Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Another holy grail fan translation hit today, one I've wanted to play for years. Baroque has been fan translated for the PS1.

It's a weird rogue like first person dungeon crawler with some really creepy religious imagery and atmosphere. It also has a banger on a soundtrack:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Got my Hydra scart switcher in the post today - should have bought one years ago, it's absolutely amazing.

I've always had my scart cables linked into a manual switch box so have had to do some crazy cable tracing around units to get the switch box accessible from the front of the TV.

With the auto detect on this, the Hydra can now sit behind the TV out of the way and be forgotten about. Just turn a console on and up it pops with no visible signal degradation.

Consider me absolutely sold. Next step is to pick up one of those add on extenders for it to expand the number of scart inputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Yeah the Hydra is good. Uses less power to run compared to the gscartsw as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Inviere

I presume no voltage leakage either, ie, one console powered on partially powers up another connected console?

Master of the Universe

Nope! Seems quite clean, no LEDs on other consoles coming on like with the Bandridge multi scart.

Speaking of which, I must lash my one of them up on ebay, I see they're still selling for about 80 quid. Madness!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

More crazy fan translation news. This time Disaster Report 3 on the PSP:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Absolutely, total sh1tshow of a release. Quick cash-in and lashed together by a few interns.

Once modded though it's not too bad, grand for the kids to mess about with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There was a SNES game in those series, wasn't there?

On board a ship, used a lot of mode7, I think

It wasn't part of the series but you are thinking of SOS/Septentrion. Really cool game which has you trying to escape while rescuing survivors that are totally optional. Pretty sure mode 7 was used to rotate the entire play area over time to represent the ship capsizing. Would love to give it a proper go. Human did some really interesting games like this even though it's fairly jank.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Not sure if this is the right thread but is this for the bin do you think?

This is after a clean which fixed the other issues but there's still unreliable D-pad presses. The only way I can use it is through a new Daemonbite adapter and that seemed to be acting a little weird on first use so I can't be 100% that's not an issue, but this is no bueno I'm guessing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

The carbon coating is worn off the D-pad contacts (that controller has had a lot of hours on it), its probably bouncing (electrically) like crazy when pressed and the games logic is filtering most of it out as noise.

The Daemonbite adapter is latching earlier and passing on the button press as valid.

This can be repaired alright with a carbon pen, it would be a good as a finish as the original but should work - a good carbon pen though is in the range 20-40 euro so replacement controller might be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Thanks, I think I’ll stick it in a drawer and try and get another one so. Feels like everything has lost its spring on it anyway, I’m guessing the membranes wear down with this amount of use.

It’s been so long since I’ve used real hardware I’ve no idea how things are ‘supposed’ to feel. Got a mega drive pad from the same seller and the board looks better but everything’s creaky and stiff. The d-pad seems pretty much the same as on my wired retrobit which I presumed was bad as when I played outrun it would shift gears when going round corners. Never played the MD version though so maybe that’s how it was. Or maybe the PAL controllers were better than the Japanese (they look to have different dpads internally)?

Jaysus, thought getting original controllers would be the simplest of all changes. Already eating up my time, washing buttons in the sink on a Monday night 🙄 Once again, any form of change shows itself to be a bad idea 👍

EDIT: Turns out the daemonbite was causing some issues as well, something felt off right from the start in fairness - wouldn't recognise a 2-button input for menu etc.

Had both controllers connected at the same time and this looks like a no-no. MiSTer only assigns 1 VID:PID to the adapter (xxxx_xxxx_P1_v3) so not sure how this is working under the hood. Good news is I can assign the menu on the MD controller and it works by default on the SNES, going back to needing a keyboard was a real downgrade.

Everything feels much better and any missed inputs I'll put down to the controller for now but my smooth brain is a bit confused about how all this works tbh. Would feel better if I bought separate adapters atm.

Post edited by Mucashinto on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

When the console is cheaper than the Lego set, questions must be asked

Then again, make a little space in there for a RPi0 and have it auto-start into a 2600 emulator...

Might be interesting!

Master of the Universe

My main problem with Lego is where the feck do you put the completed object once it's done? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I've hit a 'no more space' issue with Lego from BTTF and NASA related kits. You need to install shelving, lots and lots of Ikea shelving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I’m half way through building the Delorean myself. No idea where it will go, let alone the Space Shuttle on the floor in my office.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

For smaller display stuff I'm going to start 3D printing some shelves to the sizes I need and putting them up on the walls in the office. The place is maxed out with billy bookcases and stuff like that. But I have a lot of corners and wall space I can use.

Something like this(not my pics):

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

You'll need to decide if it will be finished as a BTTF 1, 2 or 3 :) I went with 2 myself

Second Atari Lego set has been announced:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Yeah those console sets are quite large! My Apollo V and Ferrari F40 are sitting in a wardrobe, nowhere to put them and I've stopped myself getting several other cool sets (Friends/Seinfeld apartments, space shuttle, X wing etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

The wheel mechanism makes BTTF2 very tempting. I told my wife I needed three to have one in each config. That went down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 user_account_1

Whats the deal with shipping and customs these days.

bought an everdrive from kirkzz.

looks like its been in ireland then posted back to UKRAINE? according to the tracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I've had war with an post since February over a Russian item

If it's been returned to Ukraine I'd put money on no taric code on the package and was returned to sender. Even if it's marked as a gift, outside the EU, no taric code and its returned to sender.

An post never informed any other Postal service about this and there's been awful hassle for months now. So much extra expenses and waste of resources because an post weren't prepared for brexit and then went OTT after it happened.

They currently owe me over €700 in lost items, double customs fees etc. Currently on day 20 of 60 of an official complaint. Once that gets past 60 days I can move it up and show an post aren't fulfilling their services and bring them to the small claims court

• Registered Users Posts: 6 user_account_1

Dame thats insane Jack. to be honest I haven't been ordering much since Brexit and the customs crack.

Devastated now I wont get my ever-drive. Looks like no more ordering online for me lol.

My Playdate is on the way from California, I paid duties upfront.

Hoping An Post don't bollox it up

I had that happen as well. Ordered before the war and they sent it back into the warzone. It's because the right customs numbers weren't on it. Arseholes.

• Advertisement

More holy grail translation madness. This time it's not a fan translation.

A completely translated version of the PS2 Goemon game has appeared online at various... Sites. Working Designs famously went out of business trying to get a translation of this game released and were blocked every step of the way by Sony until they had to fold.

Well this is that version, fully translated into English and finally out in the wild.

Advertisement