Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,817 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

He really should part out a few of the big titles like that boxed MUSHA and sell the rest as individual console bundles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Interesting post on Reddit. For me it has to be Wiz N Liz on the Megadrive. I never see it mentioned, never see it on YouTube etc. Don't even remember if it's a good game or not but specifically remember it as one of the games I played as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Lady Sia would be one for me. It's a decent action-platformer on the GBA from around launch-window with a unique aesthetic, especially for the GBA. I've seen it on a total of one 'GBA Hidden Gems' list in all of my years following GBA stuff and have heard exactly no one ever talk about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Academy on the Spectrum, a sequel to Tau Ceti.

Put a bit of time into that one, very impressive at the time.

A user definable GUI, and nice visuals, I didn't know anyone else that played it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Forbidden Planet and Dark Star by Design Design, also on the ZX Spectrum, pretty fast 3D shooting action, also they've a great bit of humour in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,817 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Alisia Dragoon was always my one until a few years ago when everyone seemed to be playing it all of a sudden!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

PS1 Kensei Sacred fist on the PS1

I mostly remember it because I rented it for a weekend and it was utter shite

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

First Cotton 100%, then Monster Rancher and now this? Very happy, looking forward to the new characters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Anyone selling stuff to the UK these days thru EBay ? How is the customs duty handled , eBay is light on information…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

eBay don't manage it at all. It's the same as buying in from the UK here, based on declared value and customs discretion once it arrives for inspection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I've had issues as a buyer from the UK with eBay in that they charge VAT, and instruct the seller on how to mark packages as VAT paid, but they don't and I get charged VAT again by customs via An Post.

This leads me to have to upload proof of VAT paid to eBay who then refund me a load of bitty amounts. But it's easier than trying to get it back from Revenue directly.

So, I'd imagine they charge VAT and you need to be mindful of what you put on your package as a seller too.

I bought a bunch of DVDs off eBay and all of them included VAT in the price. It didn't have the import fees section under the price that I remember it having in the past. A book I bought didn't have it which is correct as they're exempt from VAT as far as I know. Postage label is marked VAT paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

I sell a lot of stuff using ebay.ie going into Europe and UK. I recently sold a Neo Geo into the UK, and no VAT was taken by eBay at the point of sale. The buyer requested I put a much lower value on the shipping label though.

I may be incorrect about the buying from UK aspect as I haven't bought anything from the UK via eBay without using a proxy service in a long time.

Sales tax is collected for US sales, so they have some things in hand. Perhaps it's something they will catch up with in time.

-_-

Since the game has become playable on the XBox One/Series S and X, I take it that it's become hard to find?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Prices seem to be hovering about the €50 mark on ebay and it's not available digitally in Europe, it's $9.99 on the US site.

CEX in the UK have a few copies available for £12, but you'll need someone in the UK to buy it for you and send it on.

I found my copy in the pile of 360 titles, few of which have seen the light of day in nearly a decade.

It does strike me that it's quite a pity that, while MS has made efforts to bring older titles to their current consoles, my PS3 collection just sits there unplayed because Sony have no intention of doing the same, in particular when you think there is no way then to play Ridge Racer 7 on the PS5!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Inviere

Received today, fantastic, thanks for the heads up @dav09 I can now vouch for kiwi-electronics :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ace combat 6 is getting harder to find as well.

I bought ridge racer 6 digitally but it's a pain in the arse as I have to keep changing the address on my account to play it. Better off getting it on disc.

I'd say keep an eye on Adverts for job lots of 360 games, as well as the likes of the bargain bin in GameStop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mame is 25 years old today... Well yesterday. Probably the most important release in game preservation history.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

We wouldn't have Dino Rex so well known if it wasn't for MAME

The gold standard on so many levels - the strive for continuing accuracy, hardware and software documentation/preservation, open source contributions, standing up for what's right in the 'scene', the list goes on. A really amazing piece of software, and team behind it.

Mame has really set sights on many platforms these days, I use it for Apple II, cd-I, and a few others. I love reading the release info for new improvements to micros and consoles as well as arcade hardware.

What is the best way, aside from owning the original hardware, to play the Sega Model 1 to 3 arcade games?

I have a want on me to play Scud Race and Desert Tank again

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

For model 1, mame is excellent. Supports link play over the network.

For model 2, mame is actually great for some games and they run at their native medium resolution with groovymame. There are 3D maths emulation errors though so you get bizarre bugs like flying cars in sega rally. For model 2 stick with the m2 emulator.

For Model 3 well there really is only one option - supermodel. Model 3 games are now playable in mame if you have a new i9 12900k cpu but even then it drops to 60% framerate in scudrace driving by areas with intensive background animations.

After that it was naomi and these are all playable in demul (also mostly playable in mame but you need a beast cpu).

Cxbx-reloaded plays some sega chihiro games.

After that is was all pc based hardware and teknoparrot runs the majority as sort of hack/port to Windows.

Basically skip everything above and load up outrun2 SP SDX on teknoparrot multiplayer and play that forever.

Post edited by 80s Synth Pop on

Model 1 would be mame, its possibly set up and ready to go on that emulation pc I set up for you. Can't remember what I set up in terms of systems.

Model 2 would be model 2 emulator (control scheme and reconfiguring such is a bit annoying). Mamedev themselves would tell you that makes model 2 driver isn't great yet.

Model 3 would be supermodel. That emulation pc likely isn't up to it Cidey, it's quite weak from memory.

Has anyone had experience with Teknoparrot? I'd be interested in trying it, but it flags as malicious by malware bytes. Similarly the games themselves all have their own exe's and many of them flag as malicious too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

For me nearly any software that's used for playing PC based arcade titles always gets flagged by my antivirus or anti malware systems. I'm sure most of it is ok and just getting flagged because of how it works, but its a pain and I end up not taking the risk.

Same, and like you, I'm just not taking the chance. I run a global backup on my server and emulation drives every month or so, so everything is safe, but the time/energy to restore it all is a headache ill try avoid wherever possible. Pita because Teknoparrot uses vmware, so it can't even be ran virtually. Only way would be to use a second offline pc for it, but I much prefer the all in one approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

I've teknoparrot going on 3x cabinet PCs and no issues at all.

I do recall downloading a prebuilt hyperspin setup years and years ago that set off antivirus alarm with the teknoparrot folders but that is no longer the case on the latest downloads.

You can upload the exe's to virustotal.com and take a look at the results to see if you are happy prior to running them. In my case though these are all throwaway dedicated cab pc's that i don't have any data on them. Just running bog standard windows defender antivirus and it doesn't flag anything. They all connect back to a server under the stairs to stream the game files and artwork from a readonly network drive.

I wouldn't bother with it though if your cab monitor is 15k as the lowest resolution on these teknoparrot games is 640x480 and at 15k my word the headache inducing interlaced flicker is too much.

They do look amazing on a trisync or quadsync crt. The 2d joystick games would probably look even better on a full hd lcd cab like a namco noir but I don't have one and never got around to setting it up on my main pc with hotrod joystik. I just use it to play the driving games on my twin driving cab and light gun games / 2d fighter games on the PC attached to the naomi cab.

It really is a wonderful piece of software IMHO. Emulation purists do not like it as it's more of a hack conversion than proper emulation. If traditional x86 cpus ever die out in future and things go the way of arm / apple m1, there will be no way to run these games until they are fully emulated properly.

Advertisement