Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salvia Caradonna

Options
  • 24-10-2018 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi to all

I planted a bed full of Salvia Caradonna earlier this year. It's still in flower (only just) but it's got quite overgrown looking.

Does it die back naturally? Do I cut it back now? If so, how far down?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, its a herbaceous plant and that is pretty much what they do this time of year. Earlier in the year you would cut the flowering stems down to the next ready-to-flower sideshoots. Now though I suggest you just clip out the flowering stems. If it were me I would take a shears to it and take of any straggly looking top leaf growth too, but I am a member of the hack em down school of plant care so you don't have to take that suggestion on board!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

looksee wrote: »
    Yes, its a herbaceous plant and that is pretty much what they do this time of year. Earlier in the year you would cut the flowering stems down to the next ready-to-flower sideshoots. Now though I suggest you just clip out the flowering stems. If it were me I would take a shears to it and take of any straggly looking top leaf growth too, but I am a member of the hack em down school of plant care so you don't have to take that suggestion on board!

Thanks for the reply! I deadheaded the blooms down to the next side shoots and that's what kept it blooming all summer.

I'm a bit of a hacker myself. I'm very tempted to take them down to about 6 inches from the ground but I don't want to do damage to the plants at the risk of ruining them for next year......decisions decisions......

No, just go with the taking out the flowering stems till you get the feel of them, you will know next spring if they need a bit of leaf tidying.

No, just go with the taking out the flowering stems till you get the feel of them, you will know next spring if they need a bit of leaf tidying.[/QUOTE

Thanks for this. Will go easy as you suggest. I guess the leaves on the stems below the flowers will protect the plant from winter frosts. They're so scraggly that I think they will need a major shave in the spring.

Thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The flowers of salvia when dried make fantastic tea.

• Advertisement

The flowers of salvia when dried make fantastic tea.

I didn't know that.....worth a try, for sure!

jomalone14 wrote: »
    I didn't know that.....worth a try, for sure!

Very popular in eastern Europe. Only available in pharmacy.

There is of course a difference between fresh flowers picked and dried, and dead yokes that have dried on the stem :D

There is of course a difference between fresh flowers picked and dried, and dead yokes that have dried on the stem :D

Very important point :)

Very important point :)

Ha ha I'll have to wait til next year for my salvia cuppa so :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement