Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've sent a couple of things to the UK recently and the process is pretty much the same for the seller from what I've seen.

Only difference is it takes a little bit longer in the post office as they've extra forms to fill out.

Cool, cheers. Someone somewhere on here way saying about buyers possibly being hit for double tax or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,956 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    Cool, cheers. Someone somewhere on here way saying about buyers possibly being hit for double tax or something?

I think that's mainly if you're buying from a website?

So all British websites should be deducting British VAT at checkout for EU customers.

If they don't, you pay the British tax and are then hit with import taxes, you'd in effect be paying tax on the item twice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Grid based strategy Metal Slug Tactics announced at Summer Game Fest, didn't expect to see anything from that franchise!

Alas, the involvement of Saudi’s authoritarian Mohammad Bin Salman as a major, soon to be majority, SNK shareholder casts a very big shadow over any of the company’s future products.

Master of the Universe

Alas, the involvement of Saudi’s authoritarian Mohammad Bin Salman as a major, soon to be majority, SNK shareholder casts a very big shadow over any of the company’s future products.

Sure he's already in Metal Slug 2.

metalslugx_arab.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Just an FYI for anyone shopping with Cex online, if you're returning something it goes to their PO Box and they let it build up for a few days before delivering. I returned a Logitech G29 and it was sitting for a while so I messaged AnPost as I was worried about missing the return window.

For anyone who doesn't know they have a free return and sell to Cex label with AnPost to drop off at your local post office, it also looks like the pickup option is also free but I didn't try it as I wasn't home on the dates available (they've been doing this for years but the majority of parcels we got when I worked there were paid post!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Good god,
    Stun Runner on the Lynx is 30 years old!
    Go to 7:27...

Master of the Universe

Just watched the latest Nintendo Direct, saw what looked like a new Advance Wars game at the end. Almost cried with joy.

No. A remaster of the first two.

WHY U TROLL ME NINTENDO?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Just watched the latest Nintendo Direct, saw what looked like a new Advance Wars game at the end. Almost cried with joy.

No. A remaster of the first two.

WHY U TROLL ME NINTENDO?!
    Better than nothing at least, lad.

Master of the Universe

Better than nothing at least, lad.

Nah, if I want to play the first games I already have them. Been waiting absolutely years for a new one now.

Its akin to having new looking footage of Gordon Freeman and then going 'LOL ITS A REMAKE OF HL 1&2'.

Hopefully they're using it to gauge interest in the IP and we might get another one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nah, if I want to play the first games I already have them. Been waiting absolutely years for a new one now.

Its akin to having new looking footage of Gordon Freeman and then going 'LOL ITS A REMAKE OF HL 1&2'.

Hopefully they're using it to gauge interest in the IP and we might get another one.

They could release some new maps for this, as dlc, though it would still be the old gameplay

• Advertisement

Hopefully this. Nintendo aren't strangers to lazy ports & re-releases (SM64 on the Switch was farcical)...but they're also up there with the very best game developers in the world at the same time when they want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Master of the Universe

I think that's mainly if you're buying from a website?

So all British websites should be deducting British VAT at checkout for EU customers.

If they don't, you pay the British tax and are then hit with import taxes, you'd in effect be paying tax on the item twice.

Okay well a bit of an update on this. I've sold an item to a guy on ebay in the UK for 150 euro.

On his side, it's asking him to pay 180 euro.

The postage fee is 49 euro, on his side it's showing as 56.

I did a bit of a search and it looks like ebay are adding tax on at checkout now.

Really confused now as how would him paying tax on ebay be linked up to a package landing with him potentially paying tax in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Okay well a bit of an update on this. I've sold an item to a guy on ebay in the UK for 150 euro.

On his side, it's asking him to pay 180 euro.

The postage fee is 49 euro, on his side it's showing as 56.

I did a bit of a search and it looks like ebay are adding tax on at checkout now.

Really confused now as how would him paying tax on ebay be linked up to a package landing with him potentially paying tax in the UK?

Ebay have been adding UK vat to parcels for a while, the tax is paid so it shouldn't incur any further charges.

Iirc ebay packages are being routed differently to the UK as well, though I don't sell on ebay so I can't confirm that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yeah... Brexit is such a ****show.

Unless it's Amazon or something very low in price I'm kinda avoiding buying from there now as the customs crap is a nightmare.

Ideally everything being sold to us coming from there should be sold as VAT free as we're no longer in a common market and have no obligation to pay UK VAT rates.

Also... something that's been helping me to fly under the radar is sending special instructions to sellers over there to mark the package as a gift or give it a low valuation.

Master of the Universe

It's proving to be especially annoying for selling bits. The UK would always be the biggest market for Irish ebay sellers - now it seems folks aren't really bidding on anything from here now as it's just not worth it.

I've currently got a guy in the UK interested in buying a cool piece of film memorabilia from me that's worth about 800 quid. The VAT though is going to push it on to a grand.

What I've suggested is that we bypass ebay, he just send sends me the paypal payment directly (minus the ebay fee amount, so he saves 80 quid) and then hopefully it doesn't get nabbed by customs for additional tax.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Better off getting a ryanair flight and meeting you at dublin airport.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jesus that is so messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

It's so sad that it has happened. No one deserves the kind of crap he was put through.

• Advertisement

ZRoiMUS.png

Reproduction Sega Dreamcast case that I ordered from AliExpress finally showed this morning.

Just finished transferring the guts into the case. Really looks the part now I think!

Seemed easier than trying to retrobrite the existing case's yellowing nature with retrobrite. Not exactly cheap but the case's quality is fantastic.

The cases are here if anyone is interested:

Cases are here for anyone that's interested:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002484412497.html

Thinking about grabbing one for the Saturn next.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just got this email from an post

"VAT and customs charges already apply to AddressPal purchases from Great Britain and USA with a value greater than €22. From July 1st the VAT exemption of €22 will be removed. VAT and customs charges will now apply to all applicable items."

Just a FYI for anyone. An post are out to **** you

I send a lot of stuff with them and have my packaging down so much. I have sizes and weights just mm and grams less than the max. But that still doesn't stop them. I want to post a T-shirt to Galway. That's a large envelope <250g. It should cost €2.50. Bit an post don't allow you to buy that label on their website. The only option for that size is like €8. So you have to go to the post office and I've argued with so many people behind the counter in various ones that what they have is a large envelope and costs €2.50. 90% of the time though they put it through as larger and charge me €4-€6. Absolute total and utter bollox. Like I could have 40-50 parcels to send and that all adds up.

Rant over.

How I feel after writing all that

EfZ_0dSUYAAG2e9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

"VAT and customs charges already apply to AddressPal purchases from Great Britain and USA with a value greater than €22. From July 1st the VAT exemption of €22 will be removed. VAT and customs charges will now apply to all applicable items."

This isn't down to An Post, this is due to a change in EU law regarding the importation of goods that comes into effect tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I've argued with so many people behind the counter in various ones that what they have is a large envelope and costs €2.50. 90% of the time though they put it through as larger and charge me €4-€6.
    Can you not just buy stamps and post it yourself. A large envelope should fit in a postbox.

Also if you are sending lots of stuff it would be cheaper to buy up loads of N stamps when they go on offer, or just before a price hike comes. N stamps do not go out of date and are valued at the current price to buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Do they have the manpower for this? They're going to have thousands if not hundreds of thousands of AliExpress packages now liable for VAT. They're hardly going to apply 23% VAT and their admin fee on all of these? I don't imagine the sellers will charge VAT at the checkout, aside from Brexit I've never seen non-EU sites taking VAT at point of sale.

Or will it still be the case of luck of the draw? I've NEVER had any luck with something slipping through. If the EU wants to change the rules then the likes of AnPost will have to step up and charge everyone otherwise it's unfair.

Vat alone isn't terrible on €5 games from Japan but add the €3.50 admin fee won't help. At least Amazon process it themselves so there's no fee from AnPost but now everything cheap like cables/chargers, phone cases, misc crap from Amazon is now more expensive. Just bought a bunch of sleeved PSU extension cables to add some bling to the PC, cost about €40 but VAT would add on a tenner. Big difference there...

Master of the Universe

I send a lot of stuff with them and have my packaging down so much. I have sizes and weights just mm and grams less than the max. But that still doesn't stop them. I want to post a T-shirt to Galway. That's a large envelope <250g. It should cost €2.50. Bit an post don't allow you to buy that label on their website. The only option for that size is like €8. So you have to go to the post office and I've argued with so many people behind the counter in various ones that what they have is a large envelope and costs €2.50. 90% of the time though they put it through as larger and charge me €4-€6. Absolute total and utter bollox. Like I could have 40-50 parcels to send and that all adds up.

Rant over.

Whenever I go to the post office to mail an item off I have zero idea what the end cost will be.

I always check the website before hand and have an approx cost based on their sizes/weights, only to get there and them want to charge something wildly different. It makes putting postage costs on eBay very tricky.

I'd an item there not too long ago where I put 30 as the postage fee to the UK. Ended up actually costing close to 50. :eek:

I'm currently trying to figure out what the best way to mail a framed T-Shirt to the UK would be. 6kg in weight and the same size as a 50 inch TV. The Anpost website was saying something like 60-70 euro tracked, but I'm sure I'll get there and it'll be twice that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Whenever I go to the post office to mail an item off I have zero idea what the end cost will be.

I always check the website before hand and have an approx cost based on their sizes/weights, only to get there and them want to charge something wildly different. It makes putting postage costs on eBay very tricky.

I'd an item there not too long ago where I put 30 as the postage fee to the UK. Ended up actually costing close to 50. :eek:

I'm currently trying to figure out what the best way to mail a framed T-Shirt to the UK would be. 6kg in weight and the same size as a 50 inch TV. The Anpost website was saying something like 60-70 euro tracked, but I'm sure I'll get there and it'll be twice that.
    For the few times I send items by post, when I use the online calculator I get one cost and when I go into the post office itself its always cheaper - still no idea why.

If sending something large, always worth checking out other couriers with sites like parcel2go.com/ie/ - might end up being a pain in the hole though with them trying to pickup or you having to find one of their distant drop off locations.

Rant over.
    Ahh bollocks... and I have that Sega 001 loom coming from The UK at some point too.

He said he's going to use a courier though and mark it as low value so here's hoping!

Ugh.

I guess I should just refrain from purchasing stuff from The UK from now on.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Can you not just buy stamps and post it yourself. A large envelope should fit in a postbox.

Also if you are sending lots of stuff it would be cheaper to buy up loads of N stamps when they go on offer, or just before a price hike comes. N stamps do not go out of date and are valued at the current price to buy one.

I was already onto an post about it and it wouldn't really work for me. I sent a couple in post box before and they were returned to me saying they weren't large envelopes, even though they fit through the post box! I think it's because they don't contain just documents and that's the problem. Just got a load of X's on the parcels and no real explanation

If I could just book in what I wanted online there would be no problem, but ****ers just make things so awkward

Advertisement