Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Thank god. Going to get one myself.... once the credit card is paid off.

Dont forget - you have to solder a switching chip to the traces of the board, which need the silkscreen sanded down carefully to expose them, its certainly not just plug and play.

After selling most of my ps1 games i might order one also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Doge wrote: »
    Dont forget - you have to solder a switching chip to the traces of the board, which need the silkscreen sanded down carefully to expose them, its certainly not just plug and play.

I can do a switching chip install for anyone who wants it done :)
    Chuck Peddle died last week, the name may not be familiar to a lot of people here but most will have definitely be familiar with his work.

He is mostly known as the creator of the 6502 processor, used in numerous platforms we've all used over the years (either in original form or derivatives) - NES, Atari 2600, 7800, Atari 8-bit computers, Commodore PET, Vic-20, C64, C128, BBC Micros, Acorns, Orics and the 6502 is still in production today.

He has done numerous interviews on Youtube that are worth checking out if you're interested in such things :)

If anyone is into chip p0rn, this might float your boat :) Completely safe for work

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Doge wrote: »

How are you guys ordering from that site? I tried to order again and always fails to accept Visa for me (probably due to the 2fa protection).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

How are you guys ordering from that site? I tried to order again and always fails to accept Visa for me (probably due to the 2fa protection).
    Checked my email for a past order, shows up as 'Credit Card (SqID Payments)' on their invoice mail - I used a credit card though, not a debit card if thats the issue?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Late to the party.

Started AM2R yesterday and it's fantastic. The quality of the game is pretty much the same level you would expect from a top tier Nintendo produced title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

Late to the party.

Started AM2R yesterday and it's fantastic. The quality of the game is pretty much the same level you would expect from a top tier Nintendo produced title.

Been meaning to get to that for ages, good to hear it's top drawer!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

How are you playing it?
    Flashcart or emu on a PC/RPi?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pretty sure it's only on PC. It's made in gamemaker and was never meant to be on anything only pc
    Might be an Android port.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    How are you playing it?
    Flashcart or emu on a PC/RPi?

Yeah as Retr0 says it's built to run natively on PC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Neither arcade or retro but I blame Dinorex as I've just bought into Xbox Gamepass following his evangelical promotion of the service!
    Outer Wilds here we come... as soon as I've played everything else....

• Advertisement

Beat AM2R.

Nothing much to say other than its fantastic.

One or two niggles.

Advanced moves like shine sparking aren't required but there's a lot of reliance on it for some of the secrets. On fact one secret I looked up required a shine spark to a shine spark reset then another shine spark which is insane to pull off. Still it's not mandatory.

The game feels a little rushed at the end but then this was an issue with the original so can't complain.

Other than that it's one of the best metroidvanias I've played. The map is a godsend. It feels more like Metroid fusion as each section that opens up feels like it's own little metroidvania and the new additional bosses are excellently designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Beat AM2R.

Nothing much to say other than its fantastic.

One or two niggles.

Advanced moves like shine sparking aren't required but there's a lot of reliance on it for some of the secrets. On fact one secret I looked up required a shine spark to a shine spark reset then another shine spark which is insane to pull off. Still it's not mandatory.

The game feels a little rushed at the end but then this was an issue with the original so can't complain.

Other than that it's one of the best metroidvanias I've played. The map is a godsend. It feels more like Metroid fusion as each section that opens up feels like it's own little metroidvania and the new additional bosses are excellently designed.
    How does it compare to Samus Returns?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Neither arcade or retro but I blame Dinorex as I've just bought into Xbox Gamepass following his evangelical promotion of the service!
    Outer Wilds here we come... as soon as I've played everything else....
    Did he even mentioned it at the beers...?

Did he even mentioned it at the beers...?

Most of our conversations in the past six months have had some sort of Gamepass content.
    It took me that long to see the wisdom of his words.
    Now I've gone to having more games then I'll ever play to having even more games then I'll ever play.
    The sense of progression is almost overwhelming.

How does it compare to Samus Returns?

I much prefer it to the 3ds game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Retro Game RG350

Retro Dodo actually put it as his top-2 handheld of all time o_O

*edit*
    They've seemingly released an even faster handheld, the GK350H "Game Kiddy"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Forgot to post, checked out Level Up last week, had to go early think Time Crisis gave me motion sickness :pac: .

Bit quiet but seems like a good space about as busy as Barcadia the Sunday I went. They're adding more stuff in gradually, not serving food til after the new year and they're having a gig NYE I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭megaten

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Retro Game RG350

Retro Dodo actually put it as his top-2 handheld of all time o_O

*edit*
    They've seemingly released an even faster handheld, the GK350H "Game Kiddy"

More interested in the form factor of the Pocket Go 2/Play Go. Apparently it and the RG350 are binary compatible with the old GCW Zero so they should be able to run most opk's from that. I might get one if I can find out if it runs easyRPG or not.

Keep an eye on the new Odroid that's coming out. I think they're saying $55 or so, and for that money, it looks very decent (nice to see a proper dpad, proper button layout, shoulder buttons, and an analogue stick all on a decent form factor for the right money)

I'm trying to decide if it will be worth it to drive to Tralee for a Pacman Arcade1up cab...
    Only the Smyth's there have it in stock...

• Advertisement

I'm trying to decide if it will be worth it to drive to Tralee for a Pacman Arcade1up cab...
    Only the Smyth's there have it in stock...

Is it heavily reduced in price? Tralee for an Arcade 1up cab is an awful long way (fuel costs) for what are pretty basic 'machines'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Uneventful trip to town. Wanted to grab The Terminator on Mega Drive in The Rage but it was sold then I popped into CeX on Westmoreland St for Colin McRae DiRT on 360 but was badly scratched and their disc cleaner, as usual, wasn't working.

I was looking forward to playing the original DiRT to reminisce my favourite Christmas in 2007 when I spent the day playing CoD4 and DiRT. It wasn't a very festive holiday this year as I was working :(

Inviere wrote: »
    Is it heavily reduced in price? Tralee for an Arcade 1up cab is an awful long way (fuel costs) for what are pretty basic 'machines'.

I know, but it's a nice thing and I have room for it.

On the other hand I can get the Space Invaders one locally and probably easily mod that, get a Vert Jamma multi board and do the conversion over to it.

Lots to think about

I know, but it's a nice thing and I have room for it.

On the other hand I can get the Space Invaders one locally and probably easily mod that, get a Vert Jamma multi board and do the conversion over to it.

Lots to think about

How much are they selling it for? You'd have to factor in the fuel costs to Tralee too. I'm a bit apathetic about those 1up's, I have x2 of them, but got them at half price (which is even at the top end of the price I'd pay for them). They're nice looking things, but to make them appealing to an enthusiast, I really feel they need gutting (proper controls mainly), which pushes up their cost.

I have the Asteroids one, got on sale in GS, and to it I added the improved spinner, which was another €60 or so.
    There doesn't appear to be a sale of the current cabs upcoming, and the price is €329 or thereabouts.
    Cost of converting then, another €100 or so.
    And then you are into proper cab money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

The summary of SMK 2019

http://www.mariokartplayers.com/smk/

Was a really strong year for me in the end.

10 player of the week
    5 player of the month
    1 player of the quarter

2 more awards still to be decided and I think I have a chance on both.

56th Pal (Started year at 287th I think)
    44th Ntsc at years end (Only played this for about 4 months this year)

2020 will be the year I aim for top 25 in the world on both codes

Fair dues man!

^^ reminds me somewhat of this vid I watched over the the Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Inviere wrote: »
    Fair dues man!

^^ reminds me somewhat of this vid I watched over the the Christmas

Good video thanks, played a lot of mario kart 64 back in the day, congrats Sparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Happy new year everyone:)

And on the subject of salt here’s a link to our community podcast where he joined as a guest. A long but really interesting episode

https://karthritis.podbean.com/e/karthritis-episode-10-celebrating-scheming-feat-summoningsalt/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Happy new year you sexy bitches. Hope it’s a great one.

From your fave sporadic drunk,
    Atavan

Xoxo

Gossip girl

Advertisement