Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,820 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Have you looked at the Magical Game Factory main page lately? It's absolute conspiracy theory madness from Fonzie, I'm amazed vaccines and the Illuminati weren't mentioned there somewhere too.

https://www.magicalgamefactory.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

They way I keep some small peace of mind with the older/retro stuff is to break it into sections that are powered via decent smart plugs and smart extension leads(don't go for the ultra cheap stuff on Amazon). So my AV stuff would be powered by say section 1, consoles section 2, computers section 3 etc. I can control or cut the power to each section with my phone or normally just a button to power up and down on my Stream Deck. And then if I'm using nothing at all I can power the whole lot down with 1 button so nothing is getting power except the small amount running the smart plugs and smart extension leads. And a bonus is I can see exactly how much power I'm using either live or weekly/monthly.

M2 in the baby seat, baby in the boot.

Master of the Universe

That's a really fantastic idea. I've only really used smart plugs for convenience rather than as a safety feature - think I'll give that a go now in the new place. At least put all my consoles and old tech on one power strip together and power it off with a smart plug when not in use so there's no standby power draw.

I use mostly the Kasa brand smart plugs and extensions leads(and a Kasa pan/tilt camera here and there). It's a sub brand of TP-Link and has worked very well for me the last couple of years. They are very reasonable priced for what you get.

I do not recommend the TP-Link Tapo plugs or cameras. Someone on Amazon put it pretty spot on with their review "Basically Tapo is like your Tesco value and Kasa is your Tesco Finest".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

TPLink Kasa smart plugs are the business. I've got a few older ones that you shouldn't put too much amps through, but have recently got a few that will support 13amps so going to put one between my arcade cabinet's step-down and the wall socket.

Amazon have a good deal on the Kasa smart power strip at the moment(£20). I have a few of them and they are decent. I just wish the USB ports that are on them were also smart and not just standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

I use those RF controlled plugs as there's about a foot of space between the desk and the wall and it means having to crawl in to reach the mains sockets otherwise.

Does anyone know if the fire fighters managed to identify the source of the fire?

Would be great to know and learn from it to potentially prevent it from happening to anyone else.

I didn't know him but my heart breaks for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Inviere

@Doge I wondered that myself, in the 2nd video he does seem to know where the fire started. It may be nothing at all to do with retro gear or tools though, and if that's the case, he may not mention further details. It did remind me just how devastating and dangerous fires are, and the importance of safe/certified wiring, overload protection etc can't be overstated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

Yeah that's true too, he has the right to privacy at a time as stressful as this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Cotton 100% and Panorama Cotton getting limited runs from Strictly Limited on Switch and PS4, the original SNES and MD versions are also getting repro carts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Speaking of smart plugs, does anyone have any recommendations for home plugs to wire up my PC in my bedroom to the router downstairs? WiFi has been patchy recently which is a pain, so I think it's time to finally connect up. There are lots of TP-Link options but not sure which to go for.

I don't need anything particularly 'smart' or anything that offers super high speeds - just something to give my PC a more reliable connection than a wireless dongle. The main power socket is a bit away from my PC but I've plenty of room to tuck away a long ethernet cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I have two TP Link Av600 sets, one single port and one dual port with plug passthrough. Both seem to max out at 80MB so maybe look at a gigabit one if you want higher speeds (not sure if Irish wiring is a limit here?) Can't fault them, used in two houses without issue. My CCTV is plugged into one so reliability is key.

I use the TP-Link TL-WPA8630P KIT to send Internet and local network from my office(internet source and plex server source) down to the living room. Works very well never have any issues. It's a couple of years old now, so they probably have a better version out.

I also send from the living room to my garage using an extra powerline adapter from the living room(works better than sending separate signal from the office). My main network storage devices live in the garage, so it's very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Need another two TPS myself. Have to get a pair of WIFI ones. One for my office and one for my garage.

Must head to adverts and see what's about for haggling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Word of warning - powerline adapters working well very much depends on how your house is wired, circuit they are plugged into and any other electrical devices which might cause 'noise'.

I've used them in the past in a rental place to get between floors as I couldn't poke holes in floors but eventually threw a network cable out a window and down the wall into another window :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm definitely going to rejig the gamesroom to use smart sockets, it would make a lot more sense than the bananas amount of power strips the room has at present.

Might try and plan the systems a little better too, either by manufacturer or console gen.

Master of the Universe

Here we go again! Forth time I've moved with these heavy buggers. :eek:

Christ the search on this forum is useless. I'm being charged VAT on a warranty replacement toothbrush from the UK. I know shipping is included in non-EU charges but warranty replacements are exempt from charges as there's no value on them, do ye reckon I'm being charged on the shipping? I messaged DPD twice and got no response and they only hold for 5 days. Not sure if there's a value on the invoice or not.

It's a small amount but I'm trying to not pay out of principal because 90% of the cost is their handling fee...

Off topic I know but just wondering if any of you are more knowledgeable on the matter.

• Advertisement

I'll have a read. You'd think that would have showed up for me :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Thanks for the home plug tips! Got a gigabit set which were on clearance in Currys this morning. It's all set up without any hassle and I've got flying speeds now on my PC!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I'm gutted I didn't wait, gonna see if I cancel the other order, doubt I can have it changed, Cotton 100% is the one I love.

I think Panorama Cotton is rare from what I remember but nostalgia is more important to me here

Original Mega Drive copies of Panorama Cotton often sell above €500. Most of the Cotton games go for silly money for original copies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hope this is your forever home. Hoping to move into mine next year. But I'll need furniture before cabs!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I got some emails from Play Asia, and they have those in stock, it's only a limited physical release in the west. They have the Saturn remakes there, in one volume, as well as the Cotton Reboot! and Cotton Rock and Roll (Cotton 100%) as separate releases.

While Cotton Panorama is on the eshop, the physical release is probably going to be next year, apparently.

Of course, I have no idea how bad the customs might be on these items.

I got a cable from Aliexpress, costing 9 euro, and got another 8.50 in charges.

I got an AES 161in1 cart from the same place, cost 100 euro, no charges at all.

I have no idea what is going on, at all!

Post edited by CiDeRmAn on

Master of the Universe

You do indeed! Used to have it switch on with the two arcade machines, going to stick it up on adverts I think - it's one of those items you really need a games room for.

Master of the Universe

It is indeed! We're moving out of D1 over to Stoneybatter to become hipsters.

Ive a feeling it's the one place in Dublin my CRT fetish will be appreciated - not that I have many left!! :eek:

Furniture before cabs is probably best, do get your sofa order in early, the wait time on them is insane. My current one will be 6 months wait in total. (So I'll have cabs in about three months before somewhere to sit!)

• Advertisement

Congratulations, Stoneybatter is lovely!

Mrs Ciderman is from up the road, Blackhorse Ave, it's lovely around there.

Advertisement