Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle theft and equipment insurance cover

Options
  • 24-10-2018 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey all,
    My bike recently got stolen, the thief used a angle grinder just destroyed the chain and the alarmed disc lock.

I'm trying to get at least some money back from my insurance (liberty).
    Their policy document states:

"We will pay for loss of or damage to the
    motorcycle or its accessories and spare
    parts while they are on your motorcycle."

but now they're backtracking and telling me they won't cover the chain, disc lock and givi box because "they are not permanently attached to the Vehicle". There's no exception like that in the document, the only exception is for helmets and protective equipment.

Am I getting scammed here or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

The locks i can understand, I presume the top box was aftermarket and wasn't reported to them, which could then have increased your policy if it was. To be honest it soumds about right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Reading the above it would appear that Liberty are trying it on. A security chain and lock and also a top box are accessories. Might be worth telling them to think again or you will go to the Insurance Ombudsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Only thing I would add, after I crashed my bike I was trying to find out some basic information and the call centre staff had no clue on some very basic stuff; I asked to speak to manager who knew what they were talking about. Contact them again and see if you can escalate the call to a team leader or manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

Yeah, good luck with that...

I got my Givi back box covered under a claim years ago, but only cos I told them I had one when starting out, and they told me that if I hadn't mentioned it it would not have been covered. However, they didn't include the chain that was cut despite the fact that I told them about that too as it is not permanently attached.

From my experience with claims the guys in the call centre don't know anything cos they don't deal with claims, only the claims dept will be able to help you out. AXA were actually great when I had a claim, luckily haven't needed to use anyone else since.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Emmersonn wrote: »

Reading the above it would appear that Principal are trying it on. A security chain and lock and also a top box are accessories. Might be worth telling them to think again or you will go to the Insurance Ombudsman.

insurance (liberty).

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    Only thing I would add, after I crashed my bike I was trying to find out some basic information and the call centre staff had no clue on some very basic stuff; I asked to speak to manager who knew what they were talking about. Contact them again and see if you can escalate the call to a team leader or manager.

Do this!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

listermint wrote: »
    insurance (liberty).[/U][/B]
    My mistake. now fixed as it was a quote from Liberty that the op quoted. Still does'nt change the fact that Liberty are trying it on. Can you give any other advise to the op listerment ? :P

Emmersonn wrote: »
    My mistake. now fixed as it was a quote from Liberty that the op quoted. Still does'nt change the fact that Liberty are trying it on. Can you give any other advise to the op listerment ? :P

I can, Make sure your phoning the right insurance company up. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Goose81

jigsty wrote: »
    Hey all,
    My bike recently got stolen, the thief used a angle grinder just destroyed the chain and the alarmed disc lock.

I'm trying to get at least some money back from my insurance (liberty).
    Their policy document states:

but now they're backtracking and telling me they won't cover the chain, disc lock and givi box because "they are not permanently attached to the Vehicle". There's no exception like that in the document, the only exception is for helmets and protective equipment.

Am I getting scammed here or what?

No they are doing you a favor not paying out. Have you ever claimed before?

If you claim for a lock , next time you go to change insurance company on a car or a bike and they ask have you made any claims on a policy in the last 5 years whether you were at fault or not, your answer will be yes and most won't even quote you then or load your policy when they quote you. I speak from unfortunate experience

Edit sorry I see they took the bike, however the point still stands for anyone thinking about claiming for an accessory

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

zubair wrote: »
    The locks i can understand, I presume the top box was aftermarket and wasn't reported to them, which could then have increased your policy if it was. To be honest it soumds about right.

Considering the lock is what's used to prevent it's theft in the first place, I don't know how it can be considered an 'accessory' and I'd fight that and make it a 'necessity'. Ditto the Givi box - you need somewhere to put the lock when you're riding it.......

In fact, I guarantee if you told them the bike was stolen and didn't have a lock, they'd be the first to point out you didn't take reasonable measures to secure it.

Insurance co's: ffs.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement