Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

From the photo in the local cex, the code in the bottom left of the label should be 'SNSP-CD-ESP' and not 'SNSP-CD-EUR' right?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Good spot! Had a look through a rake of them on Ebay and they all have the Spanish ESP code rather than EU alright. Not a single one has EUR.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

o1s1n wrote: »
    Good spot! Had a look through a rake of them on Ebay and they all have the Spanish ESP code rather than EU alright. Not a single one has EUR.

Label appears to be zoomed slightly causing the image crop.

Easy to see when comparing the location of the SNES and Nintendo logos on both labels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »

I think it's a Spanish region exclusive?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Label appears to be zoomed slightly causing the image crop.

Easy to see when comparing the location of the SNES and Nintendo logos on both labels.

I'm rather amazed they took it in to sell to be honest. If they're invested enough to look games up on ebay to sell at mad prices, you think they'd open up more expensive carts to make sure there's no EEPROM tomfoolery going on in there too.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think it's a Spanish region exclusive?

Definitely looks to be that way alright. Wonder how that came about.

I've never actually played it, only watched some videos - looks absolutely mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

If you want a repro, eBay has a much cheaper one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    If you want a repro, eBay has a much cheaper one :)

Why the seller doesn't have repro in the title the mind boggles.
    Unless he did it intentionally so people wouldn't spot it and doesn't accept returns?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Doge wrote: »
    Why the seller doesn't have repro in the title the mind boggles.
    Unless he did it intentionally so people wouldn't spot it and doesn't accept returns?

Has it clearly stated in the item description though.
    Please note that this is a reproduction cartridge and not an original release.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I read AvP games. In terms of Aliens games, I agree with all of these.

Alien 3 on the Megadrive and SNES are very different games and worth playing, the SNES game is way better but the Megadrive one is fun if very repetitive later.

Heard good things about the C64 game as well.

There were two Aliens games for the C64; both superb in their own rights; the one most commonly found in these parts is the 'Electric Dreams' (UK) version which is played through the eyes of one of the team hold up in the colonist complex. It has atmosphere in buckets and is really, really tense. The second game was really difficult to find - which was the ActiVision (aka "US Import") version which was more your traditional game fare and followed the general flow of the film. I remember hunting for it for years as a kid and the elation I found upon finding a copy in Virgin Megastore on Aston Quay back in the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You've reminded me of the Gameboy alien 3 which is meant to be a great RPG. Must try it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Lemming wrote: »
    There were two Aliens games for the C64; both superb in their own rights; the one most commonly found in these parts is the 'Electric Dreams' (UK) version which is played through the eyes of one of the team hold up in the colonist complex. It has atmosphere in buckets and is really, really tense. The second game was really difficult to find - which was the ActiVision (aka "US Import") version which was more your traditional game fare and followed the general flow of the film. I remember hunting for it for years as a kid and the elation I found upon finding a copy in Virgin Megastore on Aston Quay back in the day.

Whats weird is that the US import one is tha version I remember playing (with that annoying landing bit)

Has it clearly stated in the item description though.

Yeah I knew that, i guess that would be enough to cover him.
    If it was me I would have put it in the title too to make it more clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I've often thought about heading down to CEX with a box or Sunset Riders and Wild guns repros and trying my luck haha like they clearly don't open up carts

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Whats weird is that the US import one is tha version I remember playing (with that annoying landing bit)

I recall being told about the dropship landing level by a friend years previously to locating the game myself; it became a near obsession trying to find that version of the game in every shop with C64 games I came across as a kid. For whatever reason, a lot of shops didn't seem to stock it often.

So Irish company MyVolts of Ripcord fame - the USB to DC Power Cable have launched a new Kickstarter called ReVolt which is a battery replacement kit for battery powered devices such as Gameboys etc...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48955335/revolt-usb-power-your-battery-devices

So basically it's a fake battery with a circuit board inside and a ribbon cable that comes out the battery door and has socket to attach an existing Ripcord cable of the required voltage.

I guess the drawback is that you're tethered to a power bank so there's a bit less freedom in holding it but you're not a slave to using batteries anymore.

I backed and reviewed the original MyVolts Ripcord which was amazing for audio applications and didn't introduce any extra noise.

There's a nice demo from Luke at MyVolts here:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Very smart, great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 15,184 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Interesting new device from Terraonion

https://shop.terraonion.com/en/home/23-super_hd_system_3_pro.html

Basically a souped up version of the already excellent SSD3.
    Plays CD-ROM2, Super CD-ROM2, Arcade CD-ROM2, HuCard and SuperGrafx Games!

• HD Video Out 480p and 720p

• AV Multiout with RGB output from digital and Stereo Audio

• Supergrafx Game support

• Loads Open Source FPGA Cores from MicroSD

• MicroUSB developer port

• MDFourier Balanced Audio

• Physical switch for In Game Trigger

HDMI out (while retaining analogue) and Supergrafx support for any PCE is the big improvement, but looks like there's software improvements under the hood, as well as other core implementations via the FPGA. Obviously needs to provide crossover interests for existing PCE owners with the likes of the Analogue Duo on the horizon, albeit still MIA.
    Expensive at essentially 250+ euro, plus the usual duty, and they've already indicated that's only for the initial batch. Further production runs will be more expensive to produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Anyone have any ideas what could be going wrong, have a pc engine tuned it in to the tv was working great switched it off came back and its no longer tuned and cannot for the life of me get it to display. Have one of the rgb attachments that slots in to the ext bus but getting no image from that either.

Bit odd that two different video outputs could die, which suggests a more overall issue.
    Haven't tinkered with the insides of a PC Engine in a long time, but before even getting to that, I'd be checking out the card contacts (console and game) and giving them a good alcohol scrub.
    PCEs are infamous for their grubby card connections, especially if the display shows some signs of life (i.e. not completely black). Inserting the card fully and then pulling the card slightly out can be the difference between appearing dead and working fine. That's what I'd probably look at first.
    Other than that, it could be anything unfortunately.....some models had fairly wonky power connections to the motherboard, and dry solder joints can lead to all sorts of issues. Any sort of mods done on the unit that could have come loose etc ?
    Best of luck

• Advertisement

No nothing done just a bog standard console, will open her up and reflow solder around the power socket and have a look see if any burst caps or anything ty.

One of the power connections has come away from the board, has a wire bridging to another point, also fuse inside seems to have blow

Burzum wrote: »
    One of the power connections has come away from the board, has a wire bridging to another point, also fuse inside seems to have blow

Aye....that could do it alright. At least there's something obvious to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Are there any decent non-ebay/amazon/cex/gamestop/playasia places to scope out PS3 era and earlier games? I'm getting 'page 4 on a Googe search' kind of frustrated here at getting the same sites churned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Facebook marketplace and adverse of say..i got a lot of like 60 PS3 and 360 games a while ago for 80 off euro

Facebook Marketplace is a good shout, never used it. Adverts continues to find new ways to surprise and disappoint - new one for me is people just not replying.

3DS games are all on clearance in any Walmarts that have them. End of an era.

Must pick up the last few games I need. Fantastic little machine in terms of library.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

3DS games are all on clearance in any Walmarts that have them. End of an era.

Must pick up the last few games I need. Fantastic little machine in terms of library.

My DS/3DS library is reaching Alexandria levels, just so many carts for those cracking machines, and so many I barely played.
    I must break out Rhythm Paradise/ Megamix for my DS and 3DS, brilliant stuff

Went to pick up a replacement copy of El Shaddai on the PS3 and its price-tag is really starting to reflect its constant appearance in all these "10 hidden gems" videos. Wonder if the imminent PC port is going to pop that bubble at all.

• Advertisement

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Went to pick up a replacement copy of El Shaddai on the PS3 and its price-tag is really starting to reflect its constant appearance in all these "10 hidden gems" videos. Wonder if the imminent PC port is going to pop that bubble at all.

It looks and sounds amazing but I'll never play it again as it's a real slog.

Advertisement