Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

After putting the GDEMU (clone) into my Dreamcast yesterday my controller doesn't work. VMU beeps as usual but doesn't stay on and the control is unresponsive. Arcade stick works fine in the same port though (didn't see the if the VMU stayed on)

This happened before but it resolved itself as I don't remember doing anything. The only thing I remember doing was cleaning the pins on the PSU when it would randomly restart at a different time.

Any ideas? I know the controller board can cause trouble, I've never unplugged something while powered on. I'll try a different control in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,215 ✭✭✭MrVestek

You might have loosened the ribbon cable coming from the motherboard to the controller port itself.

Take the ribbon cable out and then completely reseat it and see if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Definitely a few here might like this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was looking through my collection of PS2 games and I have found that, according to CEX at least, I have a bunch of games that are not high value.

Persona 3, a heap of budget shooters like Sol Divide and Homura, are all good money.

Now to decide if I shift them or keep them....

The old Cidermand would have sold them in a heartbeat, only to feel immediate guilt.

But few of these titles are real classics, and I have Persona 3 elsewhere...

Decisions, decisions...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,215 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I realise that this is probably a bit of an ask but... I recently purchased a PCMCIA Compact Flash adapter with accompanying 16Gb CF Card for my Amiga A600 but I've only just realised that I need a driver for it on a floppy to get it going.

Anybody else here on the forum have an A600 that they'd be willing to write said driver to a floppy for me? I'd be willing to cover the cost of the disk and postage etc.

Again, I know it's a stretch but it's really difficult to find anybody selling these separately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sell them now if you want to. None of them are rare but the state of retro game collecting at the moment is insane.

I'd recommend holding on to Persona 3 though if it's the FES edition. There's still no definitive edition of that game, FES and the PSP versions have extras not included in each version and it's also just that damn good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll shift them on.

Certainly I can make a dent in the price of an Xbox Series S with them all.

Most of them are shooters I now have elsewhere.

While those Psikyo shooters were nice to own on the PS2 I'm less attached to them now.

Actually, with five PS2 game trades I can make more than the price of the console

And some of them cost me a fiver a couple of years ago, being budget 505 Games releases.

I'm going to hang onto Persona though, for the time being

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Inviere

I always feel with the Series S, it seems a good deal until you realise it's got less than 512GB usable storage. Once you factor in the cost of an external SSD, you may as well consider the Series X then, as you're prob less than a hundred quid away....it's got 1TB of the super duper gen 4 SSD speed, far higher all round specs, a blu ray player, and a physical disc drive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah it makes no sense. It's like the 360 core where the price difference was the same price as the memory card you needed to save game data. Expect this time it's a much more capable machine you are getting on top of much better storage.

• Advertisement

If it was me and games were funding most of it I wouldn't mind throwing extra cash towards the X considering the extra performance. Haven't paid much attention but benchmarks I've seen make it sound poor compared to what the XSX/PS5 can do and it won't get better down the line. Just doesn't seem like much of an upgrade for €300.

The X can't be had in CEX for less than 625 or so.

And the games traded in are coming to €325, as a voucher for the store, which leaves me with €25 credit as a surplus.

Cash, it would have been €277, but there aren't any around, and if there were I would need another €233.

If CEX got one in it would more expensive again, with them retailing them for a scalp-tastic €625!#

I suppose, I could have gone for the cash, and found the readies for the Series X, but I have a decent external drive that will host older titles and the newer ones can just be swapped out of the SSD as is required.

Just have to get my backside over to one of CEX branches with a Series S and grab it.

Honestly just wait until availability is better. There's not yet on the systems to really justify the price and probably won't be for well over a year.

Then get a ps5 because a decent pc will run anything the series x can.

Ah, didn't realise CeX was involved.

PS5 + PC is definitely a good way to go with Microsoft focusing on games as a service. I only used my Xbox One S for Forza 6 and the occasional 360 game so I sold it. Game Pass on PC will keep me going with new Forza games or any Xbox exclusives. I only subscribe every other month and even then 3 months have been €1 with last month being the only time I paid full price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’m reasonably tempted by a Series X simply to have it by my TV. Working from home means my PC has become my work station, so not always keen to turn it back on for a few hours after work to boot up whatever I’m playing on Game pass. That said, happy with my PS5 so no pressing need for another expensive machine.

The Series S really does seem like too many compromises. I can only imagine the performance gap will increase as the generation goes on; the storage is a killer (especially for something which is effectively a Game Pass machine); and the lack of a disc drive renders my old 360 collection of Cave shooters and copy of Ninja Gaiden Black redundant. The only thing in the Series S’ favour is you can actually get one easily… but that suggests it’s been a little bit of a flop, given they can’t keep PS5s and Series Xs on shelves.

So the Voice of Axel from Streets of Rage is... Yuzo Koshiro:

Wouldn't be surprised if his sister voiced Blaze.

For anybody still grieving for Boards given the mess it has become, there's a new Irish based forum up & running with significant numbers of users here making accounts there - https://****/index.php

You can retain your Boards name, there's a dedicated thread for it where you verify your name if you want to keep it. And there's also a request for a small Gaming category in - https://****/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=249

Just said I'd mention it, it's a veritable Rolls Royce compared to Boards now, though is clearly still in its infancy. Maybe Boards can recover from this mess, but you must have all noticed the lack of posts here & everywhere else over the last month....the move to Vanilla has been an unmitigated disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Honestly a little surprised Boards has not been rolled back by now, the state of it goes far beyond teething issues. The organisation of the new site makes the place looks straight up abandoned. That's not to mention I'm still getting dozens of notifications for just the randomest ****, like users posting on forums I didn't even know existed never mind actually use and that's with every single possible notification turned off. Why, in the name of jesus, does this new Boards thing I want an update every time someone posts on the Fantasy Sport forum? Also, apparently, we have a Fantasy Sport forum.

It's beyond a mess, we've descended into proper Craggy Island levels of farce now at this stage. The logic in employing a Canadian company, with a huge time difference, who don't work weekends, who need changes to be submit/approved by Pull Requests (see time difference and weekends), who began a site migration with 20 years of content on a Thursday, and who are really starting to look inept at this stage....escapes me. It looks to have killed this and many other forums stone dead.

I find stuff like this will just dilute the community and unless it's something well established like Boards.ie then a forum can't really compete with the likes of reddit. And I kind of hate using reddit, it's upvoting method just ends up making conversation very one sided.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s clear the rollout of Vanilla has gone wrong in some big ways, especially desktop wise. I actually think the mobile site is actually now an improvement on what it was before though (albeit after hot fixes). Much easier formatting, embeds, drafts, working follow forum functionality (the last one a low bar, granted!) etc… Not perfect - and no :pac: - but definitely a decent upgrade.

Desktop is a nuisance still, but gotta say that gubu site definitely ain’t the solution at the moment. A half-arsed, quiet replacement forum with a tiny fraction of even post-migration boards traffic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Not sure if you've been back into your notification settings page recently but they added Category Notifications if you scroll down - for some reason I had richersounds ticked in there (maybe because I created a post in there a year ago) that was causing me to see notifications for them. Once I unticked it and saved I'm not getting them anymore so it seems to be working as intended now. Maybe have a look at your settings.

@johnny_ultimate - if gubu is half arsed then what is boards in it's current guise, 1/10th of an arse? 😂 Boards is a mess that will take months to fix (if indeed it can be). Hopefully it will still be worth visiting by then.

Am I missing something on mobile for new posts? This notification screen is crap and only shows 5 updates so I have to click on it, desktop still has the my threads tab.

Also the colour theming and spacing of threads makes it look bad for browsing, stickys aren't as obvious as before and the spacing of threads makes it look crap.

For mobile Im using the ‘following’ tab as my homepage. It’s set to ‘all’ by default:

You need to refollow any forums then you want, as the data didn’t migrate over. But then you just get a linear view of all the forums you want with the latest posts - which is how I’ve always used the site anyway rather than individual threads (your mileage may vary otherwise - I’m not sure if you can follow individual threads in the same way?). I just ignore the notifications.

Desktop is still barely useable, mind you, without a functioning ‘my forums’ feature - very unpleasant browsing experience. Mobile I’m finding much more akin to what I was used to, albeit with some changes (many welcome, some not so). Overall though there are LOTS of issues that really need to be sorted ASAP, even if I’m having no problem posting away as normal on mobile.

Can you really dilute a community forum that has head about 5 game related posts in it a week, compared to over a hundred usually?

Gubu is half arsed? Holy hell man, it's a Rolls Royce of a discussion forum site compared to this site now. And of course it's going to be quiet, you can still smell the paint on the walls there. The whole point of it is back to Boards-roots, a simple, no nonsense discussion forum. There are loads of Boards users signing up there now, so it only needs some time. Attitudes like that just come across as nothing but toffee-nosed tbh. We've devoted years to forums here....management has flushed it all down the toilet, and it doesn't seem like it's coming back. Gubu gives us a place to salvage the community we have here, just with a different address. With every iteration of Boards, since probably 2009-ish, it's gotten worse & harder to browse. They've gone the whole hog here this time though, and the panic in the air of the Feedback forum is palpable.

I’d never rule out that in the future gubu or somewhere else could be the new home for the ‘old’ boards… but right now there’s not even a games forum and a single film thread, the two topics I primarily use boards.ie for! Whereas the forums here are still ticking away here with the users I know and am familiar with. Right now gubu just seems like a bit of a ghost town with a small handful of familiar boards posters. I’d prefer to see the issues sorted here so something resembling normal service can resume with the existing communities.

Let there be no doubt: The migration here has been disastrous in many small and large ways. I think there are many issues that needed to have been sorted out two weeks ago. I still think the ‘new’ boards.ie is far more like the ‘old’ boards.ie than gubu :)

The whole approach was wrong, clearly nowhere near enough testing was put in, we've a lowest bidder operation handling the site now, a single developer on the payroll here, widespread criticism/hatred of the new look, much loved features removed, it's functionally broken, once bustling forums are now scraping a handful of posts together to tick along....the worst part of all that is it also applied over a month ago, just as much as it does today.

Of course, fixing the issues rather than migrating communities would be ideal, but there hasn't been a hint that that's going to happen on any reasonable timescale. Yes you can still technically use/browse/post here, but a wet behind the ears site like Gubu is handling those functions far better today, than Boards.ie is doing now (unfathomable to think really.) I've no dogs ion this race either way, but I do miss the A&R forum and what it was like before this mess began. Look at the forum though, there's near-zero levels of retro chat happening, the userbase is missing (where's o1s1n, brown finger, steve, jack burton, & the rest of them?), the only discussion is how badly we've hot the ground here...

Yes that can improve with time, and I hope it does, but if it's happening elsewhere before then, then that's where I'll be! There's no games forums there yet either, it's like Boards back in 1998/1999 in that way, but as least it functions and resembles y'know, a discussion board.

Well I could go to gubu, reddit or sites that functionally work better but it's the community here that has kept me coming back. I just hope they can improve the site before irreparable damage is done. I don't feel like going on reddit to tell people Legend of Dragoon, Ni No Kuni and Megadrive Aladdin sucks and getting myself negged and banned.

• Advertisement

That's the thing, if the community just changes address as a worst case, at least it can be saved. Gubu isn't Reddit, it's a forum like Boards used to be. Reddit is great for many things, discussion not always one of them.

Advertisement