Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Nothing really. Customs are severely backlogged atm due to a larger than normal influx of non EU packages. Christmas is going to be a flustercluck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Amazon have already given me a refund and the vendor won't send a replacement.

I'm just replace it locally instead.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You know....

It might be!

Actually, I realise that, despite getting a refund and since buying the thing locally, if they get their finger out and finally deliver it I am going to be hit with their own handling charge and the duty on it, so it'll cost me another €15!

Ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

There's a thread for MyProtein and people were saying a lot of food stuff over 2kg is getting sent back to the UK unknowingly and stuff that is getting through is taking 3-4 weeks.

I ordered a Blu-ray off an Amazon seller that took 3 weeks to arrive. They refunded me when I asked if they knew how long packages usually take and it arrived a day or two later so it seems customs and post is a nightmare at the moment.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I tend to only go for things that are at least dispatched by Amazon themselves, and have no issues with delivery then. If it's handled by Amazon like that, they will generally have 'import charges' handled, so no subsequent handling charges or additional duty to worry about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lads, if anyone was looking for the ultimate in videogame credibility then a reboot of Gamesmaster is looking for contestants right now. Show how good you really are at SF2 with a golden joystick.

Lets see how good you are at SF2 Inviere. I mean anyone can perform in a house just outside Swords but lets see how good you are on the real main stage! I bet you'll be found out!

I ended up to logging into my ROS account and querying the package, and he confirmed that it had been released and was on the way.

Not sure if this ends up with a customs handling charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Inviere

That was SFIV, you haven't even seen me at SFII.....i could take on the games animal himself and have him calling it a conspiracy moments later....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,821 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Well them's fighting words if ever I heard them...

• Advertisement

Lads, I've never seen Akira. Is it any good? Debating whether or not to see it in The Lighthouse this week as I'm on annual leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I love it myself. Even if you come out not liking the story it's worth watching for the animation which was on an extremely high budget for the time.

If you don't want to watch it in the cinema, which is very much worth it, it is currently streaming on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,215 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Couldn't think of anywhere appropriate to put this... so I'm putting it here. Was up early on Saturday and did something on a whim. Here's Tattoo number 3!

This was about an hour after getting done so excuse the excess plasma etc. What do you folks think?

Cool! Good spot for it. I was going to get this on my calf a few years ago. I was running a lot at the time and used to always wear shorts as I was always cycling everywhere so would be seen a lot. Also had plans for a back piece with Pyramid Head, Lugia and Spyro among others but ended up not getting anymore tattoos. The missus is probably happy about that!

Post edited by DaveyDave on

Master of the Universe

Did you go and see it in the end? It's my favourite movie... so much so that I dragged 12 people to see it on Saturday, including my parents!

My original intention was to try to see if I could pack out the whole cinema...given the amount of seats that had to remain empty with covid, I was thinking it might be possible hah.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's the perfect film for the cinema. The amount of detail packed into each scene is insane and is still way above any other animated before or since.

I remember even going from the VHS to DVD version was an eye opener that you could see so much more. I'm sure a cinema or 4k version must be insane.

Master of the Universe

It was absolutely incredible to be honest, I've spent years taking screenshots from the DVD release to use as cel backgrounds and this is on a whole other level.

Great example to show the level of the level of detail in a cel I was scanning over the weekend - see the dude on the right in the red tracksuit reaching to someone's bag? He's actually trying to steal something out of the bag. There's zero reason for that level of detail to be there, it's just a shot of a crowd as they're all about to be crushed, yet Otomo, the mad bastard, even wanted little personal things happening within it. Film is littered with things like that.

Master of the Universe

Fair play by the way! that's certainly a commitment to your love of Sonic!

Where'd you get it done?

I saw in the documentary that the animation company almost went bust because Akira cost so much and Little Nemo was a disaster for them. They were kind of rescued by Disney when they hired them to make DuckTales. People thought Disney were crazy hiring them for DuckTales as they cost so much but the gamble paid off. I'm currently watching DuckTales and it really holds up and looks incredible. Not Akira incredible but you can't really do Akira level on a 65 episode run!

Pierce of Ink in Dun Laoghaire. I've been planning to get it for a while... was awake early on Saturday and just rang them up to see if they had space for a walk-in.

I'll get Tails in the same place on the opposite arm at some point. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Everyone should have went to see Akira in the cinema. It's an absolute masterpiece.

Never seen it in the cinema and I really want to. Even just to see the opening scene on the big screen would be amazing

It's up on Netflix there, just watched the opening half hour last night, still looks great but not in the cinema great

What are tattoos costing these days?

I'm hoping to get another on my lower arm but it's 20 years since I got the last one.

Master of the Universe

Definitely get a tails to go on the other arm, that'd be excellent! Few chaos Emeralds in there too and before you know it, you'll look like Greenhill Zone. :D

If you want a really good tattoo artist, check out Sean in Reinkarnated on Parliament street.

Really lovely guy with oodles of years worth of experience and has incredible drawing abilities. Loads of his work on his instagram page.

https://www.instagram.com/electrichermetic/?hl=en

€100-120 an hour I believe. Good places in Dublin are booked several months in advance but don't let that put you off a good artist.

Just a heads up, I saw someone recommend Ink Factory on Reddit the other day. A lot of their artists jumped ship after the 'Tattoo MeToo' issue last year so it's worth noting it's the artists you're looking for, not necessarily the studio. In saying that of course you'll want a good studio that look after their staff but I frequently see people saying they got something done in XYZ years ago and it could be completely different artists and management now.

This one cost €220 and was just under two hours. I saved him a bit of time (was running late) by pre-shaving the area myself.

I actually had chanced my arm by calling up the place that day and they were free for most of the morning so don't be afraid to just call up places to see if they have any walk in slots available.

I can't recommend Pierce of Ink enough though... really friendly people and a good laugh. Run by a few Polish folk I think.

We all had a good laugh when I heard the person at reception saying Kurwa Kurwa Kurwa and it reminded me of that TikTok trend with all the Polish people going KURWA KURWA KURWA.

There's also a few big Windows that look straight over George's Street so if, like me, your anxiety can go through the roof when you're getting tattood it's a good place to people watch to distract yourself.

Just remembered I've an analogue pocket on the way which should be next month if there's no delays.

Then I remembered Brexit and how I'm going to get absolutely bukkaked with custom charges 🤦‍♂️

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Was looking up Ultraman the other day and stumbled across this mad looking PS4 game where you play a civilian in a city in the midst of various Godzilla, Gamera, Evangelion, Ultraman and Patlabor attacks. Apparently a 'spiritual successor' to the Disaster Report games. Couldn't resist ordering a copy, even with the language barrier. Looking forward to it arriving as it really looks quite the random spectacle (whether it's any good or not is an entirely separate question).

It looks pretty great. I posted about it months ago and was hoping it was mad enough to get a western release but have forgotten about it since. Let us know if it's any good.

• Advertisement

Someone posted about the Star Trek Elite Force games a few weeks back.

Seems both are now available on GoG.

Advertisement