Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Always like readings others' stories about how they got into older stuff.

2010-ish, I was broke and there was a billion older games I'd never played going cheap. That was a billion years ago and now I could pretty much set up a decent PS4/XBone/Switch collection for the price I'd pay for a couple of common-but-loved GCN games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

There's been a hack/theft of info from RouteFree (the iQue people), supposedly source code related infro relating to N64 DD, GameCube, & Wii

https://twitter.com/LuigiBlood/status/1256547249540210688

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

150 odd arcade cabinets found in a raid in texas, and part of a sting operation by the cops too. Some great stuff in there, at least 4 trons :)

95387511-10219369566222608-6422308496569532416-o.jpg

94946408-10219369566982627-967812331159420928-o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I started collecting between 06/08, my nephew's gave me their PS2 after getting a PS3 and after I got paid to babysit we'd go up to GameStop for a look, I could usually get 1 game out of it and my nephew's would watch me play all them.

Sometimes I wish I picked up more but wasn't sure if they were mid way through a series like Persona 3 not knowing I could just start from there. I definitely agree with Atavan it used to be way more accessable.

I still have that PS2, they think it's hilarious I still play it (they're in their 20s now).
    I didn't rub off on them they only play Fifa but all the scary games they saw they're not afraid of any horror films.

I already had a GameCube from my confirmation but didn't use it that much and still probably the smallest part of my collection, I just rarely came across stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,828 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Turned on my cabs there too last night for the first time in a while.

Ended up giving The Last Bade 2 and Fixeight a bash.

I much prefer the first Last Blade game, however since getting a New Geo multi cart ive become super lazy and tend to leave it in there rather than swapping out carts.

Should probably go back to the carts as I tend to spend half the time flipping though games as per the usual with multi carts!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seems that the massive leak at Nintendo in the last few days is generating some really nice fan made efforts. A lot of source code was leaked and as a result Mario 64 has been source ported to PC.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Seems that the massive leak at Nintendo in the last few days is generating some really nice fan made efforts. A lot of source code was leaked and as a result Mario 64 has been source ported to PC.

That's unrelated to the recent leak, the Mario 64 source code has been worked on for a while now I thought? It just happened to release in the last few days...

What's hugely interesting that has been discovered in the recent leak, is the complete Verilog (HDL) for N64, GC, & Wii.

Most are saying the leak won't result in anything regards emulation though, as Dolphin is clean room based (self figured out, and open source to boot). If Ninty got a hint of their code being used in Dolphin, it'd mean the end for the emulator. That said, I'm sure a few sneak peaks to see how some stuff is done, & then a wink wink alternate solution is figured out as a result, well, who's gonna know

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oopsie. A quick glance over the eurogamer article made me think it was to do with the leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I had a go of that Mario 64 PC/DX12 port today. Interesting from a technical point of view for sure.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I had a go of that Mario 64 PC/DX12 port today. Interesting from a technical point of view for sure.

Had a bash of it there myself. Lovely higher rendering resolution (native), widescreen support, and twin stick support! Now, if they could only reverse the x-axis on the second stick for camera controls it'd be better :o

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    Had a bash of it there myself. Lovely higher rendering resolution (native), widescreen support, and twin stick support! Now, if they could only reverse the x-axis on the second stick for camera controls it'd be better :o

Inverted y-axis is the way god intended it to be.

Master of the Universe

Half Life and Quake 3 arena on the PS2 changed my opinion of the inverted Y axis for FPS games.

I'd put so much time into the PC versions of both games, that having up as up and down as down on the right analogue stick made it feel far more like a mouse moving up and down. (Rather than a flight stick which is what inverting mimics in my mind anyway)

Still use inverted for flight sims and camera controls though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Inviere wrote: »

I tried editing the sm64config.txt file to remap the controls and then locking the file(read only). It didn't work, it doesn't overwrite it, just ignores it.

Ace Combat 7 has inverted y-axis and Ace Combat 7 is God Tier. Therefore inverted y axis is the way of the lord.

On a more serious note, most japanese players like to invert the y AND the x axis.

Madness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ace Combat 7 has inverted y-axis and Ace Combat 7 is God Tier. Therefore inverted y axis is the way of the lord.

On a more serious note, most japanese players like to invert the y AND the x axis.

Madness.

This post is suspiciously like your first ever post...

The more things change, the more they stay the same, aside from my hairline.... goddammit!!

Inverted y-axis is the way god intended it to be.

What does God need with a y-axis?
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Still use inverted for flight sims and camera controls though.

Same. It's just right for flight controls. For anything else though, it needs to up is up, down is down, left is left, and right is right....I'm too old to reprogram my brain for anything else :o

Master of the Universe

Yep, it makes sense for flight sims alright as it's mimicking the flight stick.

If you press 'up' on the analogue stick, you're really pressing forward on the flight stick, which pushes the nose down in a plane.

Same with pressing down on the analogue stick, you're really pulling back, which lifts the nose.

FPS games now I just imagine the right stick is a mouse, so up is up and down is down. Although I can farily quickly switch my brain between the two if needed due to playing inverted for years too.

Here's one I could never get my head around though, ever play a FPS PC game on with an inverted mouse? :D fairly sure Duke 3D is inverted by default if I remember correctly.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Here's one I could never get my head around though, ever play a FPS PC game on with an inverted mouse? :D fairly sure Duke 3D is inverted by default if I remember correctly.

Yep, truly awful, dunno how anyone does it :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Must try Half-Life Alyx with inverted controls :P

I've always played PC FPS and TPS games with inverted y-controls. Just makes more sense to me. I see it more as controlling your head/camera than moving your head so it makes more sense to me.

Been playing inverted since I discovered +mlook in Quake.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Third person games I could totally understand inverted on too and I'm fairly sure I do the same as it's more a camera control... but FPS PC games? That's a head melter for me! I'd almost consider that the same as inverting the Y axis while just moving a mouse around browsing the internet in general.

I don't think of it as moving the mouse though. And I think about it as a camera or how your head naturally works. If you look up the muscles on your head pull back on the skull downwards. Same if you were operating a camera and wanted to look up.

It's not actually that head melting. I've had to go to non-inverted a few times and while it's a total disaster it only takes a couple of hours to adjust.

Then takes another couple of hours to rewire your brain back to inverted unfortunately.

Most old school PC players who started with quake mostly used inverted. It's what most of the big stars used back then in the esport. I only saw non-inverted being in the majority once console FPS games gained popularity. Apparently comes from flight sims being popular on PC. Lots of old FPS games default to inverted such as goldeneye, turok, timesplitters 2 etc. because it was the standard back then.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I know what you mean alright, you're treating your head in an FPS like a flight stick in a flight sim. So 'down' is actually pull up and 'up' is push down.

My head interprets it more as my eyes, so up is up and down is down as my eyes look around.

I just wish Steam and every console would follow the 360, where you can make a selection for inversion in your profile that applies to every game (even the XBOX One got rid of this feature I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I think we can all share the hope that parents don't pass the inverted preference to their children and soon it'll be nothing more than rumours and legend that players of the past used to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

T1BAUz9lcQ3cmNtwGGse1nHHroo=.gif

Steve X2 wrote: »

I see its been ported to the Switch. Reportedly works perfectly too. Mad what bedroom coders have done in a week or two what Nintendo haven't done in over two years (presumably Mario 64 HD is on the way, but still, there's an audience there for the original games too at an attractive price).

The legal situation is grey:

The ported source code itself is perfectly legal.
    However, to compile the source you need to add N64 Mario 64 assets - these are copyright protected.
    So anyone distributing a compiled copy of the game can and will have action taken against them.
    I gather then that merely hosting the source code, sans assets, is legal.

Pretty sure Nintendo will be bringing Mario 64 to the switch with the new mario collection so will be coming down very hard on this.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure Nintendo will be bringing Mario 64 to the switch with the new mario collection so will be coming down very hard on this.

Yeah for sure there's an updated version of it coming to Switch, and they are cracking down hard on anyone hosting this in its compiled state (as it includes the game assets). Though as I understand it, the actual ported source code itself is freely distributable, as it's free of any Nintendo assets.

It's also running natively on the Pi3 & Pi4 now too!

Advertisement