Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GP recommendation for combined prenatal care - help!

Options
  • 25-10-2018 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for reading! I am about 6 weeks pregnancy. First baby, second pregnancy as had a miscarraige a few months ago. I am hoping to do domino scheme in the coombe (all feedback welcome?) but I have never had a regular GP in Dublin and will need one for combined care. So all suggestions welcome from those of you who have had good prenatal gp care please?

I phoned the Domino scheme midwives to ask about ther service and the midwife I spoke to was so lovely but recommended finding a GP i feel confident in as half appointments will be with GP. I have never had more than a disinterested 5 mins with any gp in dublin before!

I am crumlin based but could go D12, D8, D6, D6W, D24, D16 or Dub 14 easily enough. The midwife clinics are local to me in crumlin so dont mind a little drive. I would love to find a GP with a special interest in maternal / child health. If they had a feotal scanner it would be a bonus. I know thats rare though!

Thanks everyone 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Edoyle6 wrote:
    I am crumlin based but could go D12, D8, D6, D6W, D24, D16 or Dub 14 easily enough. The midwife clinics are local to me in crumlin so dont mind a little drive. I would love to find a GP with a special interest in maternal / child health. If they had a feotal scanner it would be a bonus. I know thats rare though!

I attend a great practice in Tallaght but really you should try to find a GP in Crumlin. When you're heavily pregnant you do not want to have to trek out to Tallaght etc, you need it to be local.

After my baby was born I had to go to the GP 5 times over 2 weeks to have my blood pressure checked as I had had pre eclampsia. I also had a caesarean section so I can't drive, and have had my dad driving me everywhere. If you have a section and require regular follow up after the birth, you do not want to have to trek out far, another reason to keep it local.

Finally, this GP could be a long term care provider for you and your baby; if your baby is ever sick, you really really dont want to have to trek out far. Imagine sitting in traffic with a sick baby when you've been up all night and could even be sick yourself.

Sorry to reply with no recommendation and sorry to seem so negative, but you need to think long term here. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I cannot fault the care I have had with Dr Jean Gallagher in Ranelagh Medical. She has young kids herself so is very understanding. I've just had my baby so will be going back to her for the 2 and 6 weeks appointments.

A good GP is invaluable in pregnancy and with small kids. I have a toddler and they can be very hard work at medical appointments unless the doctor can win them over. We are moving up to Malahide and I am gutted that I will have to leave her. Hope I can find someone as good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I’m hoping someone can advise you on a good doctor in your immediate area! Mine is in Churchtown D14 and I couldn’t be happier with her. She’s seen me through 3 pregnancies, two kids so far and has been a godsend. She does have a special interest in maternal health and paediatrics. No scanner machine however. She’s no nonsense or beating around the bush and I feel like she is very much a good advocate for me and great for advice. The practise also has a midwife who I see too, years of experience in the Coombe and she’s been excellent pre and post natal.

I say all this because while yes I can agree with pp saying proximity is important, for me the doctor being good trumps that. So I don’t mind the car journey to see her. Baring in mind it’s only about 10/15 mins for me in the car (I’m in Knocklyon). There’s no way I would settle for a less satisfactory doctor for a closer one. I’m sure there are great ones in your area though, you just need a recommendation!

Advertisement