Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Looks like it was :(

4 different varients. 4 games on each one

€200+ for 16 game gear games on a 1 inch screen.... nice

They have already announced an add-on for the front that makes the screen bigger.

Super disappointed, Sega seemed to be building up some momentum recently with the mini and some great games released.....the hype train has officially crashed and is now in a pile and on fire

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

Looks like it was :(

4 different varients. 4 games on each one

€200+ for 16 game gear games on a 1 inch screen.... nice

They have already announced an add-on for the front that makes the screen bigger.

Super disappointed, Sega seemed to be building up some momentum recently with the mini and some great games released.....the hype train has officially crashed and is now in a pile and on fire

Couldn't agree more, what a godawful disappointment....and price gouging/collector baiting to boot. All that's left to do is announce a new 3d Sonic game :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,828 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

At least they're keeping it historically accurate by not being able to see what's on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The finishing touch of having the magnifying thing partially covering/obscuring some of the buttons is a nice feature.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

The screen size is just taking the mickey

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

The RPGs in the games list too :D:D:D

Can barely read text on a regular GG screen!

Still can't believe it's serious

The huge announcement is apperantly arcade "fog" gaming?

Master of the Universe

Maybe they hadn't intended on that Gamegear at all, but freaked out when the west was expecting a 'big announcement' and their FOG thing is Japan only.

'****! We must give the gaijin nerds something! someone mock up a mini version of an old console!'

I was expecting a Dreamcast mini or something along those lines.

What would have been amazing would have been 1up style Sega cabs. A 2/3 scale crazy taxi or house of the dead would print money for Sega

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Those are shockingly bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It is made for the Japanese market and since it is sold out there I think they might know what they are doing, Japan has a crazy collector culture where people pay big money for novelty items, I can not see how this could ever be aimed at anyone that is actually into playing games as it seems completely unusable but 50 dollars is not that much if you just want something unusual sitting on your shelf and can show friends how absurd the little screen is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Clockwork Aquario, a game made and finished by Westone but mothballed due to the changing arcade market is finally coming out on switch and maybe other platforms.

The creator has been working for years to try and get this game published in some way.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/06/clockwork-aquario-cancelled-westone-bit-entertainment-arcade-game-from-1992-coming-to-ps4-and-switch-in-2020

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

4 of those gamegears mounted in a nice black sunken frame with some modifications would look good on my man cave wall. Not sure if they'd look 200 quid good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Can't remember who I asked before on here and talked, but I got a HDMI-to-AV converter off Amazon and it arrived today.

Hooked it up with the Sega Classic and Playstation Classic and it worked perfectly on a CRTV. There was no slow down, sound worked perfect, kind of better from the CRTV, a bit punchier.

It was powered by 5 volt plug. Someone mentioned they could run it without the plug but I found I didn't get a signal until it was powered. Was about 28-30 euro I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Still can't believe it's serious

The huge announcement is apperantly arcade "fog" gaming?
    I'm looking forward to hearing more about it, Sega Bits had a short video up
    https://youtu.be/n9_A4lO-IcE

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Steve X2 wrote: »
    4 of those gamegears mounted in a nice black sunken frame with some modifications would look good on my man cave wall. Not sure if they'd look 200 quid good though.

Framing the 200 quid would be a better use of the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

As if none of us have spent money on things we don't need or don't use. I've spent too much on vinyls or consoles to be put on display :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

The Game Exchange on Drogheda is closing shop, not sure if they'll just the the remaining stock or keep selling online
    https://www.facebook.com/858361624348896/posts/1468302086688177/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Game Exchange on Drogheda is closing shop, not sure if they'll just the the remaining stock or keep selling online
    https://www.facebook.com/858361624348896/posts/1468302086688177/

Whenever I was in Drogheda I would make a point of calling in.
    Unfortunately I didn't buy that much as there wasn't anything I was really after on the shelves.
    Still, always sad to see a B&M retro shop disappear

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Looking at some YouTube of the Sharp X68000 running some pretty amazing games,

So, I thought I'd have a look at the possibilities...

How much?

$1,400 and more!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254582192333

There has to be a more affordable option, no?
    Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

How much?

$1,400 and more!

Any ideas?

Making a MiSTer might not be a bad idea if you don't mind FPGA emulation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How much?

$1,400 and more!

Any ideas?

Heard meth sells for a decent amount these days.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Heard meth sells for a decent amount these days.

I'm not sure that kind of career change is warranted, not yet anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Japanese PC gaming looks class. Lovely looking machines and those gigantic clamshell game cases with wonderful art.

There's a nice clean boxed one of Buyee selling in 5 minutes for about €500. I expect you need Neo Geo AES collector deep pockets really get into that system though.

Master of the Universe

You'll finally get one after all the mething and whoring and then all the games will die from disc rot. :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    You'll finally get one after all the mething and whoring and then all the games will die from disc rot. :D

Apparently...
    There is a way to add an SD card doohickey...
    Just saying...

Might make the meth whore career pathway worth it #lifegoals

Any ideas?

It's an amazing machine, a souped up Japanese Amiga 1200 if you will. Insanely expensive though, as you've discovered. To tide you over until you save up enough pennies for one, there's a RetroArch core called PX68k which handles its emulation, and handles it amazingly well at that. I find the RetroArch method simpler than the dedicated emulator who's name escapes me at the moment (possibly part of the Neo Kobe pack?)

The emulation itself may seem daunting at first, it's a full on PC you're emulating after all, but once configured, it's choose a game & run to play. As always, while RetroArch is a game changer for emulation, I'd really recommend having a frontend for it like Launchbox....makes the experience much easier and much nicer to use.

Inviere wrote: »
    It's an amazing machine, a souped up Japanese Amiga 1200 if you will. Insanely expensive though, as you've discovered. To tide you over until you save up enough pennies for one, there's a RetroArch core called PX68k which handles its emulation, and handles it amazingly well at that. I find the RetroArch method simpler than the dedicated emulator who's name escapes me at the moment (possibly part of the Neo Kobe pack?)

The emulation itself may seem daunting at first, it's a full on PC you're emulating after all, but once configured, it's choose a game & run to play. As always, while RetroArch is a game changer for emulation, I'd really recommend having a frontend for it like Launchbox....makes the experience much easier and much nicer to use.

I'm aware that you have used a series of words, nouns, adjectives and verbs, to describe something.
    But, to tell you the truth, I'm not sure of much of it...
    I would assume that a RPi isn't going to cut the mustard on this one....

I'm aware that you have used a series of words, nouns, adjectives and verbs, to describe something.
    But, to tell you the truth, I'm not sure of much of it...
    I would assume that a RPi isn't going to cut the mustard on this one....

I'm not actually sure how the Pi would handle this, from a quick glance it seems to run at least some of the games?

I can't attest to how the experience would be though, I find you need a physical keyboard for entering menus to swap discs etc...maybe it can be done with an onscreen keyboard & controller though?

• Advertisement

I seem to remember emulation of the machine was pretty good once you figured out how to get the games working. Was nice and fast. It might be a rare beast but the architecture is very well made and understood.

Some really good stuff on that system although with the ability to add better processors and graphics cards it can get a bit crazy. Some really cool early 3D stuff on it including a very playable game from the team that would eventually make jumping flash on the PS1.

Capcom conversions were pretty much arcade perfect as it was practically a CPS1 system and they used beefed up X68000's to develop on.

Be warned that it's very difficult to find roms for the japanese PC games as the emulation and rom communities are very insular and closed off from the western communities. Think HG101 did an article about 15 years ago about how to find them and it's probably way out of date now.

Advertisement