is now sorted:

Newmarket 5k(December)
    Adare 10k(February)
    County 4(March)
    Mallow 10(March)
    Munster 4(April I think)
    Limerick Marathon(May)

I dropped the Waterford half and Munster Indermediate because I'm not in shape to suffer through any more races right now. So nothing more to do than start prepping today.

Wed 14th Nov- 6.5m Easy(8:42avg)

Beating down with rain and wind this morning when I headed out for this. Thankfully, a tailwind helped me out the door and I wasn't feeling too bad. First few miles were up and down and just trying to concentrate on extending the hips behind me to take the pressure off my calves which seemed to fare a little better for it. Headed out into the countryside after 3 miles for a a slightly longer loop. The first 2 miles of the loop are heavenly, gradual downhill with a lively surface so in cruise control but whast goes down must come up and the last 1.5 miles average 4% and that's with a downhill in the middle so it was tough enough going for an easy run towards the end especially with a 20mph headwind the whole way:pac:

Body felt good though and calves were on best behavior, I'd take that every day of the week:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Looking forward to following your training for Limerick. Best of luck with it.

Thurs 15th Nov- 7m Easy(8:43)

Wet and windy again this morning and handy 7 on the cards. Calves behaving again as the focus was on keeping my heel down as long as I can through push off. Consequence of that seems to be less strain on calves but a slightly sticky tfl and a flatter stride. I may be switching one problem out for another but I'll take the tired tfl over the strained calves if this works out as I think gaining flexibility in the hips will be easier(it surely can't be any harder). Few too many layers as it was fairly warm for this time of year but that's about the only real issue for this run and a very minor one at that.

158bpm avg Z2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Best of luck with the goal.

I won't give any advice regarding training and racing, between you and your coach you know what needs to be done.

The one bit of advice I will give though is forget about the end game (I know that might sound counter productive)

Goals can be great but anyone can put a goal down, that is the easy part. The hard part is making the tough decisions that will lead you to succeed in your goal and this is something formed through habits.

Don't try and do things perfect, try and do things better.

Start each day anew and focus on making it a good day, work day to day and they will turn to weeks then to months. Training is only 1 hr of a day, there are 23 more to fúck it up. Let the training look after itself and focus on doing the other things throughout the day; manage your stress, get good rest, fuel your body well, look after yourself.

You have said you have a chip on your shoulder about slaying the beast and tackling the marathon. Remember that throughout your training and don't just make it a good soundbite. There is no reason you can't hit that target physically based off your times but that won't make it automatic.

Cheers L! I hear you, embrace the lifestyle and the consistency will follow. There's no fear of chasing of chasing perfection anyway as I'm not ready to live the full monk life just yet but I have made commitments which I think will improve alot of aspects.

1. Accountability to coach, this is probably a bigger step than the training. He's checking in daily with me and I don't feel like wasting his time as the man has a heart of gold

2. Alcohol. Haven't touched a drop in 7 weeks, have two cheat days pencilled in at Christmas but like last year when training for Dublin, I'm off the drink for the last 16 weeks of training.

3. I need to improve my diet, I noticed in the buildup to Dublin last year that I got sick a lot(I think 3 times in 20 weeks and they persisted longer than I hoped) so I'm planning to eat more frequently with smaller portions of variety to prevent this as best as I can.

4. Recovery. I think I'm in a much better place generally right now with this than I was. That god damn job nearly killed me physically and mentally with the hours, physical labour and trying to train late at night on 2 mile loops. This probably also contributed to 3.

5. Motivation. That's there and not just a soundbite, I just needed a good ass whooping to start thinking about where I'm going.

6. Groups. I've been training completely solo for years now as no one around here runs. Solo has it's benefits as you have more control over training but I think sacrificing a bit of that control isn't a bad thing every now and then by having a bit of craic on a Saturday club Long run to lighten the athomsphere. My brother is also switching from cycling to adventure racing so I'll have some mid-week company on some days.

7. Goals. Let's just say I'm as bitter about this xc season went as I am about my previous marathons:pac: progress and process are what I'm looking for long-term and I need to break up that into short-term goals which excite me and feel close.

I'm hoping all 7 of those together will improve my consistency, I think they are all relatively minor changes which could add up to how I approach and react to training. But I'm all talk as of yet.

Sounds like good plans there! Getting company on the odd run definitely can't be a bad thing - that's one of my aims for the new year myself.
    Hope it all goes well for you, will be looking forward to hearing about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

how about the elephant in the room?

RayCun wrote: »
    how about the elephant in the room?

I think the days days of that being an elephant is the room are long gone, I'd say each page of my old log was another form of godwins law:).

The reason I try to refrain from talking about it alot and honestly get frustrated with it is because people are telling me what I already know and what am I supposed to say? I know people are trying to be helpful and what they say is true but I can't guarantee anything and saying anything is just an empty promise until I do it so I'm stuck in corner of just trying to please people with an answer which I can't say for sure is true or say nothing at all until I do it and answering those questions all the time wears me down.

I know the simple answer to solve that and much more is to quit but it's not easy and I can't say for sure when. If I do set a date like in the past, each failed attempt gets magnified here constantly and only adds to the frustration. I want to quit but I can't say it will be next Tuesday or 2036, I'll only know when I do it.I think it's one of those things you can only change yourself and is void of all rational thought I'm sorry if this comes across a bit defensive(maybe it is) but that's the way I feel about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I don't mean to nag, but it probably makes a bigger difference than cleaning up your diet, or a few beers on the weekend.

RayCun wrote: »
    I don't mean to nag, but it probably makes a bigger difference than cleaning up your diet, or a few beers on the weekend.

Definitely, but I only mentioned those as areas I know I can improve with ease right now that will make a difference to my running.

As for a few beers, they're usually only the warmup on a weekend. booze is probably the most damaging vice in terms of my consistency in running. I'm either all in on one or the other. Jaysus, I sound like a right problem case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nobody’s perfect! Definitely not me. I share some of the imperfections you listed for sure, and I’d wager that most runners here do too.

Ray’s question was inevitable - can you lay out an honest seven-point improvement plan without mentioning the eighth? Even if it’s being parked, it might be acknowledged as an ‘improvement goal’ (or something). It’s not a rabbit in the room, it’s a genuine elephant, that (for most runners, maybe not you) would tend to loom larger than some of the other seven, as Ray suggests.

One of the good things about this particular online environment is that you’re not alone. Many of us share the imperfections. Some of us know what the elephant is. A few more have successfully escorted it out of the room. I’ve said it before, when you’re ready, it’s not that hard.

But yeah, nagging doesn’t help, and can be counter productive. I do believe that the elephant is far bigger and harder to banish than the other issues. Especially with a major endurance goal in the picture. But I won’t be mentioning it again! ;)

Good luck with the new regime and goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

You are either a smoker or a sex addict. I’m trying to read between the lines. If you’re a smoker give them up. If you’re a sex addict keep it up.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nobody’s perfect! Definitely not me. I share some of the imperfections you listed for sure, and I’d wager that most runners here do too.

But they are not imperfections when it comes to life outside the lens of running and I hope to never get to the point where I identify everything I enjoy that may be counterproductive to running performance as an imperfection. Not talking about smoking here.
    Ray’s question was inevitable - can you lay out an honest seven-point improvement plan without mentioning the eighth?

Yes because it wouldn't be honest to do so when I can't say with certainty that it is a change I can make right now. I could lay out a 1000 point improvement plan but just because I can write 1000 things doesn't mean anything in terms of carrying them out.

Even if it’s being parked, it might be acknowledged as an ‘improvement goal’ (or something). It’s not a rabbit in the room, it’s a genuine elephant, that (for most runners, maybe not you) would tend to loom larger than some of the other seven, as Ray suggests.

I don't underestimate the consequences on health and performance by any means. I know all the effects of it and I am not personally avoiding the issue irl. I just don't believe in making in making commitments I can't know I'll keep.

[/quote]One of the good things about this particular online environment is that you’re not alone. Many of us share the imperfections. Some of us know what the elephant is. A few more have successfully escorted it out of the room. I’ve said it before, when you’re ready, it’s not that hard.[/quote]

Agreed, I think this is something that all the people in the world could say and give reasons why not to do it but means nothing until you do it yourself.
    But yeah, nagging doesn’t help, and can be counter productive. I do believe that the elephant is far bigger and harder to banish than the other issues. Especially with a major endurance goal in the picture. But I won’t be mentioning it again! ;)

Good luck with the new regime and goals.

Thanks, I know it seems like I'm having a go at you all here and being a stubborn bollix but I couldn't agree more with what you are all saying. I think no one just understands what I'm saying and thats why I didn't bring it up. It's not like training advice or such that makes sense and I can just click my fingers and change it.

This log is starting to feel way too much like a therapy session which is the opposite reason to why I started a new one. I just like running
    You are either a smoker or a sex addict. I’m trying to read between the lines. If you’re a smoker give them up. If you’re a sex addict keep it up.

I was praying no one would bring up smoking as well

• Advertisement

Fri 17th Nov- 5m Easy(8:32)

Will the wind ever fook off!! Kept it flat and handy today as I knew what was to come tomorrow

Sat 18th Nov- 12m Mountain trail fartlek(8:59)

This was a bit like a born again baptism into the church of long run only with acid instead of holy water. Calves did not like the first mile of this at all making tracks up the first 6% section of road to the old forestry loop. 1.8kloop with a long 1200m gradual downhill and 600m of steep climb up to the start again. Pushed the hills moderately and recovered on the downhill. More headwind on the on the uphill made it tougher again. First few laps weren't too bad getting into the stride but the plan was to switch direction halfway through the run so my recovery was cut to 600m down the steep hill and pushing the 1200m up the more gradual climb so the legs were starting to wear down quickly once I hit it. Started to struggle for the last 2 miles with my back and shoulders starting to seize up along with my legs fatiguing but managed to finish in one piece.

Tough going, 1,200ft of elevation gain in total. Next weeks long run should feel like a breeze after that. Good days work!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Did you give the fags up yet........ Joking aside, best of luck with the goals. Not having a go, but follow through on them this time, your more than capable.

Sun 18th Nov- 5m Rec(9:21)

Legs were a bit dead this morning. Really handy run on the cards anyway so no problem there, run didn't bring any life back into them as the muscles didn't really warm up but 5 miles more miles tacked on to the week. Feel much better this evening after a hot espom salts bath and 15 minutes on the roller. Just general tiredness from yesterday.

Tue 20th Nov- 6m Easy(8:17)

This is probably the best I've felt on any single run in a long time, weather was nice and crisp, the legs were full of pop and I almost felt like I was floating around. No pain anywhere and I actually think my form was the cause of my calf problems. A photo of me during the xc season this year is what set me off on this.

https://i.imgur.com/qzblSKU.jpg

I seem to be running a bit like a 800m runner and getting quick with the foot. Heel is well off the ground and too up on my toes through mid-stance putting all my weight on the calves almost like running a whole race doing plyometrics. Some of the cues I've been using are to keep the heel down through that phase and pull my hips through to get the glutes taking the power. I don't know if that the right thing but it seems to work anyway.

Wed 21st Nov- 6m inc. 6x3mins w/2min Rec

Sweet mother of god! If I thought the long run was baptism by acid, this was like sunbathing on Mercury. I've only done two speed sessions since Spring 2016 so I'd kind of forgot what they are like so I went into this in an ignorant bliss and an atitude of bang out 18 minutes and go back to the couch, easy! Not a good idea to go into a workout in that mindframe.

Problem 1- Everything faster than 8min miles feels fast so I couldn't judge pace, watch would ricochet from anywhere between 5 minute mile pace to near 7's if I stopped paying attention.

Problem 2- I can be cocky going into workouts at the best of times

Problem 3- I decided to find the only flat piece of ground in my town which involves playing russian roulette with a road crossing

Problem 4- I made the inevitable mistake of going out like a thoroughbred and finishing like a knackered ass

Rep pace-

6:05
    6:16
    6:12
    6:28(car)
    6:21
    6:35(car)

Problem 5- the cars didn't slow me down much.

Makes for entertaining reading, at least ;) You have a way with words.

First speed session in a long while - good sign? How do you feel after it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    Wed 21st Nov- 6m inc. 6x3mins w/2min Rec

Sweet mother of god! If I thought the long run was baptism by acid, this was like sunbathing on Mercury. I've only done two speed sessions since Spring 2016 so I'd kind of forgot what they are like so I went into this in an ignorant bliss and an atitude of bang out 18 minutes and go back to the couch, easy! Not a good idea to go into a workout in that mindframe.

I've my first speed session in a long time coming up and I am terrified.

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    Problem 5- the cars didn't slow me down much.

Careful now.

eyrie wrote: »
    Makes for entertaining reading, at least ;) You have a way with words.

First speed session in a long while - good sign? How do you feel after it?

Just having a bit of fun with it:).

I've two 5k's coming up this side of Christmas and still a bit out from straight marathon training so I think he wants me to get a bit of speed in. I got a glimpse of the plan last week and it looks a lot more intensive than what I done for Dublin last year where the goal was to keep just to keep me running. His words this time were "no pissing about, we'll give this one a right go" so the plan is going to be much harder, I seen 70 mile weeks with workouts so that's going to be a new level for me.

The session last night was tough, I've no real speed in my legs right now so it felt a bit like sprinting and I was hoping I'd be able to maintain around 6:15 pace which would suggest I could run around around 19 mid for 5k right now. Not quite there yet but it's early days and I'm happy enough with it, I know if I keep on it, I'll improve.

I feel alright this morning, I'm not fit enough to really hurt myself yet. Bit like a diesel engine, I've got a low redline from the absense of speedwork. I was gassing out more than my slowing from pain.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I've my first speed session in a long time coming up and I am terrified.

Careful now.

Haha, you'll be fine;). Just do the opposite of whatever I do and you won't be too far the mark:)

Thur 22nd Nov- 6m Easy(8:31)

Handy miles are handy! Felt alright after the speed session, It's funny that even a day after a short workout, I always feel faste and have a bit of pop in my stride. Not in a feeling a million bucks kind of way but just cover the ground easier.

Fri 23rd Nov- 6m Easy(8:38)

Handy few laps around town in the dark.

Sat 24th November- 12m Long Run(8:21)

Left this late in the day, was considering doing it tomorrow but just said fook it, I'll do it now while I'm at nothing else. Went for the Knocfierna loop which has probably one of the toughest climbs around here. First few miles clipped past nicely to get to the base of the first climb Orchard rd which averages 6% over 2.2k, kind of pushed it on here but felt good getting to the top before sitting back on the ridiculous descent down the other side. Every time I do this route, I always forget the next part from granagh into Knocfierna town, it's not that long but bloody hell, it's steep; there must be parts here hitting well into double digits on grade as I almost come to a standstill every time I run it. There is no pace you can slow to make it easy. Was getting close to redlining on the last 100m so eased up to give the hamstrings a break. Last 2 miles back into town lose nearly 600ft in elavation so not too bad and the body felt good before knocking off a few laps around town to bring it to twelve for the day.

Good week overall, definitely the best I've felt in years about running as the ease of getting the miles in feels effortless. I can feel the fitness coming back quickly as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Delighted things are going so well for you. That's a couple of very upbeat weeks.

Advertisement