Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Did anyone's Tesco have a weird, prolonged hangover where the odd game would turn up months/years later? The purge was what, 2013? I recall picking up a copy of Mario Galaxy for pennies in September 2016. I still look, just in case.

Not for me. Those days ended as quickly as they began. From bizarre late night trips to far flung Tesco's on the promise that they have ltd ed Star Wars 360's in stock....to buying cereal and milk....it all happened so fast, and so long ago, that we the story has descended into myth and legend at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Pretty sure my local Tesco's have just stopped games altogether.

Can't wait till we are all on reeling in the years talking about this in years to come

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I asked about the wall of Star Wars 360s, only to be told, the first time, that they remained at full price, later to discover they were dummy boxes...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,828 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Anyone see this coming up in the RDS?

https://insomniagamingdublin.ie/

They have a 'retro zone' that looks to have loads of arcade machines and pins

https://insomniagamingfestival.com/retro-zone/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Might interest some here, saw this Kickstarter on Twitter

"ONLY 48 HOURS LEFT to secure your place to see Jun Senoue, Act., and Takeshi Taneda perform live in London as SONIC ADVENTURE MUSIC EXPERIENCE - UK!"

https://t.co/IsVgt5NMZo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

o1s1n wrote: »
    Anyone see this coming up in the RDS?

https://insomniagamingdublin.ie/

They have a 'retro zone' that looks to have loads of arcade machines and pins

https://insomniagamingfestival.com/retro-zone/
    I will be now, thanks for bringing that up.

What's the going rate for a hacked/exploited Switch? I've one here with a 128GB sdhc card, fully boxed, mint condition, with dock & all accessories etc... I mean given it's exploited, there's a virtual sea of 'free' content available for it, & I still don't use it. I'm thinking maybe I should move it on...

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    What's the going rate for a hacked/exploited Switch? I've one here with a 128GB sdhc card, fully boxed, mint condition, with dock & all accessories etc... I mean given it's exploited, there's a virtual sea of 'free' content available for it, & I still don't use it. I'm thinking maybe I should move it on...

How do you not use it?? I must play at least two hours a night on mine, one of the best consoles in a very long time IMO

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How do you not use it?? I must play at least two hours a night on mine, one of the best consoles in a very long time IMO

****ing Picross.

I could be playing a sea of amazing games and yet I play 10 minutes of picross and 3 hours of my life are gone and I'm an hour past my bed time.

It's a fantastic little machine, I just don't get a whole lotta gaming time these days, and when I do, I'm more likely to play something retro or on the pc :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Seiken Densetsu 3 is a brilliant brilliant game.. I dare say it's up there with FF6 and Chrono Trigger as the 3 best snes rpgs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

peddlelies wrote: »
    Seiken Densetsu 3 is a brilliant brilliant game.. I dare say it's up there with FF6 and Chrono Trigger as the 3 best snes rpgs.

I've heard a lot of negative things about it being a bit bloated in terms of content and being very relentless with piling on combat on the player.

Also you forgot Earthbound in your 3 best list.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Wondering peoples opinions of this, it seemed like a good deal earlier it was £270. Now it's £289 (€316).
    It still seems like a decent offer to me.
    You could easily make a box flush with it if you wanted it higher, the decal, screen, hardware and setting it up would cost around that in money and your time.
    I don't know how easy it would be to add more games or maybe any of the Pi's, but I am guessing it would be possible.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07K2RJCXS/

Is it too small?

Size:
    Depth: 58.4 cm
    Height: 116 cm
    Width: 48.2 cm
    17 Inch colour LCD screen

vU2oNqo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

Suckit wrote: »
    Wondering peoples opinions of this, it seemed like a good deal earlier it was £270. Now it's £289 (€316).
    It still seems like a decent offer to me.
    You could easily make a box flush with it if you wanted it higher, the decal, screen, hardware and setting it up would cost around that in money and your time.
    I don't know how easy it would be to add more games or maybe any of the Pi's, but I am guessing it would be possible.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07K2RJCXS/

Is it too small?

Size:
    Depth: 58.4 cm
    Height: 116 cm
    Width: 48.2 cm
    17 Inch colour LCD screen

vU2oNqo.jpg

It was £225 on amazon last week, id say stick it on camelcamelcamel and wait for a pricedrop.

Some of us bought them from gamestop just before Christmas when they went down to €200.

We have a dedicated thread for them with info on how to mod them with a raspberry pi and all other sorts of mods:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057842440

The experience becomes much better when you upgrade the joysticks and buttons, but especially yhe joysticks as they are not that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Thanks for that. I think I'll watch it out so. :)
    Looks good with some of the emulators in the photos in that thread.

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    It's a fantastic little machine, I just don't get a whole lotta gaming time these days, and when I do, I'm more likely to play something retro or on the pc :o

That's a shame :(

You play any older games on it at all? I'm actually doing a run through of Doom 2 at the moment, it works really well on it. Still getting in loads of Virtua Racing laps too.

Also trying to finish off Wargroove - not sure if you've ever played the Advance Wars games but it's a pretty blatant (but brilliant!) rip off of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

That's a shame :(

You play any older games on it at all? I'm actually doing a run through of Doom 2 at the moment, it works really well on it. Still getting in loads of Virtua Racing laps too.

Also trying to finish off Wargroove - not sure if you've ever played the Advance Wars games but it's a pretty blatant (but brilliant!) rip off of them.

Check out blazing chrome. It's a super probotector rip off.

Seconded. They nailed it. Looks like super probotector but it plays closer to Hard Corp.

Master of the Universe

Nice one, cheers dudes :)

I saw it on the store but assumed it was just some filler crap so scrolled passed, will definitely check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Nice one, cheers dudes :)

I saw it on the store but assumed it was just some filler crap so scrolled passed, will definitely check it out.

It's in Game Pass for console if you have a sub. It is a play anywhere title so can also be played on pc with the sub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Quick question, PlayStation Classic for €19.99 in GameStop. Yay or nay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Quick question, PlayStation Classic for €19.99 in GameStop. Yay or nay?

Sounds good to me, I'm sure you can hack all sorts onto it now as well

Gonna stick a couple arcade boards up for sale later if I get time (mentioning it here cos the marketplace isn't the easiest thing to catch on mobile) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

beejee wrote: »
    Sounds good to me, I'm sure you can hack all sorts onto it now as well

Thanks, decided to go for it anyway. I know it's not perfect but hard to see a new one going lower than that. They're currently in stock in William Street, Limerick if anyone is interested.

Good stuff! Have to get fear effect onto it, a cyberpunk version of resident evil, always liked that game but seems to be kinda forgotten :)

Unfortunately the one thing the PS Classic is bad at is emulating PS1 games. The emulation is chronic. It works but you are better off with a Vita TV as the emulation there is excellent.

Alanis Morissette forgot to mention it in her song.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Definitely can't go wrong the with Classic for €20, even if it just sat on the shelf as a collectable!

Thanks, decided to go for it anyway. I know it's not perfect but hard to see a new one going lower than that. They're currently in stock in William Street, Limerick if anyone is interested.
    They were 24 in the Parkway there a few months ago, I enabled my friend into getting it. We went out because Sean? (he's glasses) in William St told him there was stuff on sale out there so we took a spin out

Spotted this custom NEO Geo Pocket Colour, very cool

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1uDJJHofuY/?igshid=1hb8m6lepd5kh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Spotted this custom NEO Geo Pocket Colour, very cool

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1uDJJHofuY/?igshid=1hb8m6lepd5kh

Definite Saved by the Bell vibes there!

Advertisement