Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Level Up Arcade bar in Limerick i would say.

I believe DaveyDave owns the place.

Best of luck getting back up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've still somehow not been to Token. Every time I organise a trip there some bullshit happens and it gets cancelled. Then I managed to convince everyone in work to take a work night out there and the pandemic happened. And now the team I work with has mostly been replaced and I've another group now to convince to go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I see Zool is getting a rerelease. And I'm wondering why. The Turrican release was great but I don't think anyone is really nostalgic for Zool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Zool stinks of soulless Amiga platformer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Yeah I am.

I dunno would I join another site though.

All my other community stuff seems to be on Discord now. Still have a good few FB groups but some are getting quiet after the move to there. I guess having ro do meets online it makes sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Soulless? That’s very unfair.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got a sudden urge for a Chupa Chup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Tbh I have the same thoughts for Turrican...I'll get my coat

I wish! Haha, I think the guy who owns it is dav09 or something on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,215 ✭✭✭MrVestek

So what you're saying is... we need an Irish Arcade & Retro Discord? :-P

• Advertisement

Great to see it open for business again! I kinda miss that place. Now that I'm fully vaxxed I'm not so wary about travelling around again. I mean... still cautious... but not so reluctant to leave the gaff these days.

Next time you're around let me know. If you're the same Dave that sold me the Blast City then I owe you a pint or two for looking after me so well! :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, I never understood the love that game got

I think we have two console snobs here that grew up with an NES and probotector while us 8bit peons had to make do with a c64 or speccy and our little shooter from a German with a banging mullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭dav09

There's much more than just me though to keep the place going as it's a big operation. Cheers for the best wishes though, after a very rocky road over the past year and a half with opening 11 weeks before COVID (and even then we weren't fully ready due to a few circumstances) I can finally say we're pretty much at where we want to be at, retro games, new games, rare games, some super rare Japanese games, new & classic pinballs along with everything else with food and drinks.

Ahh yeah there you are, I forgot your username, sorry about that!

Omg... that place looks like heaven! I'd be willing to even head down for a weekend just to check the place out. Are you folks back open again?

Cheers and no worries! Yes delighted to be back open, let me know if you're heading down some time I'm there most nights anyway

You know what? I've just booked a night in a hotel in Limerick for the first weekend in October.

I'm definitely coming down to check it out... and I'm bringing the bucket of Level Up tokens with me that I found in the arcade machine! :-D

Those cocktails look delicious.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Looks like that's what happened alright and what's clear is that some of those Talk To reps never deleted their PMs when closing their accounts (Eir for example) - I can see an old PM I sent (and deleted) years ago that has my name and address in it. PMs from those type of accounts should be properly deleted from the database by boards - although who knows if they even have that ability these days since Vanilla are the ones who control the data now.

Also, this new ability to add someone to a conversation is ridiculous. The more **** that surfaces the more I dislike this place these days. 😕

They never knew the 'joy' of having to press Up on the joystick to jump either. 😀

Brilliant stuff, great! Yeah good stuff, enjoy the accidental freebies! 😀 And they are super delicious, staff are great at coming up with them

We do and it has all songs unlocked for it which is class, along with lots of other jap stuff like Groove Coaster 4, Taiko No Tatsujin, Initial D, Super Table Flip, Elevator Action DP, Music Gun Gun 2 and lots more! 😊

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well now...

Console snobs is it?

I was a Speccy owner, followed by GB and MD, had a C64 for a while too.

I just never got into Turrican, to be honest.

And, I got a nice arcade stick for my Speccy/C64 and 2600, with two fire buttons, the second of which is actually the "up" command, as it is commonly used in games of the era.

Myself and a few friends are planning a trip down to Level Up from Dublin. Will likely be staying over in a hotel so should be a full night with lots of tokens and pints consumed. Looks like a nice selection of machines, can't wait to play them all.

I have to say fair play to Token. It was fairly quiet last night and that's a real key in having a good night in a place like that. Every second machine was off (although most are rows of 3 with the middle off, although someone could use the machine behind you if they wanted but it wasn't that busy). Every second pinball had an out of order sign but it got quiet so we were able to play beside each other. They were quick to tell anyone to keep their mask on when not at a table. Unfortunately not everyone was wiping machines down when they were done so I'd do it before and after. Lots of hand sanitizer everywhere etc but still went in with full precaution.

From what I gather the capacity was limited to the number of socially distanced seats in the main area only so the only people playing games were the people who had a table. They did let us stick around after our 2 hour table limit expired but it was quiet so no issue getting in anyone's way. Bit of a wait for pinball in the beginning as people were sharing machines due to every second being off but it was grand, after a while it was just ourselves.

First meal and pint in a year and I'm glad I was able to enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,824 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

22 new posts since I checked this thread in the morning - I thought someone had died! :eek:

A little piece of me did when I found out we had two Turrican haters.

Next they will be telling me Rendering Ranger is good!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,824 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I don't like Turrican at all either. If I want to play a shooter I'll stick to something from Japan!

Edit - just to note that I do find some of them mildly fun and enjoyable (specifically Mega Turrican), I just can't stand most Euro Shooters visually from a design perspective, they're dog ugly and unimaginative.

You've changed man, you've changed. Turrican 2 even had a horizontal shmup section in it, totally unexpected it was. How could that not bring a smile to your face you monster! 😂

And nope I don't want to go back and play them now, I like my memories just as they are thanks. :pac:

I wish they put the commodore 64 versions on the collection. The Amiga ones look nicer sure but I've always felt the c64 versions were much better. Or maybe it's because I grew up with a c64.

C64 was where I first played them too. Anyone remember playing Rick Dangerous 1 or 2 on the Amiga? Liked those games but man they were unforgiving.

@Retr0gamer - what's this collection you speak ok?

• Advertisement

There's turrican collection released recently on PS4.

Advertisement