Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxation of SUSI payments

• 24-10-2018 5:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Are SUSI maintenance grants considered as income for taxation purposes? I've been googling for an hour and can't find the answer to this anywhere. If anyone could point me in the right direction i'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Time wrote: »
    Hi all,

Are SUSI maintenance grants considered as income for taxation purposes? I've been googling for an hour and can't find the answer to this anywhere. If anyone could point me in the right direction i'd appreciate it.

No not income for taxation purposes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Happy4all wrote: »
    No not income for taxation purposes

Is that published anywhere though? I haven't been able to find it or anything relating to personal grants at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 spoiler

Grants are not taxable income. The SUSI grant is paid to help your child go to University so would never be seen as additional income you get it because your income is below a certain level. It is to help the child go to University if the child didn't go to University you wouldn't get it so hence it is not a taxable source of income. If you don't believe me like everyone else ring revenue and ask them.

spoiler wrote: »
    Grants are not taxable income. The SUSI grant is paid to help your child go to University so would never be seen as additional income you get it because your income is below a certain level. It is to help the child go to University if the child didn't go to University you wouldn't get it so hence it is not a taxable source of income. If you don't believe me like everyone else ring revenue and ask them.

I'm not doubting you, i was just trying to find a source on it to show someone. I'll tell them to ring revenue tomorrow, they were closed by the time i'd posted and i thought i might get a solid answer from here before the morning.

Thanks anyway

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

The treatment of grants is in the taxes consolidation act, which is available online, if that helps. It's unlikely, to be honest, that the person on the phone in Revenue will be able to direct you to a written source off the top of their head, if you have been googling for hour and not found one, as to them it is common knowledge.

Why exactly do you need a written source for this?

• Advertisement

wiggle16 wrote: »
    The treatment of grants is in the taxes consolidation act, which is available online, if that helps. It's unlikely, to be honest, that the person on the phone in Revenue will be able to direct you to a written source off the top of their head, if you have been googling for hour and not found one, as to them it is common knowledge.

Why exactly do you need a written source for this?

I didn’t even need it at all, it was just annoying me that I couldn’t find the answer. I’m sure it all got sorted anyway.

Advertisement