Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Terry Cavanagh made them and is an Irishman (though based in London) and single handedly makes these games, well music aside!
    His latest is Dicey Dungeons and pretty brilliant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Cavanagh_(developer)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Would League of Legends count?

Maybe some Dave Perry made games but pretty sure he considers himself british despite being from our fair island and those games he worked on were made in Britain/US by a sizable team of non irish people.

Speed Freaks?

There was definitely an irish 8-bit studio making spectrum games at one point.

And what about Atari considering a lot of their arcade cabs were made here.
    THE RUNNING MAN!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Terry Cavanagh is class. He was releasing a lot of little free games on his website and most of them are really fun.

I find it hard to fire up VVVVVV and not play it to completion. I'm terrible at Super Hexagon though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Terry Cavanagh is class. He was releasing a lot of little free games on his website and most of them are really fun.

I find it hard to fire up VVVVVV and not play it to completion. I'm terrible at Super Hexagon though.

I got the soundtrack to Super Hexagon and, as testament to how bad I am, heard parts of the tunes I'd not heard before as I would have died too soon and too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

Sinden Lightgun updates:

He received the first of the injection moulds:

He also improved the performance of the gun and now the white border is super thin:

In fairness, you wont even notice the border during gameplay now, makes it a lot more desireable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you watch anything from the current AGDQ watch the Mushihime Futari run that just finished up. It was utterly insane the level of skill on show and it went right down to the wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

If you watch anything from the current AGDQ watch the Mushihime Futari run that just finished up. It was utterly insane the level of skill on show and it went right down to the wire.

That was insane as and his speech afterwards was too. Amazing.
    Glad a lot of people get to see some bullet hell shmups.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

Doge wrote: »
    Sinden Lightgun updates:

He also improved the performance of the gun and now the white border is super thin.

That's going to be an insta-buy, it'll really complete my emulation setup to be able to play light gun games this way.

Insane stuff. I watched a lot of world record progression videos over the Christmas (not necessarily AGDQ content but in a similar vein), the lads competing at those levels are on another level.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,828 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

With a controller too! You'd assume anyone playing at that level would be using a stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

What happens when an Irish player challenges an American player on his native region SMK.

This happened tonight but one quick spoiler. I wasn’t expected to win and I didn’t

My hope going in was to take one or maybe two races off him. One tries are extremely hard

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/535601432

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

So limited run games are releasing Streets of Rage 4.

They announced it on their Facebook....well worthwhile going and reading the comments. People are not happy with them

So limited run games are releasing Streets of Rage 4.

They announced it on their Facebook....well worthwhile going and reading the comments. People are not happy with them

I was wondering why Ciderman had created 500 spare Facebook accounts :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

While it's a bit ****ty as their games tend to sell out so quickly it probably would never have had a physical release otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

I had a chat with a few devs a while back about this, including the Lizard cube guys and FDG and a few more, and it's just not worth it for european studios to do a physical releases anymore.
    Too many middlemen, taxes and distribution fees... the profits margin end up being around a euro per game sold. They'd never make their money back at that rate. Whereas the return on a digital copy is tenfold or more. So a physical copy would hurt the studios as they're essentially losing out on digital sales when launching.

The distribution system in the US is different so we often see a physical distributor pick up a game they have an interest in (as did a Sega distributor for Monsterboy ) or as a pre-order based limited manufacturing process as is the case with LRG.

LRG gave a pretty candid interview about their business with retronauts.

Pretty much they are stuck between a rock and a hard place. They have to guess the demand for a game and often under deliver spectacularly due to the fear of over producing goods they can't sell and then their business model of not running additional runs of the games they make as this will piss off the collectors that they make their business from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

interesting . yeah I imagine that their model is on a tight rope too . got a link to that interview ?

BGOllie wrote: »
    interesting . yeah I imagine that their model is on a tight rope too . got a link to that interview ?

https://retronauts.com/article/788/episode-141-archiving-classics-and-future-classics-with-limited-run-games

https://retronauts.com/article/1378/a-look-into-limited-runs-retro-revival-projects-in-episode-259

Two interviews about 2 years apart.

After the 16-4 loss earlier this week a new opponent has agreed to race off against me tonight in Super Mario Kart TT one tries.

Against a player Ranked #9 in the world this will be a very tough match but if I perform to my best I’ll take quite a few tracks.

Match will start around 10pm GMT but we will be setting up from earlier. I’ll also be doing some streamed practice from about 9pm

My channel for practice

twitch.tv/sparksf1

Race channel with commentary

twitch.tv/dangermoll

So hopefully you will take a look at what we hope becomes a much bigger event in the future :)

• Advertisement

Played 2 old games:

NightTrap

It's a baffling game... they filmed all these scenes for the game but if you want to actually play the game properly you can't watch any of it as you are constantly trying to catch the bad guys. It's actually not a complete **** show some people will make it out to be. There's some fun to be had with it and had some fun playing it.

X-Wing

I loved the Tie Fighter games but never played XWing. It's still pretty brilliant and actually feels more star wars than any of the post star wars films ever did.

One problem... oh my god this game is tough! There's no ****ing about. Your ship despite the shields is made of paper maiche.

Inviere wrote: »
    Broadcast-only (Satellaview) Snes game found and released

https://www.gamingalexandria.com/wp/2020/01/19/cooly-skunk-snes-unreleased/

Thank god some collector didn't get it and lock it away.

Inviere wrote: »
    Keep an eye on the new Odroid that's coming out. I think they're saying $55 or so, and for that money, it looks very decent (nice to see a proper dpad, proper button layout, shoulder buttons, and an analogue stick all on a decent form factor for the right money)

Just following on from this, ETA Prime got his hands on a pre-release unit. Colour me impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

€320 + shipping* for a candy cab?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-39-ASTRO-CITY-JAPAN-CANDY-CABINETS/312918112577?hash=item48db5f7941

*if you go in with 39 other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

The_B_Man wrote: »
    €320 + shipping* for a candy cab?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-39-ASTRO-CITY-JAPAN-CANDY-CABINETS/312918112577?hash=item48db5f7941

*if you go in with 39 other people.

+customs

That be *fun* having to line up 39 people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭geotrig

+its yaton so yeah !!!! and it doesnt look like they are workers either and knowing yaton he has half the bits sold off as spares already so your looking at about 500 quid for none working cab !! nah **** that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    +customs

That be *fun* having to line up 39 people

Actually, it'd only be 38 other people! Bargain! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34,828 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's like one of those adverts.ie ads where you see someone trying to sell a whole collection together for a mental price - the only thing rarer than the collection is a buyer to take the whole lot in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Guy in oz has badly damaged 70 odd cabs in a lightning storm. Says the pcb traces have blown off the boards.

https://youtu.be/mS66g4TltFc

All my kit is always plugged in with the power controlled by smart sockets but it really needs to be unplugged to be 100% safe. How unlucky do you have to be for this to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Actually, it'd only be 38 other people! Bargain! :p

Make that 36 other people, I’d take 2
    And shipping is included in the price

Advertisement