Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Have only ever played a couple hours of it and got some DMC vibes off it. More surprised at price it commands considering it is in no way rare. Majin and The Forsaken Kingdom is steadily getting up there too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Have only ever played a couple hours of it and got some DMC vibes off it. More surprised at price it commands considering it is in no way rare. Majin and The Forsaken Kingdom is steadily getting up there too.

It's definitely worth playing. Its just a one and done.

Combat seems good at the start until you realise what you see in the first 10 minutes is all it's got.

But worth sticking with just to see how mental it gets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I see the original halo has been updated in the master chief collection. It was originally based on the gearbox pc version which had tonnes of issues and made the game look very flat compared to the Xbox original. It looks like they have pretty much fixed all the visual issues now and it finally looks like the Xbox game.

Microsoft didn't have to do this but for such an important game it's great that it's finally been preserved in this way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Non A&R but I notice that they have finally enabled Crostini/Linux support on my Asus C302 Chromebook...
    It's pretty amazing, most thought it would never be supported on this device.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There were a few standout demos over the years that I played as much as the final game once it was released.

The Metal Gear Solid demo they gave away with the PS1 Official Magazine that had the whole opening section and the PC demo of Halo, The Silent Cartographer.

Before Halo was the franchise it is now, I remember years back a mate of mine getting a PC demo disc with videos, must have been 98 or 99. One of the videos was a very early concept of Halo, just showing a dude on the back of the Warthog driving around. Real futuristic stuff at the time.

When that demo came out with The Silent Cartographer level, landing on the beach from a ship and then actually driving around in the Warthog, it melted my brain. I played it over and over and over.

I lost interest in the Halo franchise very quickly after the first game, but that memory always sticks out in my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I know it was brought up a few times lately but just saw a friend of mine dropping £100 for Persona 1 on PSP and tried to buy FF6 GBA for £150

Like I wouldn't expect it for 40c and a packet of taytos but a bit steep, maybe just me

Waiting for R@re Rise the Robots for e100 next? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I know it was brought up a few times lately but just saw a friend of mine dropping £100 for Persona 1 on PSP and tried to buy FF6 GBA for £150

Like I wouldn't expect it for 40c and a packet of taytos but a bit steep, maybe just me

Waiting for R@re Rise the Robots for e100 next? :pac:
    Jesus, It’s always bizarre when something as common as a Final Fantasy can command that kind of price.

Master of the Universe

Ninja Five-o is the only GBA game I ever think as being worth anything, amazed that FF VI would go for that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

All that covid money.

Saw a Facebook discussion about Harry Potter and the philosopher's stone on PS2 and regional varients.

Thought lads were talking brown about a €2 game. Check EBay and it's selling for €50-€80

Seeing the current retro prices and what I've sold and passed for what would be super cheap now heres my reaction

wiseau_acting.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Just found out a bit of a legend from my Spectrum game playing hayday died recently. John Wilson.

If you liked Text Adventures in the late 80s you may have had a game by Zenobi Software. It was a one man publishing operation, John Wilson was the man. I had about 20 of the games he published (and some he'd written) for the Spectrum. He'd often send bits and bobs with orders and was always very friendly in correspondence.

He published for other systems as well and latterly converted his games to even more 8 and 16 bit systems, and gave them all away for free. I think there would still have been a market for his games but he just liked that people were still playing them.

RIP Rochdale Balrog.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,215 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Accidentally broke 3 of the buttons on the Blast City when trying to re-wire the control panel.

The Canadian company I ordered the wiring harnesses from had the ends crimped so damn tight!

I've ordered some replacements from France but man that was a giant pain in the ass!

Only out €13 for replacement genuine OSBF-30 switches in pink (to keep the original Sega colouring for player 2).

Uuuugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

MrVestek wrote: »
    Accidentally broke 3 of the buttons on the Blast City when trying to re-wire the control panel.

The Canadian company I ordered the wiring harnesses from had the ends crimped so damn tight!

I've ordered some replacements from France but man that was a giant pain in the ass!

Only out €13 for replacement genuine OSBF-30 switches in pink (to keep the original Sega colouring for player 2).

Uuuugh.

That's nasty.
    Where did you order the buttons from?

I see https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/ is now £8.50 tracked with Royal Mail to Ireland.

Master of the Universe

Uuuugh.

Some day you'll accidentally break the monitor and look back at these times and reminisce. :pac:

eddhorse wrote: »
    That's nasty.
    Where did you order the buttons from?

I see https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/ is now £8.50 tracked with Royal Mail to Ireland.
    Got them from Jammastar. Same place I got my reproduction two player panel and Sega branded ashtray from:
    http://jammastar.com/gb/sanwa-obsf-30/334-blue-snap-in-30-mm-button.html

Postage for the buttons from France was only €3. I probably won't be ordering from ArcadeWorldUK ever again with all the Brexit customs nonsense.

Shame really as they're a great company.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Some day you'll accidentally break the monitor and look back at these times and reminisce. :pac:

Yeah... here's hoping that NEVER happens! :-)

How did you break yours, if you don't mind me asking?

Master of the Universe

Yeah... here's hoping that NEVER happens! :-)

How did you break yours, if you don't mind me asking?

Quite literally, Pony III fell off a dolly and hit the ground :pac:

Nothing quite like the sound of almost 3000 euro hitting concrete.

Quite literally, Pony III fell off a dolly and hit the ground :pac:

Nothing quite like the sound of almost 3000 euro hitting concrete.

Oooooooooof! Not good.

Out with the old...

UeaaJj5.png

In with the new...

LldBGnK.png

.....and I've also just received a Sega branded ashtray where I can keep my various tokens and what few 100 yen coins that I have for my coin mech.

I had a generous lad from Australia send me over some 100 yen coins for my coin mech (which works perfectly to accept them... woop!) but I was wondering how easy it would be to get, say, €20 worth of Japanese 100 yen coins?

Anybody know if a local Bureau de Change would be able to order them in or anything?

Two reasons really... one I want to keep that Japanese arcade feel and two... I really don't want to start trying to mess with the mech to accept other coins / tokens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I'd suggest you get yourself a 'Magic Eraser' and lightly scrub the painted elements of the control panel - will remove light staining but its basically an abrasive so if you lean too hard it will remove lacquer/paint/surface you want to keep :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Out with the old...

.....and I've also just received a Sega branded ashtray where I can keep my various tokens and what few 100 yen coins that I have for my coin mech.

I had a generous lad from Australia send me over some 100 yen coins for my coin mech (which works perfectly to accept them... woop!) but I was wondering how easy it would be to get, say, €20 worth of Japanese 100 yen coins?

Anybody know if a local Bureau de Change would be able to order them in or anything?

Two reasons really... one I want to keep that Japanese arcade feel and two... I really don't want to start trying to mess with the mech to accept other coins / tokens.

I got lots of them from Arcade Otaku along with ashtrays.

Taito coins, Sega coins, 100 Yen

I have a friend who imports cars from Japan. I'll ask him can he get a roll and put them in the next batch coming over sure

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I have a friend who imports cars from Japan. I'll ask him can he get a roll and put them in the next batch coming over sure

One of these days we'll really have to get him to squeeze a few fancy rare cabs from Yahoo Japan auctions into that container!

Ohh that'd be great mate! Let me know when it's happening and how much I owe you. Cheers for that!
    KeRbDoG wrote: »
    I'd suggest you get yourself a 'Magic Eraser' and lightly scrub the painted elements of the control panel - will remove light staining but its basically an abrasive so if you lean too hard it will remove lacquer/paint/surface you want to keep :D

Thanks for the suggestion but I just haven't really given the control panel a proper scrub yet is all... not sure where those beer stains are coming from as I haven't really had a chance to break the machine in yet properly! :-P

One of these days we'll really have to get him to squeeze a few fancy rare cabs from Yahoo Japan auctions into that container!

I came dangerously close to buying a MK1 MR2 last week off him. Kinda regret not doing it now.

Game tengoku on sale on steam right now.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Game tengoku on sale on steam right now.

I've been trying to figure out what the going rate is for the PCB of that at the moment, having a bit of difficulty - if anyone sees a recent for sale amount give me a shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Grid based strategy Metal Slug Tactics announced at Summer Game Fest, didn't expect to see anything from that franchise!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

555820.jpg

Master of the Universe

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Grid based strategy Metal Slug Tactics announced at Summer Game Fest, didn't expect to see anything from that franchise!

Metal Slug does Advance Wars? Looks like it could actually be really cool if done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Inviere

Watching the Nintendo Direct there, reminded me of some Wii U games I have in storage. New super luigi u & maiden of the black water, both sealed....may as well move them on, but is ebay messy now for selling to the UK?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    Watching the Nintendo Direct there, reminded me of some Wii U games I have in storage. New super luigi u & maiden of the black water, both sealed....may as well move them on, but is ebay messy now for selling to the UK?

I've sent a couple of things to the UK recently and the process is pretty much the same for the seller from what I've seen.

Only difference is it takes a little bit longer in the post office as they've extra forms to fill out.

Advertisement