Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭megaten

I get my manga in Dublin City Comics and I've never had an issue with getting anything from them.

It is easier to get manga via Diamond rather than book wholesalers though.

Of course if a title is out of print it will be unavailable. I find Dark Horse to be particularly bad at keeping titles in print. Berserk is their highest selling title, even above their US stuff like Hellboy and a lot of the volumes a constantly unavailable due to low print runs.

Can only talk about my experience but I find new releases almost harder to get than older titles because they might not even be on the system until after release.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

megaten wrote: »
    Can only talk about my experience but I find new releases almost harder to get than older titles because they might not even be on the system until after release.

That's odd. All new stuff can be ordered from Diamond as soon as it is solicited in Previews, which is provided to every comic shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Berserk is their highest selling title, even above their US stuff like Hellboy and a lot of the volumes a constantly unavailable due to low print runs.

Don't get me started on that, I bought Berserk books 1-14 about ten years ago and recently got them out of storage.

My sisters surprised me with books 15-17 for Christmas. This happened:

IMG-20210222-121830877.jpg

Why Dark Horse why???? It's bad enough they were out of print, but then to go and change the spines?

To make it even worse, you can see there that my Volume 13 is missing, not sure where it is... can't buy a new copy as having one of the new spines in the middle of the old spines will actually give me an eye twitch every time I look at it.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Don't get me started on that, I bought Berserk books 1-14 about ten years ago and recently got them out of storage.

My sisters surprised me with books 15-17 for Christmas. This happened:

IMG-20210222-121830877.jpg

Why Dark Horse why???? It's bad enough they were out of print, but then to go and change the spines?

To make it even worse, you can see there that my Volume 13 is missing, not sure where it is... can't buy a new copy as having one of the new spines in the middle of the old spines will actually give me an eye twitch every time I look at it.

They didn't just change the spines, they changed the covers too. The artwork is the same, but they changed them to look closer to the layout of the Japanese volumes.

They've started to re-release some of their series in nice big hardback sets containing 3 volumes.

They've currently done this for Berserk, Hellsing and Blade of the Immortal.

Berserk is up to the 6th one now covering volumes 16-18. Giganto Maxia is the standard size of DH volumes.

544573.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Is miura going to finish Berserk or is he still addicted to waifu simulator Idolmaster?

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Is miura going to finish Berserk or is he still addicted to waifu simulator Idolmaster?

At least we got a new chapter and they're finally off that bloody boat :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

o1s1n wrote: »
    I find it interesting and at the same time disheartening to see how much people rely on it now. Any time I go to my local post office to pick something up just seems to be wall to wall Amazon packages, you really can see how Jeff Bezos has so much money.

The amount of Amazon boxes I've ended up with, just from other people re-using them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

Gradius wrote: »
    The amount of Amazon boxes I've ended up with, just from other people re-using them!

They're handy for sending smallish parcels. I end up recycling the majority of them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Inviere wrote: »
    They're handy for sending smallish parcels. I end up recycling the majority of them though.

I get a lot of Amazon deliveries and the boxes are ridiculously oversized for most things. I've actually had to contact the bin company and ask them if its ok to leave loads of extra cardboard beside the usual recycling bin as its usually taller than the bin even when wrapped up!

Sorry environment, I am the problem :(
    cryingindian-simpsons-carousel.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, they released a new Pitrex sd image recently and did a decent amount of handholding for idiots like myself and now I have it working... at last.
    So far I've Asteroids, Tailgunner and a couple of others working great
    As a bonus the lastest version of Vectorblade is on there too, and working like a dream.
    More games will work as I find the right rom files to slot into the relevant folders, I hope to have Battlezone and Asteroids Deluxe, as well as Red Baron and others working in the coming week.
    As it stands, Asteroids looks amazing on the vector screen, better than the Arcade 1Up with it's sh1t LCD effort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, they released a new Pitrex sd image recently and did a decent amount of handholding for idiots like myself and now I have it working... at last.
    So far I've Asteroids, Tailgunner and a couple of others working great
    As a bonus the lastest version of Vectorblade is on there too, and working like a dream.
    More games will work as I find the right rom files to slot into the relevant folders, I hope to have Battlezone and Asteroids Deluxe, as well as Red Baron and others working in the coming week.
    As it stands, Asteroids looks amazing on the vector screen, better than the Arcade 1Up with it's sh1t LCD effort.

Wow, I need to Google that. Didn't think there were vector screens available.
    Loved Asteroids and Battlezone and I've just remembered Red Baron now :)

I was just thinking recently that Control reminded me of Battlezone.
    Super smooth sharp images with targets around the enemies.
    Plus you had to use different strategy for different kinds of enemies.
    It wasn't all mindless combat like RDR2 and GTA5.
    Or maybe I wasn't playing those games right :)
    Also, it's only recently I've really had a decent console and screen for this kinda stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I tried another bunch of roms and I'm getting an error on Battlezone... More experiments are needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

Yeah, doesn't take much to beat those. A Pi4 on a TV would do a better job. That said with vector games, why even bother unless you've a vector screen

Master of the Universe

YoshiSays wrote: »
    Wow, I need to Google that. Didn't think there were vector screens available.
    Loved Asteroids and Battlezone and I've just remembered Red Baron now :)

I was just thinking recently that Control reminded me of Battlezone.
    Super smooth sharp images with targets around the enemies.
    Plus you had to use different strategy for different kinds of enemies.
    It wasn't all mindless combat like RDR2 and GTA5.
    Or maybe I wasn't playing those games right :)
    Also, it's only recently I've really had a decent console and screen for this kinda stuff.

You haven't lived until you've played a Vectrex :D

Do be warned though, there's been a lot of recent interest in them and the price has gone up considerably unfortunately.

Couple that with the fact that it's a piece of tech from 1982 and it's a bit of a risk.

They are fabricating replacement PCBs for the Vectrex now.
    You can, with the right technical ability or a mate with the right technical ability, solder up a new set of boards and revive your Vectrex.
    With Scopetrex you can even build one from scratch, and use a commercial vector display to build a Veccy of your own.
    https://hackaday.com/2020/05/07/scopetrex-is-a-game-console-for-your-oscilloscope/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

We can rebuild them, we have the technology!

https://www.retrorgb.com/vitor-vilelas-race-drivin-sa-1-hack-released.html

Works on the original hardware too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

At least we got a new chapter and they're finally off that bloody boat :pac:
    This is the only thing I know about the series
    Saw this lately, might give ye a laugh

I'd a dream we'd a beers but the venue wasn't great idea
    1874b25e3448f33fe3e3e8944c4f28ac.jpg

Then it turned into this
    hqdefault.jpg

I know, I was only talking about this the other day, it has been over a year now since we've had a meet-up.
    Hopefully, we can plan something for July/August, depending on vaccination status!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I know, I was only talking about this the other day, it has been over a year now since we've had a meet-up.
    Hopefully, we can plan something for July/August, depending on vaccination status!

I'd lap the vaccine up out of bill gates arse crack and down it with a bag of his nano chips (not nando chips) if it gets us out of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd lap the vaccine up out of bill gates arse crack and down it with a bag of his nano chips (not nando chips) if it gets us out of this.

nwNN2Bf.jpg

Sparks was no help btw

I think Ciderman was Ripley

and I think I was the cat

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2F60%2Fae%2Fda%2F60aedad86d377bf714682f17d1daf4ce.gif&f=1&nofb=1

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.destructoid.com%2Ful%2Fuser%2F3%2F361162-476344-hookitintomyveinsgif-noscale.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

I'm getting vaccine shot no.2 on Friday.
    I'm hoping for superpowers...
    Probably only get protected from Covid...
    Not disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

Not disappointed!

Fair play! Looking bad for us mere mortals who have to wait though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Not disappointed!

I've heard it toggles your jump and run buttons.
    And inverts your X and Y axis.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

When they said everyone would be vaccinated by September it only sank in recently that I'm second last on the priority list. I was hoping to be able to go to gigs or restaurants after June!

It's going to be another bloody long year!

I've loads of gigs lined up. The Who gig has already been cancelled.

When this is all over I'm going to go to as many indie gigs as I can.

Master of the Universe

I had an insane amount of gigs and festivals booked in 2020. Three festivals over the summer!

One festival was cancelled and the other two were rescheduled to this summer. I'd imagine they're going to be cancelled too.

Have a rescheduled Rammstein gig up north too but I doubt that's going ahead.

Also have a Rush tribute act that must have been rescheduled six times since it was originally planned, just getting absurd at this rate really.

Last gig I was actually at was The Hu in The Academy just before all this kicked off. Seems like a lifetime ago now.

I go to a lot of shows as is but will be multiplying it by 100 after all this is over. Have to play catch up!

This goes out to a certain SteveX2
    G Darius HD is out on Switch, on the Japanese eshop at least, 4000yen or 30 euro.
    Or, if you can wait a little while, it's combined with DariusBurst Another Chronicle EX+ in the Darius Cozmic Revelation for 59.99 euro as a physical release from Strictlylimited.
    https://store.strictlylimitedgames.com/products/darius-cozmic-revelations-nsw-preorder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Had that rammstein gig booked myself

Have tickets for pertibator and author and punisher this November so fingers crossed for that.

Tickets for limp bizkit this August in Madrid, can't see myself there

Advertisement