Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Love getting a random Kim Justice video recommended to me.

This time it was the megadrive Jurassic Park game. What a stinker that was. I remember it looking pretty good at the time but being obnoxious to play. I was excited about playing as the raptor but even that couldn't hold my attention. Despite it being such a big Megadrive release I didn't end up playing a lot of it as one go of it confirmed it was a stinker. I really didn't like any of Blue Sky's games on the Megadrive, although I hear Shadowrun is great and the port of Starflight 2.

I really find these types of releases interesting, that are big hyped releases that do well commerically and financially but it retrospect and kind of a stinker. Kim does some great work covering them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah Jurassic Park on the Megadrive was the kind of game you got for Christmas and had to force yourself to like it.

I rented it once when I was a kid and even then could tell it was absolute garbage. Nice looking but that's about it.

Was quite fond of the Snes game back in the day. Mainly due to the novelty of the FPS sections. Haven't played that in aeons actually, tempted to go back and give it a go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The JP game I played the most was the Gameboy version which seemed to be the SNES version cut down with out the FPS segments. It wasn't bad from what I remember.

I have heard the Mega CD game is pretty great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Inviere

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Love getting a random Kim Justice video recommended to me.

This time it was the megadrive Jurassic Park game. What a stinker that was. I remember it looking pretty good at the time but being obnoxious to play. I was excited about playing as the raptor but even that couldn't hold my attention. Despite it being such a big Megadrive release I didn't end up playing a lot of it as one go of it confirmed it was a stinker. I really didn't like any of Blue Sky's games on the Megadrive, although I hear Shadowrun is great and the port of Starflight 2.

I really find these types of releases interesting, that are big hyped releases that do well commerically and financially but it retrospect and kind of a stinker. Kim does some great work covering them.

You should watch the recent Trespasser video she did, I'd never heard of the game & it has quite a history!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,215 ✭✭✭MrVestek

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah Jurassic Park on the Megadrive was the kind of game you got for Christmas and had to force yourself to like it.

I rented it once when I was a kid and even then could tell it was absolute garbage. Nice looking but that's about it.

Was quite fond of the Snes game back in the day. Mainly due to the novelty of the FPS sections. Haven't played that in aeons actually, tempted to go back and give it a go.

Best part of the game:

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    You should watch the recent Trespasser video she did, I'd never heard of the game & it has quite a history!

I got the recommendation from watching that video :)

I've seen Trespasser covered loads of times before, it's a very interesting game. She mentioned a Let's Play of the game by Research Indicates which I would highly recommend. It's entertaining and informative and shows the potential of what Let's Plays could be. It's on youtube.

Ok this is probably a stupid question but here goes...

I have a few M27C160 eeproms from a Mega Drive Cart experiment that I did last year. My first few burns of the chips were failures and I only have like... 4 in total with I think three of them being full of junk data at the moment.

In lieu of buying an expensive UV eraser or creating my own frankenbox with a bunch of UV LEDs, would something like this cheapass nail polish curer do the trick does anyone know?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002195841818.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.19ff4ab8YZirxF&aem_p4p_detail=202107010449103214898465613120040781112

Turns out M27C160 chips are handy as programmable bioses chips for Sega Naomis too so that'll be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I'd argue that the DS is the best console of all time. It's certainly far and away my favourite.

No other console has the sheer variety of excellent titles, most of which are exclusive to the platform. And there's so many games that range from great to greatest of all time contenders.

With EPROMs in theory, you could leave them outside in direct sunlight for many hours and do a blank check on them in a programmer to see if the suns UV rays do the job or not

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    With EPROMs in theory, you could leave them outside in direct sunlight for many hours and do a blank check on them in a programmer to see if the suns UV rays do the job or not

I've read that it can take weeks to fully blank them with sunlight alone though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just so you know, the original Raiden has been released on the Switch for about 8 euro, on the Japanese eShop.
    It plays as great as it ever did so, if you have a Switch, seek it out!
    My hope is this is the beginning of the rest of the classic Raiden titles to pop up on the console.
    If they decide to release them physically, I'll be on it like a car bonnet

• Advertisement

I really wish these arcade archive games would just come to PC. I'm really sick of paying for old games again every time the generation changes and I don't trust Sony and Nintendo to keep supporting these old games. It's put me off buying a lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I'm currently trying to figure out what the best way to mail a framed T-Shirt to the UK would be. 6kg in weight and the same size as a 50 inch TV. The Anpost website was saying something like 60-70 euro tracked, but I'm sure I'll get there and it'll be twice that.

just send him the t-shirt and deduct the cost of a frame that he can buy on his side?

I really wish these arcade archive games would just come to PC. I'm really sick of paying for old games again every time the generation changes and I don't trust Sony and Nintendo to keep supporting these old games. It's put me off buying a lot of them.

I wouldn't trust them to handle the emulation correctly, if the Playstation Classic & the Switch port of Mario 64 are anything to go by. MAME all the way for these ones.

Master of the Universe

Skerries wrote: »
    just send him the t-shirt and deduct the cost of a frame that he can buy on his side?

If it was a normal frame that would work alright, it's a bit more over the top though :D

Sending him this:

https://www.adverts.ie/memorabilia/screen-used-terminator-2-arnold-schwarzenegger-tshirt/24062047

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Bought a few old PC games in the GoG sale. I want to replay Syndicate Wars cos I never finished it first go round. The controls and camera are hard going in 2021 though.

Got Soldier of Fortune 2 it doesn't seem great have to lean round corners play cagey. Should have got SoF1.

Went to buy Fallout Tactics turns out I got 1, 2 and tactics 8 years ago for free still haven't gotten round to trying them. Why do I never find time for RPGs?

Had a quick go of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat and can tell I'm definitely going to like that. It's got good atmosphere.

Soldier of Fortune 2 is a stinker. It gets really bad in later levels and you'll be using the quick load/save keys more than the shoot button.

And SoF1 has aged poorly.

I've only played the first Stalker and it's one of my all time favourite games. Really must get around to CoP. Clear Sky was ruined with the stat based accuracy.

Got Soldier of Fortune 2 it doesn't seem great have to lean round corners play cagey. Should have got SoF1.

Now that you've legitimately paid for the game, have a snoop around for Soldier of Fortune Community Edition - it brings a few modern touches to the game:

• Widescreen (short screen) video mode support, including FOV fixes and menu modifications
    • Support for modern graphics cards
    • Extra menus to configure settings, create color names, vote, store server settings
    • Support for backup GameSpy master server, in case the official master server is down
    • New commands and cvars for improved scripting capabilities. Several example scripts are provided inside the pakfiles.
    • Force full-violence mode by default. No more annoying connection refused / violence settings are incompatible messages.
    • Enable console by default. Just press '~' or 'ESC' to enable the console.
    • Screenshots in PNG format instead of TGA.
    • Mumble positional audio. To configure Mumble for positional audio

Btw, absolutely loved the game back in the day, I do wonder what it's like today.

Master of the Universe

Ah no, I loved the Soldier of Fortune games when they came out. Might leave them committed to memory so!

Just ordered some UV strip lighting from AliExpress.

Gonna use it for blanking eeproms and also, potentially, as a homebrew retrobriting solution.

Got a bit caught out with those new import laws though... AliExpress and Wish and the likes now have to charge me Irish Tax when I order. That SUCKS.

Ohh.. I also ordered some white led strip lighting too that I'm going to put inside the Dreamcast.

The DreamPSU has two spare 5v rails and two 12v rails so I can easily just wire up some LED strips to those via some dupoint cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've never played any of the Stalker games, how playable are they? From what I remember they were a bit buggy but I could be mistaken. Came out around the time I built my first gaming PC And it sounds like something I'd be interested in, not sure what stopped me at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Ah no, I loved the Soldier of Fortune games when they came out. Might leave them committed to memory so!

Played this on gateway 2000 voodoo 3 computer with 64 meg ram back in the day. Will never forget the first 30 seconds of that game... Shotgun.... stairs... head.... exploding brains everywhere....

Played this on gateway 2000 voodoo 3 computer with 64 meg ram back in the day. Will never forget the first 30 seconds of that game... Shotgun.... stairs... head.... exploding brains everywhere....

I'm exactly the same. Still my predominant memory of the game. It felt....visceral, raw, and pumped full of attitude. I really must grab the Community Edition mod and play through it again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Soldier of fortune was an amazing game when it came out, shooting arms off that are holding guns was the best fun you could have at the time.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I've never played any of the Stalker games, how playable are they? From what I remember they were a bit buggy but I could be mistaken. Came out around the time I built my first gaming PC And it sounds like something I'd be interested in, not sure what stopped me at the time.

I've only played the first Stalker and finished it. I played some Clear Sky.

Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl was buggy but most of those bugs are fixed now. I'd recommend installing a graphical update mod on it as well as there's some really good ones.

It's one of the best games I've ever played. The atmosphere is incredible. It mixes immersive sim with excellent FPS gameplay and really effective horror elements. The story is great as well. It's probably got the best enemy AI of any FPS I've played. It's honestly that good a game and I'd highly recommend it. One caveat is that it starts off quite difficult. Enemies hit hard and the starting pistols and shotguns are not that effective. If you get through the opening sections and get a scoped rifle the enemy encounters become hugely satisfying.

I bounced off Clear Sky. It introduced this stupid mechanic where your accuracy is based on RNG so you could have an enemy lined up perfectly and still miss. I installed a mod to make accuracy work properly and it just broke the games difficulty. I'd like to play it more but it seems broken.

I've not played Call of Pripyat but heard it's a return to form and another incredible game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Tip for Stalker is to be very mindful of collecting the artifacts you come across as they add to your players stats in different areas, and you'll need these plus some proper armour to make it through the latter phases of the game which get punishingly hard, especially right near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Jesus that is so messed up.

I'm fairly surprised that Kiwi Farms hasn't been shut down. Normally, I associate the merciless organised ridicule of vulnerable personalities as a 4chan thing, where participants have almost complete anonymity and you don't really know who is who. Kiwi Farms seems to have dedicated accounts and a pretty unapologetic owner, from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Oh gawd, i dont like change.

Small pieces of text and vast amounts of space.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I hope they offer some decent themes/customisation for high res screens :0(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Yeah...this new Boards is bunk. Everytime I think I've discovered all the minor inconveniences, I find a new one. Just as I was typing this post, I realised you can't link to a post by right clicking the post number, because there is NO post number. Ech!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Unless I'm missing something, I miss the latest posts and my threads tabs on mobile. They're on the desktop version though? Jesus being down that long and making a balls of it only to have this as the end result, very poor.

What's the benefit here and what were the issues with the old site?

Advertisement