Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

1229230231232233235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone ever check out videos on the World of Longplays channel? Even if they're tool assisted, I'd never be able to memorise a game. Speedruns are similar.

I checked out Shinobi 3, it's interesting to see what they do differently, whether it's platforming in different ways or just waiting a second for an enemy to move to a certain spot to make your next move easier. To this date, despite playing it over and over for the last 17 years and being one of my all time favourite games I have never beaten the game. The stage with the flying rocks or whatever they are always messes me up. I think I might have gotten past it once, but I lose too many lives/abilities that would put me in an impossible position to finish the rest of the game especially as there's an insane difficulty spike on the last level. One day...

Speed runs too, I always find it amazing how people discover glitches and shortcuts but even then, you still need to memorise the game. The RNG, the patterns enemies take, the hit boxes etc. My favourite games that I know inside out and can play with my eyes closed I'd still never be able to speed run. I never got the achievement on the XBLA version of Sonic for beating the game in 45 minutes, although I got the one for beating Sonic 2 in under an hour. Just couldn't do it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

To think that Google made their name on a search engine that just worked. And now it doesn't. The only reason they are still going is that competitors like bing are complete dog ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,097 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The only game I've ever come close to memorising to those levels is the first Sonic the Hedgehog. Playing it is more meditation than playing a game really, I just zone out. It's actually a great stress reliever! 😁

It's crazy when you think how many search engines there used to be. And you could use specific search engines for looking for certain things.

I used Yahoo as my main hub in the late 90s/early 2000s. Had a Yahoo mail account, was always in the Yahoo Chat rooms and then the Yahoo search engine. How things have changed.

Still find it mad to think that chat rooms have basically vanished completely. They were such a cornerstone of the internet back then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I used to use different search engines to find specific roms. I actually discovered Google that way. Back then people could only upload a small curated selection of a few roms so it took a lot of searching through geocities and angelfire sites to find a working rom you wanted.

I remember the likes of cult of kefka and mame.de being incredible that you could get such a big lost of games from!

Master of the Universe

Oh I remember the Cult of Kefka website too! Actually I'd zero knowledge about FF VI back then so the name was completely lost on me. 😂

You have to wonder how many of the roms dumped back then are still the ones in use today, or were there loads of redumps over the years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I used to love mame.dk back in the day(around 2000-2001 i think). I would download roms in work as the internet was slow at home and spend the evening playing away. Ahh Compaq computers, thanks for the internet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

You can bet loads of the dumps made back in the 90's are still in use. However, REDUMP, NOINTRO, etc. have dumped pretty much every systems images/roms multiple times per year. Each release is not a complete redump of the entire sets but over time I'd guess they've caught everything.

I remember going to college so I could download the enormous 80MB rom of metal slug 3 and take it home on my 100MB zip disk.

There were times I spent the entire day in college in the library downloading roms.

Master of the Universe

Always wished Zip disks went a bit more mainstream than they did. They're a bit like the Sega 32X of data transferring. Everyone had moved on to CD before they really ever got a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I still have my Clik disks and PCMCIA drive around here somewhere. Never had a need for them, but they were cool at the time(in my head anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I would be sitting in the internet cafe, and split the zip across a couple of floppies, before bringing home and reconstituting the game on my hdd.

Exciting times indeed!

That would have been 1995/6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Are these worth anything?

Just the boxes, no games, but has all the inserts etc.

They're quite common unfortunately. I looked up the price of them and they weren't terribly expensive but im sure a collector will be looking for boxes for inboxes copies they have.

Fitted the Rexus Nexus and it's working like a charm and an easy install. I might have a power brick now but it's not the worst compromise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Grand so. Will lob them up on adverts for free.

Is this code any use?

You'll get something for them I'd say.

The codes are useless with the online service down now but you know collectors will love those pristine codes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

^Man behind that is the same man who was part of the Spectrum Vega+, and despite jumping from a sinking ship his fingerprints are all over that fraud.

Not the same audience but for very similar money you could get a brand new fully functioning Spectrum using a ZX Pico in a brand new replacement shell and keyboard membrane. Only down side would be VGA output rather than hdmi.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll definitely be picking one up

Advertisement