Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Some of the levels in Alien Trilogy are a pain alright but I've always liked it and I even have the soundtrack on my PC!

I really must give Resurrection a proper go though, had it back in the day but never got far into it.

*unfollow thread*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I think Die Hard Trilogy was impressive because after the previous decade of multi genre licensed game tie ins it was a relative masterpiece. All the games were somewhat slight in the gameplay department, but a graphical spectacle. Just the 20th century fox intro made it feel more cinematic than a hundred 3do games. I'd rather judge something in the context it was released in.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Die Hard II was the only part of that game I liked, and it was only because there was nothing as good on the PS at the time.
    I mean, the Saturn had an embarrasingly good range of lightgun games, from VC to HotD.
    I wasn't a massive Time Crisis or Point Blank fan either.
    While Die Hard II was a mess of polygons and noise, they were most often fun polygons and noise.
    I wasn't a fan of Alien Trilogy either, better FPS titles out there and Alien Resurrection rendered it moot anyway.

Time Crisis on the PS1 was a million times better than HOTD or VC, I'll fight any man that says otherwise :pac:

Shooting off screen to reload seemed so incredibly archaic after Time Crisis actually gave you a button to duck down and control what was happening on screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Is anyone here getting the Evercade? I saw it on Amazon for about 90 euro. I guess a Switch could do more, even a PSP, but it seemed pretty cool and I especially liked the box formats, like old Mega Drive boxes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Is anyone here getting the Evercade? I saw it on Amazon for about 90 euro. I guess a Switch could do more, even a PSP, but it seemed pretty cool and I especially liked the box formats, like old Mega Drive boxes.
    I'm thinking of it, although it has to be said I've umpteen ways to play these games on other systems, hacked and otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    Time Crisis on the PS1 was a million times better than HOTD or VC, I'll fight any man that says otherwise :pac:

Shooting off screen to reload seemed so incredibly archaic after Time Crisis actually gave you a button to duck down and control what was happening on screen.

Time Crisis is great and all but it's very simple compared to the scoring system of virtua cop. It's a whole extra level of replayability.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I remember Time Crisis was huge, almost worth the broken controllers being used as foot pedals on the floor!
    But Virtua Cop 2 was just outstanding.
    I must say, while it never really could replicate the arcade, Silent Scope was fantastic.
    The DC was a great host system for light gun games too, Confidential Mission and HotD2.
    The Xbox didn't do too badly either.

Master of the Universe

I quite liked the Silent Scope home rifle alright, it didnt replicate the arcade version perfectly but it was a really novel solution of dealing with the scope.

I always really wanted to buy a broken arcade rifle and transplant the home version inside of it. Should actually work if your arcade rifle scope was hollowed out without an LCD and had the censor mounted somewhere near the eyepiece.

Would be a heavy bastard of a yolk though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Pity none of the arcades I checked around got in Time Crisis 5 or Virtua Cop 3.

Got a chance to play VC3 once in the US, the bullet time pedal was an interesting mechanic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I have to disagree , I played a lot of Die Hard Trilogy ( as back then I worked in a shop that sold ,amongst other things games, and we played it a lot after hours).And while DH 1 was bobbins , 2 was a really fun light gun game , and 3 was a fun racer/dash across town in a taxi cab game.
    Die Hard Trilogy 2 though was ****.

• Advertisement

I'm not playing as many games as I'd like this winter holidays, I seem to be addicted to Gravity Falls instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Just re-watching some old footage of International Superstar Soccer '64, there, with it's great gameplay and hilariously uneven commentary.

"England.... play GREECE!!!!!" etc.

What I've always wanted to know is who did they hire to do the commentary? I know Tony Gubba did the sequel (ISS '98), but the original guy was not Tony Gubba, was he? Whoever it was had the tone of someone who does football commentary, like it's really characteristic of that voice that you always heard over a division 2 game in the 90s, but he's not credited anywhere in the game, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

Dr Bob wrote: »
    I have to disagree , I played a lot of Die Hard Trilogy ( as back then I worked in a shop that sold ,amongst other things games, and we played it a lot after hours).And while DH 1 was bobbins , 2 was a really fun light gun game , and 3 was a fun racer/dash across town in a taxi cab game.
    Die Hard Trilogy 2 though was ****.

Same here. The issues mentioned didn't stop me from completing 2 and 3, I would say it's one ot the best value early action games on PS1, I certainly got a lot of mileage out of it.

I have a save state on my memory card from about maybe 5 or 6 years ago for Die Hard, and I'm near the end of the game with every hostage saved so far.

One of the levels gives you about 5 seconds after the start of the level before a hostage is killed and I just about managed to kill the terrorist in time after several attempts.

Its probably the hardest thing to do In the game.

The airport level in Die Hard 2 is probably my favourite level in a PS1 game too, it's just so polished and so destructible, they really tried to get it looking it's best for that demo disc.
    The track playing in the background really adds to the atmosphere also.

Sadly the level design declines you progress but it's still a lot of fun.

There's actually a cheat code for an in game level editor for Die Hard 2..
    I was able to change the path you take but couldn't figure out how to place / move enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

So I re-released a Earthworm Jim shirt yesterday. But something pretty cool happened afterwards. The nephew of one of the developers of the original sega games ordered one and told me about his uncle working on both games.

His uncle has unfortunately passed away a good while ago but he's ordered a shirt to be sent to his aunt (Devs wife)

I'll make sure to include some cool extras and let her know how much the games her husband made inspired me so much....I'll also refund the order once it ships ��

BBCHlPc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Any alternatives to parcel motel for a uk address?

Amazon cancelled the preorders I had for Feb.

On ebay I've set my irish address as the default but the few auctions I've won suddenly say "seller does not ship to your address". No idea why it let me bid in the first place.

What about ordering from nintendo.co.uk now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Any alternatives to parcel motel for a uk address?

Amazon cancelled the preorders I had for Feb.

On ebay I've set my irish address as the default but the few auctions I've won suddenly say "seller does not ship to your address". No idea why it let me bid in the first place.

What about ordering from nintendo.co.uk now?

Address Pal are still operating.

Had an order cancelled too. Amazon UK cancelled all pre-orders to EU addresses shipping after today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I'll try it in a quote, was showing a double post, not sure if it shows tweets for everyone.
    Hope we can have a beers next year <3

EqiFq8pVoAAX2gy?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I’d be wary of AP at the moment, First time I’ve used addresspal, buy they received a parcel on the 18th for me, I have pod from courier and no sign of any tracking on it from APs side, I’ve had a few phone calls but have a bad feeling it’s never gonna show up, the signature on the POD is a line too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

What’s the going rate for a Vectrex?

*I don’t have one to sell, I’m looking to buy

• Advertisement

I've hammered myself buying Veccy stuff
    The VibRibbon port VecRibbon has been released as a demo and it's fantastic, and they have opened pre-orders for the game, so I'm treating myself to it.
    https://shatteredscreens.com/product/vecribbon-pre-order/

Master of the Universe

I can't believe I'm actually posting this...

Sonic 1 prototype has been found, dumped and is available online :eek:

https://sonicretro.org/2021/01/01/finally-a-prototype-for-the-original-sonic-the-hedgehog-has-been-found/

I haven't really had time to read that article fully as I'm too busy currently loading it onto a flash cart!

Master of the Universe

Green Hill Zone has the boulders, Marble Zone has the UFOs in the sky, it's the lost Wayne's World video proto.

There are so many differences my brain is currently melting.

If anyone is giving it a go, you can get to the level select by pressing A and Start at the start screen. Few levels arent available if you just play it straight through normally.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I can't believe I'm actually posting this...

Sonic 1 prototype has been found, dumped and is available online :eek:

https://sonicretro.org/2021/01/01/finally-a-prototype-for-the-original-sonic-the-hedgehog-has-been-found/

I haven't really had time to read that article fully as I'm too busy currently loading it onto a flash cart!

Cool, I've a Megadrive Mini incoming and, naturally, I'll be loading it with everything, including the best of the hacks and protos, including this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

A new Summoning Salt video...always a treat

Super Kart ZX

https://srperez.itch.io/smk-zx

A Windows based recreation of Super Mario Kart with support for upto 4 players, a new cup and new tracks.

I wonder how long it with last before the big N object?

^^ Grabbed it there before it gains more exposure and threatens the very existence of Nintendo...

Looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

While bringing the decorations down from the attic last month, I saw a box full of N64 games that I haven't used in almost 2 years. In general I only picked up small bits and pieces over the years but I have spent more time collecting than playing the last year or so. Apart from my gamecube collection, I don't have much in the way of value, but theres a lot there and it just seems to be taking up space more and more recently. I'd much rather see a game enjoyed than in a box, never to see the light of day.

I'd like to get your opinions on it. Is this just a fleeting feeling or am I coming to terms with letting go? Have any of you sold a load of stuff and instantly regretted it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

barryribs wrote: »
    but theres a lot there and it just seems to be taking up space more and more recently. I'd much rather see a game enjoyed than in a box, never to see the light of day.

I'd like to get your opinions on it. Is this just a fleeting feeling or am I coming to terms with letting go? Have any of you sold a load of stuff and instantly regretted it?

I have the same issue, no space and taking up room, would prefer to see people playing them at this stage. It is perhaps fleeting but they will be going on the boards marketplace as soon as i get my finger out.

Advertisement