Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

MrVestek wrote: »
    Yeah, it self tests fine and I get sync ok lights for VGA etc... just when connected via USB the PC can't see anything and I can't really figure out why.

Is the pc recognising any other USB device? What OS are you running?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,215 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Inviere wrote: »
    Is the pc recognising any other USB device? What OS are you running?

Yeah it does, Windows 7.

MrVestek wrote: »
    Yeah it does, Windows 7.

Is it detected if connected over usb, and NOT connected to the jamma harness?

Also:
    Problem: In USB mode, the J-PAC was not detected properly once before and now I can't get it out of this state.

You will need to remove it from Windows and let it re-detect. Go into Control Panel, System, Device Manager, Hardware. Open up the USB controller by clicking on the plus sign next to it. Under this heading will be displayed all the USB devices. Right click on all devices one by one except the controller itself and Root Hubs and select "uninstall". Now unplug and re-plug the J-PAC. It should be re-detected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just started getting my more modern consoles hooked up in the games room. My Dual Shock 3 is pretty ****ed so went to buy a new one.

Am I so out of touch or are the prices for them just ridiculous?

€35-€40 from what I can see

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Maybe... Just maybe with these ancient secret strategies I can finally lay this game to rest

A misunderstood classic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A misunderstood classic

I wouldn't call it a classic, especially compared to the other games Konami put out at the time but it's still a worthwhile B-tier NES game. It was almost as ubiquitous as SMB on the NES.

I read recently that it annoyed everyone in Konami that they were pumping out high quality games yet Konami upper management wanted more TMNT as it sold insanely well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

554032.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That's a tad on the small side, isn't it? As the actress said to the bishop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A misunderstood classic

Yeah I've a lot of time for it myself but it's definitely a great example of reams of nostalgia clouding my judgement. :D

Was one of the first games my cousin got with his NES so we played the absolute hell out of it. All of my mates seemed to have it too.

I love how most of it doesn't fit in with TMNT at all. Like the monsters you fight look like they come from another game with mecha, gross mutants and a jason voorhees with a chainsaw.

Master of the Universe

I always remember thinking when I was younger how much of a cardinal sin they committed by putting four Turtles on the cover with red bandanas.

Didn't find out until years later that that's how they were in the very beginning in the original comic. I guess the cover artist for the box art was referencing the comics and that's how that came about! You'd think someone in the marketing department would have spotted it and done a bit of editing.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I always remember thinking when I was younger how much of a cardinal sin they committed by putting four Turtles on the cover with red bandanas.

Didn't find out until years later that that's how they were in the very beginning in the original comic. I guess the cover artist for the box art was referencing the comics and that's how that came about! You'd think someone in the marketing department would have spotted it and done a bit of editing.

I imagine the game was in production and the marketing material was finalised before the animated shows release so all they had to go on was the comic but which apparently is much darker.

Happens a lot with games. The Konami X-Men game was based on a cartoon that never aired so the costume designs seems bit off and Dazzler makes more sense.

o1s1n wrote: »

The NES cover art is just a comic cover repurposed

Issue 4 of the original series I'm pretty sure

250px-Mirage_vol_1_4-2.jpg

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I imagine the game was in production and the marketing material was finalised before the animated shows release so all they had to go on was the comic but which apparently is much darker.

Happens a lot with games. The Konami X-Men game was based on a cartoon that never aired so the costume designs seems bit off and Dazzler makes more sense.

There was actually a pilot made called Pryde of the X-Men which has the same costume designs, worth checking out

Wasn't Capcom's Alien Versus Predator meant to be a movie tie in too? Would have loved a cartoon of that with the same visual look!
    The NES cover art is just a comic cover repurposed

Issue 4 of the original series I'm pretty sure

250px-Mirage_vol_1_4-2.jpg

Ah, there we go!

The Aliens game too I think

I know the Kenner aliens toys are based on cartoon designs that never happened

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Capcom and know konami had a load of licensing deals.

Alien versus predator was commissioned to Capcom as the script was going into movie production. Film never materialised. But they did release a range of other stuff like toys as a part of an advertising campaign.

1174877908.jpg

81-ENj-Qvn-ACL-AC-SX425.jpg

And aliens by konami may have had more going on in the background that didn't materialise either. Check out the aliens artwork for the arcade cabinet and the toys

Aliens-konami-arcade-video-game-1-f91c5d5752019eafb6ab478b528c6eac.jpg

NECA-Aliens-Arcade-VGA-002.jpg

Capcom Cadillacs and dinosaurs was tied in with comics and a cartoon series and toys

IMAG0213.jpg

Cadillacs-dinosaurs-vehicle-1-2d9bdef65480a62734aaa07c49c5d10f.jpg

Good catch on the Konami X-Men too. Lots of seriously useful information :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Gradius wrote: »
    Capcom and know konami had a load of licensing deals.

Alien versus predator was commissioned to Capcom as the script was going into movie production. Film never materialised. But they did release a range of other stuff like toys as a part of an advertising campaign.

1174877908.jpg

81-ENj-Qvn-ACL-AC-SX425.jpg

And aliens by konami may have had more going on in the background that didn't materialise either. Check out the aliens artwork for the arcade cabinet and the toys

Aliens-konami-arcade-video-game-1-f91c5d5752019eafb6ab478b528c6eac.jpg

NECA-Aliens-Arcade-VGA-002.jpg

Capcom Cadillacs and dinosaurs was tied in with comics and a cartoon series and toys

IMAG0213.jpg

Cadillacs-dinosaurs-vehicle-1-2d9bdef65480a62734aaa07c49c5d10f.jpg

Good catch on the Konami X-Men too. Lots of seriously useful information :p

Pretty sure those AvP and Aliens figures are recent releases by NECA, who were founded in 1996 after both those games were released.

They've done a lot of NES/Arcade recolours for figures they have the licences for.

I'm a big wrong too. The Aliens cartoon was to be called Operation Aliens

The Aliens arcade game doesn't seem to be related to it

https://alienanthology.fandom.com/wiki/Operation:_Aliens

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Yeah those Capcom AVP toys are quite new, was really tempted to pick them up myself actually until I remembered I've far too much crap as is :D

Nice spot on the Aliens art, yeah I used to have all the Kenner toys tied in with that when I was a kid, was absolutely mental for anything Aliens. Although at the time I was confused as to what some of the alien designs were about as they were nothing to do with the film (Bull Alien etc?) A cartoon would have been amazing.

Used to absolutely love Cadillacs and Dinosaurs when it was on, always got up on a Saturday morning to watch it. In fact I thought it was a standalone, didn't play the arcade game till I discovered MAME around the very early 2000s!

Master of the Universe

I'm a big wrong too. The Aliens cartoon was to be called Operation Aliens

The Aliens arcade game doesn't seem to be related to it

https://alienanthology.fandom.com/wiki/Operation:_Aliens

First I've heard of this! there was a pilot - but it's been lost!! :eek:

Some surviving stills

OP-ALIENS.jpg

Such a shame nothing came of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Are any of the Aliens or AVP games on arcade or Nintendo consoles worth checking out? Never played them.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Are any of the Aliens or AVP games on arcade or Nintendo consoles worth checking out? Never played them.

Only the Capcom one. It's my favourite of their belt scrollers. Everything else other than the first two PC games are dirt, even the Jaguar one which is a product of its time.

Yeah the first 2 PC games are great. The second being brilliant imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

DaveyDave wrote: »

The Konami aliens arcade game might be my favourite arcade game. Lots of drawbacks and all that, but a great side scolling shoot em up like contra with a really good soundtrack.

Alien 3 by Sega is really good too with it's huge guns, wouldn't be the easiest to find that anymore.

And alien extermination is worth checking out if you can find it.

AvP is one of the best beat em ups made.

Gradius wrote: »
    The Konami aliens arcade game might be my favourite arcade game. Lots of drawbacks and all that, but a great side scolling shoot em up like contra with a really good soundtrack.

Alien 3 by Sega is really good too with it's huge guns, wouldn't be the easiest to find that anymore.

And alien extermination is worth checking out if you can find it.

AvP is one of the best beat em ups made.

I read AvP games. In terms of Aliens games, I agree with all of these.

Alien 3 on the Megadrive and SNES are very different games and worth playing, the SNES game is way better but the Megadrive one is fun if very repetitive later.

Heard good things about the C64 game as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

554104.jpg

Saw this on my local cex..... immediately looked suspect to me. I'm not an expert in labels but I did look twice at it when glancing at it

nsGCzGY.jpg

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Saw this on my local cex..... immediately looked suspect to me. I'm not an expert in labels but I did look twice at it when glancing at it

nsGCzGY.jpg

Well for one, none of the 'Cool World' letters should be touching the top edge of the label.

It does look like some of the top of the label was cut off in your photo? Seems to be a bit jagged along the top.

e6d3f8939553715fc901cfd5806f3ced960ec54b.jpg

Advertisement