Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Joe Bleeps did a unboxing and play of the PC Engine mini if anyone's interested

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Whenever I was in Drogheda I would make a point of calling in.
    Unfortunately I didn't buy that much as there wasn't anything I was really after on the shelves.
    Still, always sad to see a B&M retro shop disappear
    I was gonna buy something online but think it sold before I'd the chance, not much I'm after atm either.
    I think I met them at an event and seemed like a sound crowd so kinda sad for them.
    Still no word if they'll continue to sell online only or just til stocks run out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just seen it. Can't wait for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Really loving the Gameboy in quarantine. Tetris and some Gargoyles quest.

What are yere favourite games? Hidden gems?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Final Fantasy Legend games are excellent little RPGs.

The megaman titles from Megaman 2 onwards are great. Especially V but it's rare outside japan.

Trip World is great but not worth the insane price.

Mole Mania is a great late GB game.

The wario land games are brilliant particularly 2 and 3.

Donkey Kong '94 is one of the best games of all time.

Castlevania 2 on the Gameboy is excellent.

Kirby 1 and 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Dragon Warrior/Quest Monsters is a great Pokemon clone that's a better Pokemon game than, well, most early Pokemon games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Kylo Ren wrote: »
    Really loving the Gameboy in quarantine. Tetris and some Gargoyles quest.

What are yere favourite games? Hidden gems?

Same here - I'm making my through Castlevania 2 Belmont's revenge

Mole Mania is also excellent, and so is Donkey Kong - it's starts like the arcade but when you clear a few levels it starts the real game - 100 puzzle levels

Edit: Sorry @Retro ! Just saw your reply and you mention all the games I did

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Smyths have the MK and TMNT Arcade1up cabs up for preorder at €399 and €499 respectively.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

You would want to be insane to pay those prices.

• Advertisement

You would want to be insane to pay those prices.

That's the rrp on them, and they come with the risers. Still wouldn't get one though, first thing that would need to be done is to replace the awful sticks.

They might drop in price like the last ones after a while. 500 quid though for one is madness. Didn’t think shops here would take a gamble on them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

That's the rrp on them

People will undoubtedly pay it, but they're not worth remotely that much. These cabs should be €199, they're not worth a cent more.

They might drop in price like the last ones after a while. 500 quid though for one is madness. Didn’t think shops here would take a gamble on them again.

Don't forget the TMNT one is a 4 player cab, hence the extra cost.

Ideally you'd be able to grab a TMNT one sub €300.

They aren’t for me to be honest , they are handy I guess for people just wanting a quick arcade without the hassle of building / restoring one.

Don't forget the TMNT one is a 4 player cab, hence the extra cost.

Ideally you'd be able to grab a TMNT one sub €300.

Two extra ****ty joysticks and 12 extra ****ty buttons hardly warrants that additional premium though?

Inviere wrote: »
    Two extra ****ty joysticks and 12 extra ****ty buttons hardly warrants that additional premium though?

Even though they're crap, if you were to source those same parts they would run not that far away from €100. Best advice would be to wait until its cheap and swap it all out for Sanwa parts.

Even though they're crap, if you were to source those same parts they would run not that far away from €100

Arcade1up will be buying these crappy parts in bulk amounts...even retail prices for 2 cheap sticks & 12 cheap buttons wouldn't run anywhere near €100. The price is this high purely because of the game on it, because the hardware definitely isn't quality or expensive.

Here's the type of junk in those cabs - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcade-Joystick-Game-Part-2-Stick-20-Push-Buttons-Red-Black-Kits-Raspberry-Pi/132730478915?hash=item1ee75a6143:g:7dkAAOSwDmxcRnS8

^^ that's $37 for two sticks, x20 buttons, x4 wiring harnesses and x2 encoders. Arcade1Up are certainly paying less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I don't think the markup on these cabinets even at €500 is that mad. I mean distribution and marketing costs money. Other people retailing it for them. You can't just look at the cost of the raw materials.

I wouldn't be that arsed getting an arcade cabinet with an LCD personally. Although I get why it wouldn't be viable to make a CRT one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

20% of the retail price here is VAT too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,828 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Again, I'll liken it back to bartops selling for a grand and those monstrosity LED buttoned multicades selling for even more - sometimes items aren't worth the sum of their parts/the effort that goes into them.

the-homer-inline4.jpg

You can't just look at the cost of the raw materials.

Obviously not no, there's lots of other costs involved. At the end of the day though, it comes down to value. Are these cabinets worth €400/€500? Not even close is the answer imo. Even if it somehow cost a big chunk of the manufacturing/licensing to produce these things, the end result still isn't worth it (for rrp).

I've always felt the gut-feeling retail price of them is €199.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I don't want to be overly hyperbolic, but that is perhaps the greatest thing I've ever seen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    I don't want to be overly hyperbolic, but that is perhaps the greatest thing I've ever seen.

You've had multiple Ponys in your living room...
    And yet... this is the greatest thing you've ever seen?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone know off the top of their head if the Japanese PSP X and O select/back config can be swapped back to EU/US setting? I don't think it effects games just the system, would be nice to swap off possible with CFW.

Not seeing any nice examples of boxed 3003 models, found a nice clean one in Japan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Speaking of those 1up cabs, did I have a dream, or is it real, that the Sinden guy is teaming up with them for their next 1up shooter??

Master of the Universe

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Speaking of those 1up cabs, did I have a dream, or is it real, that the Sinden guy is teaming up with them for their next 1up shooter??

Mini Time Crisis? I might just...!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Anyone know off the top of their head if the Japanese PSP X and O select/back config can be swapped back to EU/US setting? I don't think it effects games just the system, would be nice to swap off possible with CFW.

Not seeing any nice examples of boxed 3003 models, found a nice clean one in Japan though.

AFAIK no. I have a Korean PSP with CFW that has the x/o swapped and didn’t see any options to change it. That was years ago so I’m not sure if it Has changed recently. It only affects the home menu though so in games it’s the normal x for select

• Advertisement

It should be O for select anyway. Fecking western playstation games changed that and I don't know why.... or how as the button on the SNES corresponding to O was always select.

Advertisement