Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Inviere

Absolutely, you can tell there's work gone into these. They work wonderfully with the games themselves. Initially I thought the score would juxtapose/conflict with the games themselves, but they really don't. As John says in the video, it's much more akin to what the cancelled Mega CD port would have been like, its a fantastic match.

Just while I have you there @Relikk good sir, do you know if there's any msu1 versions of the dkc trilogy?

Also, has anyone paired that recent super Mario world uncompressed audio with the recent wide-screen patch?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think it's just the sheer onslaught of enemies and lack of iframes from hits that mark a lot of western games and makes them standout. I find the better designed japanese games you can reach a level where you can play them without ever taking a hit. They're very fairly designed. Stuff like star wars just throws mountains of shite at you and no matter how well you play you are going to take hits but that's offset by them throwing health and lives at you quite frequently.

Super star wars games kind of work in the same way the turrican games work. I do think factor 5 got an awful lot better at game design later on with mega turrican and super turrican 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Relikk

Yeah, the DKC trilogy is done. There's a ridiculous amount of audio to choose from for those. I didn't personally contribute any to them though, so I can't vouch for the balancing or looping quality.

I made a thread for the uncompressed Super Mario World tracks when they first started working on them, but they haven't added anything in months. Here's what's done...

Thanks very much @Relikk that's a good start because there's SO much choice sometimes with msu1 that it can get confusing! Thanks again man

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

@Relikk I don't want to belittle the great work you have done but honestly I don't see the sense in prioritising the projects you have worked on as I would see them as minor niche projects compared to the MSU1 music hack that is of most cultural significance.

Could you please prioritise a MSU1 music hack of BioMetal so that the world can experience that 2Unlimited soundtrack without any compression.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You are a broken broken thing, Retr0gamer... so very broken

@Relikk thanks again for the pointers, I've got the three versions of the DKC games with MSU1 tracks that I like best, all set up and working away beautifully. I also managed to set up Super Mario World with the widescreen patch AND the Restored MSU1 tracks......it's surreal, feels like playing a Snes 2 or maybe what a Snes CD could have done. Thanks a mill!

EDIT - It was a post by a user called Colines (21st June 2021) here - https://www.zeldix.net/t1437p75-super-mario-world-msu that explains how to patch for widescreen AND msu1 for SMW if anyone wants to check it out

Loving Yakuza: Like a Dragon but actually looking forward to beating it so I can go back to some retro games before I make a really push to finally start and finish Tactics Ogre. Have been focusing mostly on NES and PS1 games so think I'll give the Megadrive, Master System and Saturn a run out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’m also enjoying Like a Dragon, but there’s something about Yakuza games that really makes you feel those extended running times. I’m on chapter five out of 15 I believe, after ten hours or so, but feel like I’ve been playing for 20 hours. The often excruciatingly long cutscenes don’t help.

I like the games a lot, and am particularly glad this game has much more ‘new’ stuff than the last few I’ve played (only so many times you can explore the same Kamurocho streets). But by god they feel like every hour of their 40-60 hour playtimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭megaten

Need to finish my play through of Kiwami 2 so I can skip to Yakuza 7.

Yeah I was the same as well but it does open up later on. I actually find way more enjoyment just arsing about doing the sidequests and minigames. The management minigame in particular was a highlight. The main story has really over long cutscenes and is the same quality as a typical Japanese weekly drama, in other words it's kind of shite but charmingly so but it really does go on for a bit. The side quests are just so much fun though and full of laugh out loud moments. I'd love a bit more brevity in the main story and maybe bring in a bit more of the absurd humour.

I have to say, moving to the Dragon Quest style combat is a revelation. Sega don't make many RPGs but the ones they do are more often than not exceptional. The combat is excellent and changing to new jobs just to see how crazy they get is great fun. It has a lot of fun with the turn based Dragon Quest formula. Stat boosts and status effects become important and stuff like metal slimes being replaced by vagabonds

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep the submissions are usually a delight (as per the course with the series) and I still have a deep affection for games that go so manically deep on the mini game front. Not deep enough in yet to see the depths of the combat system but it’s enjoyable so far (often maybe one or two too many street encounters when running from place to place, though).

There’s still a lot of flab though, and yeah the core plot is the main culprit there. I wish the series would learn something from the visual and story minimalism you see in the best Kitano yakuza films, for example, especially since they’re clearly an influence (hell, they got the man himself on board for one of the games).

Hoping Ichiban has a good run of games as well, he is such a compelling protagonist as well. Just the right amount of dumb and good natured heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I finished Yakuza 4 the other day and it might the dumbest game I have ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

• Registered Users Posts: 9,215 ✭✭✭MrVestek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Anyone else play the new release of Quake? Maybe we could go back to this forum's roots and get a game going.

Planning on getting it on Pay Day on Friday so yeah... I'd be up for a few matches if anyone else is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,824 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Count me in too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

It's on game pass and it has cross play if anyone has a sub on Xbox or PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Free on PC too if you happen to already own the old version.

What about you, @Retr0gamer?

I'm on steam but I'm very busy at the moment with the drama group I'm part of but if I'm free some night I can hope on and show you how to rocket jump like a champ.

Even more reason that we need a Discord server. :-P

I don't have the original so I'll have to wait until PayDay (Friday) until I can pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Just jailbroke my PSP for the fun of it (never done it before). Don't even know what to put on it that's worthwhile because I have better methods to play these games. I think I done it for the "because I could" novelty (and to pass the time).

Are there any notable PSP games worth getting, that isn't a port or a spinoff of a PS2/PS3 title?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,824 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Gunhound EX and the version of GTA Chinatown Wars would be worth installing.

**** loads, the PSP is full of amazing games.

Tactics Ogre

Loco Roco

Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3

Brandish

Megaman Powered Up

Castlevania Chronicles

3rd Birthday

ZHP

Metal Gear Acid 1 and 2

Knights in the Nightmare

Yggdra Union

Kenka Bancho