Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I do find the way these sort of legacy anthologies are being released these days rather frustrating. I’d be very interested in the Darius ones, but there are three separate collections needed to get the lot. Well over a hundred quid for them digitally, and around two hundred for the standard physical editions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

I do find the way these sort of legacy anthologies are being released these days rather frustrating. I’d be very interested in the Darius ones, but there are three separate collections needed to get the lot. Well over a hundred quid for them digitally, and around two hundred for the standard physical editions.

Very much agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It’s marginally better than last gen (or last, last gen at the rate/PS3 era), where it felt like every last damn thing was split up for individual release on digital storefronts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seems to be a way to sell the physical copies which is kind of a dick move when they are single print runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I think the costs associated with getting digital games approved and released on all these different platforms isn't trivial and the audience for them is quite limited so they tend to price gouge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Not exactly officially retro , but !976 return to Midway has a demo on Oculus Quest (its also on regular VR as well)

Basically 1942 , but you at certain sections you actually fly the plane in first person view , its actually pretty good . Its from the same people who did Operation Warcade (basically Operation Wolf in VR)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Anyone who's into console repair here, can I get a quote on my PS3? Because the Bluray laser is dead on my Super Slim (CD and DVD laser function as normal), and the repair place near here said I'd be better off just getting another console, since they say it'll take around €115 to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Anyone who's into console repair here, can I get a quote on my PS3? Because the Bluray laser is dead on my Super Slim (CD and DVD laser function as normal), and the repair place near here said I'd be better off just getting another console, since they say it'll take around €115 to replace it.
    Which place gave you the €115 quote? I've been looking for a place to unbollix my launch PS3 since August with scarcely a reply, let alone a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,215 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I don't think the PS3 super slim had a separate laser for bluray, it's all the same unit.

Not sure who gave you that €115 quote but that's ridiculous... you can get replacement lasers for about a tenner from China.

Tell you what, I'm used to electronics repair. I haven't done this particular repair myself but I've had a look at a YouTube video and it doesn't seem any more complicated than repairs I've done in the past.

When Lockdown restrictions have eased a little bit I'd be happy to take a look at it for you for the price of a few beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

MrVestek wrote: »
    I don't think the PS3 super slim had a separate laser for bluray, it's all the same unit.

Not sure who gave you that €115 quote but that's ridiculous... you can get replacement lasers for about a tenner from China.

Tell you what, I'm used to electronics repair. I haven't done this particular repair myself but I've had a look at a YouTube video and it doesn't seem any more complicated than repairs I've done in the past.

When Lockdown restrictions have eased a little bit I'd be happy to take a look at it for you for the price of a few beers.
    Big bag o' cans, 'tis.

I should probably mention that with lockdown being as prolonged as it is, and my general impatience, I might as well just get a new console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Well here's a cool factoid I didn't know - if you have two Megadrive arcade sticks, you can configure both Robotron and Smash TV to use both sticks for one player, effectively playing the games as twin stick shooters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Well here's a cool factoid I didn't know - if you have two Megadrive arcade sticks, you can configure both Robotron and Smash TV to use both sticks for one player, effectively playing the games as twin stick shooters.

What?
    Is that the version of Robotron on the Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits compilation?
    I must dig it out and give it a whirl!

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What?
    Is that the version of Robotron on the Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits compilation?
    I must dig it out and give it a whirl!

Apparently so! If you have two sticks and could try it out I'd be interested in hearing how it works out.

Saw someone post this pic over on reddit.

I doubt it would be very comfortable to do with actual sega arcade sticks as the sticks themselves are really long, have stiff throws and they're a bit unsteady.

Would work lovely with a couple of those Micomsoft sticks though.

twin-stick-sega.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've a couple of MD arcade sticks alright and I am pretty sure I have the Williams cart, if not there is the Everdrive to resort to.
    I'll check this evening and report back!

I just realised I have been modding this forum for 11 years this year!
    Jaysus...
    That's a long time idle!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just realised I have been modding this forum for 11 years this year!
    Jaysus...
    That's a long time idle!

I was going to say nothing has changed except for a few grey hairs but you've always been ancient.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I was going to say nothing has changed except for a few grey hairs but you've always been ancient.

I was going to argue with you but, on this occasion and this occasion alone, you are right :(
    I think I have aged due to modding this forum, and things only got worse when I ended up a mod on the Nintendo forum as well...

And, yes, both Super Smash TV and Robotron (on the Williams compilation) work beautifully with two controllers!
    Amazing!

Master of the Universe

And, yes, both Super Smash TV and Robotron (on the Williams compilation) work beautifully with two controllers!
    Amazing!

Thanks for testing it out, that is absolutely mental, how did we not know this already?!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Thanks for testing it out, that is absolutely mental, how did we not know this already?!

It's insane, I have owned the Williams compilation for years and didn't know.

The closest I've come to such a find myself is when I realised that Defender II works using both sticks on the 2600, and is then amazing!
    Apparently, there is a new port of Robotron coming for the 2600 that is incredible and it will also use two sticks fof that real arcade feel.

• Advertisement

Must have been some next level coding wizardry get that much out of the 2600. It looks spectacular.

Must have been some next level coding wizardry get that much out of the 2600. It looks spectacular.

I'm thinking of getting it, though I've spent rather too much on Vectrex stuff of late.

Bought another power cable for my JP Mega Drive 1 which wouldn't turn on. Light on the plug but still no red light on the front of the Mega Drive. Wondering if opening it up is going to do much if I don't have a soldering iron.

Bought another power cable for my JP Mega Drive 1 which wouldn't turn on. Light on the plug but still no red light on the front of the Mega Drive. Wondering if opening it up is going to do much if I don't have a soldering iron.

Probably not. More than likely it's capacitor issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

You can do a visual inspection, but in all likelihood it will be cap related as Retr0 says. It's the first step in fixing it anyway, crack it open & have a look for swollen/burst/leaking caps. Look for burned out traces on the pcb, unlikely to find any but worth looking. Whatever the issue it should be an easy fix for someone, the MD is quite a simple machine.

Master of the Universe

Might be worth checking to see if there are any broken traces or solder points around where the power chord connects to the Megadrive.

As it's one of the spots where people plug in and out a lot it can get broken.

Might also be worth having a fiddle around with the actual power button itself to make sure it's actually switching the console on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Last I checked a boxed 32X was around €200, that was maybe 18 months ago, if even. Now they're going for around €350-400? Christ.

Don't think I'll even bother checking a Mega CD, that was a similar price last I looked.

Is this the pandemic nonsense or is this just how it is now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-212r6kKC8

MisterCade - Looks like an alternative to analogue board with a JAMMA edge connector.

Might replace my ghetto JPAC and mini amp solution!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Last I checked a boxed 32X was around €200, that was maybe 18 months ago, if even. Now they're going for around €350-400? Christ.

Don't think I'll even bother checking a Mega CD, that was a similar price last I looked.

Is this the pandemic nonsense or is this just how it is now?

How it is now. Lads are throwing down mental money on the stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-212r6kKC8

MisterCade - Looks like an alternative to analogue board with a JAMMA edge connector.

Might replace my ghetto JPAC and mini amp solution!

That looks fantastic and its a great alternative to maintaining ageing arcade boards.
    Id actually prefer it to the hassle thats involved with arcade boards.

Advertisement