Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

John Romero because you said bad things about Daikatana.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,215 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    John Romero because you said bad things about Daikatana.

Ohh damn he could HEAR that?!

Feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

MrVestek wrote: »
    Ohh damn he could HEAR that?!

Feck.

Romero hears all my man...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I've heard he's got a photographic memory too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I played through Daikatana last year (with the no allies mod) and I can confirm the first campaign is ****e but its quite enjoyable after that.

Started SiN the other week and I'm finding that a bit annoying. Should probably should have waited for the remaster.

• Advertisement

X1XjVnE.png

Got some preliminary work done on creating a PC based board for the Blast.

Gotta redo the Control Panel's wiring too. She'll be up and running to her full potential soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Started SiN the other week and I'm finding that a bit annoying. Should probably should have waited for the remaster.

SiN starts great and then falls apart really quickly. It starts great with that opening level and then gets progressively worse until every level turns into genric 90's FPS design that was totally dated by Half-Life.

The expansion pack is much better. Made by 2015 who went on to make Allied Assault and ultimately became Infinity Ward and created Call of Duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

X1XjVnE.png

Got some preliminary work done on creating a PC based board for the Blast.

Gotta redo the Control Panel's wiring too. She'll be up and running to her full potential soon.

Nice work, what graphics card can you use for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

eddhorse wrote: »
    Nice work, what graphics card can you use for that?

Looks like that motherboard can take a PCI-E card, although length of the card and the depth of any heat sink/fan unit will be a major consideration given the size of the motherboard and potentially the size of case housing.

On a marginally related note (since we're talking PC-based stuff); Steam have a new listing for an arcade emulator package from Capcom, set to drop at the end of May: Capcom Arcade Stadium. If you click on the bundle info it'll show a list of games available; looks like they can all be bought separately or as a bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

Lemming wrote: »
    Looks like that motherboard can take a PCI-E card, although length of the card and the depth of any heat sink/fan unit will be a major consideration given the size of the motherboard and potentially the size of case housing.

Looks like hardware that won't output much heat (going by the cpu cooler), so I wouldn't bother putting it inside a case that's inside a cab. I'd leave it mounted to a board, and place a case fan nearby to push some cool ait towards it. That way gpu size won't be restricted.

Whats the modern way to get a 15Khz output from a gpu these days? Back yonder I was using an old ati card and soft15khz under windows XP....i presume there are newer options that allow for more powerful cards to output 15khz?

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    Looks like hardware that won't output much heat (going by the cpu cooler), so I wouldn't bother putting it inside a case that's inside a cab. I'd leave it mounted to a board, and place a case fan nearby to push some cool ait towards it. That way gpu size won't be restricted.

Whats the modern way to get a 15Khz output from a gpu these days? Back yonder I was using an old ati card and soft15khz under windows XP....i presume there are newer options that allow for more powerful cards to output 15khz?

Process hasnt changed much.

I would just use the following prebuilt images :
    http://www.ukvac.com/forum/chunksin-images-download-links_topic367196.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I did it recently with a Radeon R9 380X, which has DVI-I for easy conversion to analog VGA.
    Then I used the calamity drivers with CRTEmudriver and GroovyMAME, along with Super Resolutions to get everything looking the way it should.

There was a little bit of confguration. The hardest part was the initial learning curve but once I knew what to do, it was easy when I had to invebitably redo the whole process again!

Tekken Tag finally turned up! I had a bit of anxiety about it though because when the box arrived it was badly beaten up... and WET!

Connected it to the Blast though and all appears to be ok, thankfully!

Happy days because this game has been a holy grail for me for... years!

Now I need to modify the board so that I can bypass the need for a kick harness! :-P

189828959_1470528896621786_94370036763868545_n.jpg

187722295_302275788292965_4876627179567297309_n.jpg

Looks great, why do you need to bypass the need for a kick harness?

Looks great, why do you need to bypass the need for a kick harness?

...because swapping out the kick harness if I want to go from this PCB to the PC will be a pain in the arse.

Besides finding the original Namco harness is proving very difficult and then I'd have to convert that to CSP1 for use in the Blast City.

Easier to just jumper from one harness to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/191589034520

Maybe get in touch with this seller? I bought one from him for a Soul Edge v2.

Although originally i soldered wires from the extra connector to Jamma button 4

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/191589034520

Maybe get in touch with this seller? I bought one from him for a Soul Edge v2.

Although originally i soldered wires from the extra connector to Jamma button 4

I had thought about it but I don't want to completely redo my button wiring if I want to swap between machines.

Thanks though!

Sad news for Berserk/Dark Souls fans.

Kentaro Miura has passed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sad news for Berserk/Dark Souls fans.

Kentaro Miura has passed away.

Ah jaysus no!!!!

Not only have we lost one of the greatest Manga artists of all time, Berserk will now never have an ending :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just seen it there when I woke up. Some sh1te

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just seen it there when I woke up. Some sh1te

The last thing I wrote about Berserk on boards, back in 2016.
    I just hope Kentaro Miura doesn't pop his clogs before it's finished!

Totally said in jest given the was only 49 at the time!

Well, at least they got off the boat.

I did hear somewhere that you could time delays in him publishing material with the release of idolmaster games, where you manage the career of cute anime pop starlets. Apparently he was seriously addicted to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Well, at least they got off the boat.

I did hear somewhere that you could time delays in him publishing material with the release of idolmaster games, where you manage the career of cute anime pop starlets. Apparently he was seriously addicted to them!

He had recently hinted at moving on to another project and given how the story has been going, it was assumed it would be coming to an end soon....

bugs wrote: »
    He had recently hinted at moving on to another project and given how the story has been going, it was assumed it would be coming to an end soon....

I heard him say it was 70% complete at one stage a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I heard him say it was 70% complete at one stage a few years ago.

That was 2009, iirc there have been 10 completed volumes released since then.

Was wondering if anybody could help me out here.

The J-Pac that I got doesn't seem to be getting picked up by the PC that's currently hooked up to the Blast City.

Anybody got any ideas? I've tried both versions of the iPac programming utility and neither of them are picking it up.

I currently have it hooked up via Mini USB.

Has anybody had this issue? I don't see anything in Device Manager either.

Was wondering if anybody could help me out here.

The J-Pac that I got doesn't seem to be getting picked up by the PC that's currently hooked up to the Blast City.

Anybody got any ideas? I've tried both versions of the iPac programming utility and neither of them are picking it up.

I currently have it hooked up via Mini USB.

Has anybody had this issue? I don't see anything in Device Manager either.

Only way to kill it is plugging in the Jamma corrector backwards.
    Any LEDs at all?
    Some good info here
    https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/pages/JPAC-Information.html

Only way to kill it is plugging in the Jamma corrector backwards.
    Any LEDs at all?
    Some good info here
    https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/pages/JPAC-Information.html

It's not dead, I have a small t-shaped piece of plastic in my jamma connector to make sure that I'm not plugging things in backwards.

It's not dead, I have a small t-shaped piece of plastic in my jamma connector to make sure that I'm not plugging things in backwards.

Great idea. Any LEDs at all?

• Advertisement

Great idea. Any LEDs at all?

Yeah, it self tests fine and I get sync ok lights for VGA etc... just when connected via USB the PC can't see anything and I can't really figure out why.

Advertisement