Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

Kolido wrote: »
    Guys, what would be the best option for retro gaming on handheld? Buying one of those dedicated to emulation, 2nd hand PSP/DS, mobile with controller? The ability to use headphones would be essential for me. Budget, probably max 100eu. Any advice would be appreciated.

Have a look at the Odroid Go Advance (I think the Black Edition is the latest one)...of all the emulation based handhelds, it looks like one of the better ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭megaten

DSi XL's are like 50 to 60 quid so its probably fine to go with jsut that. All the good 3DS games are mostly nintendo or Atlus games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Did anyone buy a MegaSD? I was about to as I wanted to mess around with changing the megadrive soundtracks to CD audio however I see they are based outside the EU which means around 70 euros extra in import tax, meaning the cart will cost 350 including shipping....no thanks to that.

And I really wanted to mess around with it :( I suppose if anyone wants to sell me theirs I can give you 220 for it and you can put that money towards the new Mega Everdrive pro that is coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,828 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

They ship from Andorra which I have just learned are not in the EU but use the Euro.

I'd say the chances of you being charged import tax are so low it's worth a shot.

Isn't there a new Mega Everdrive coming out soon though that supports Mega CD games? Smaller profile too, might be worth the wait.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    They ship from Andorra which I have just learned are not in the EU but use the Euro.

I'd say the chances of you being charged import tax are so low it's worth a shot.

Isn't there a new Mega Everdrive coming out soon though that supports Mega CD games? Smaller profile too, might be worth the wait.

Alternatively, wait six months for the happy chappies in AliExpress to make a tribute...

• Advertisement

Yeah but it wont support MD+ as the Mega SD does, meaning it wont allow you to add Cd quality music to regular Megadrive games. I have heard from a few Europeans that they got hit with the big import tax bill. I bought a SD2SNES cart instead as I just had the regular snes everdrive so that will scratch that MSU1 itch for a while.

Of coarse a lot of games sound better in their origional form however stuff like a link to the past, Super Metroid and F-Zero work really well with the MSU1 sound, Also I want to replace all of Mega man X with the Megadrive version of the tracks as I think they are better.

Brain picking time....has anyone any thoughts on how to price this for sale? It's near mint, possibly never been used for actual gaming, and really only sat on display on a shelf for a time. Having a hard time valuing it...

IMG-20200626-112408.jpg

IMG-20200626-112415.jpg

IMG-20200626-112515.jpg

IMG-20200626-112544.jpg

IMG-20200626-112607.jpg

IMG-20200626-112653.jpg

IMG-20200626-112754.jpg

IMG-20200626-112759.jpg

Master of the Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

That's actually a crazy good price. The Pokémon games must be close to 200 euro alone.

Master of the Universe

Kylo Ren wrote: »
    That's actually a crazy good price. The Pokémon games must be close to 200 euro alone.

Whaaaaaaaat? Christ I seem to be really out of touch with videogame prices so!

• Advertisement

You are better off my friend!

Cheers man, yeah it's not an easy one to price. I've listed it on Adverts there with a banzai price, hoping it's not totally out of the water (with some Adverts tax applied obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Heart Gold on it’s own goes for €80-120 with the original box and poke walker. I was looking at it for ages in HMV back in the day for €50 and figured ah no I’ll wait

I sadly damaged the box off mine after I came home drunk one night and fell onto a chair full of games :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Did anyone buy a MegaSD? I was about to as I wanted to mess around with changing the megadrive soundtracks to CD audio however I see they are based outside the EU which means around 70 euros extra in import tax, meaning the cart will cost 350 including shipping....no thanks to that.

And I really wanted to mess around with it :( I suppose if anyone wants to sell me theirs I can give you 220 for it and you can put that money towards the new Mega Everdrive pro that is coming out.

MegaSD owner here, but no interest in letting it go. Haven't messed with MD+ stuff much at all TBH, but happy enough with its functionality in any case, and while I prefer the interface of the Everdrives (use an X7 with another box), I wouldn't be looking to changeover to the forthcoming Pro.
    Looks a good device though, for anyone looking just to get the core functionality with CD support though, but it might open up some MegaSDs on the auction sites.

FWIW, you'd be doing very well to avoid getting stung on the import IMO. DHL were the couriers IIRC, and they're fairly on the ball. Certainly were for me, as they wanted the payment up front before they'd deliver, unlike say FedEx who sometimes look for later payment (or none at all if you're very lucky).
    Back on initial release, there was uproar about the Andorra move, as it was only added to the product information page long after the preorders - of course, Terraonion were quick to point out they informed people they were moving there.

And by informed, I mean they made one or two throwaway comments on social media.

I'd certainly factor the extra cost into any decision to buy direct from them. Can't remember exactly what it worked out as, but I know there were plenty of customers challenging extra fees and odd currency conversions made by DHL along with the standard tax. Forums were jumping back then.
    Buyer beware and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,418 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Skerries wrote: »

It was good to see all those devices together, a lot of expense though and opening of lovely mint in box stuff. Gotta be opened some time I guess.

New and ingenious PS2 exploit has been written. It uses the dvd player functionality and some clever code to boot homebrew. The author chainloaded it with ESR then to boot a burned disc directly (though won't be including that code with his release as I gather...but as a POC it works). No modchip, no memory card...just put the disc in the code does the rest.

https://cturt.github.io/freedvdboot.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nice! I brought my PS2 back with me from the parents to free mcboot it when I got a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Was back home the weekend and dug out a commodore 64 with a handful of games and a game gear the mother found in the attic, must give them a bit of a clean up and see if they work.

• Advertisement

The Everdrive pro just went on sale, I just bought one, give the old MegaCD a rest.
    https://krikzz.com/store/home/59-mega-everdrive-pro.html

What's the difference between the Pro and the X7?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Kylo Ren wrote: »
    What's the difference between the Pro and the X7?

The Pro has FPGA cores for the NES and Mega CD.

Master of the Universe

The Everdrive pro just went on sale, I just bought one, give the old MegaCD a rest.
    https://krikzz.com/store/home/59-mega-everdrive-pro.html

How much did it clock in at? Looks like they're sold out.

I do think I'll pick one of these up. Don't really have space for my Mega CD at the moment so it would be great to be able to play games for it via this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭geotrig

if you click on the everdrive me link you can see the price !$199 by the looks and postage

How much did it clock in at? Looks like they're sold out.

I do think I'll pick one of these up. Don't really have space for my Mega CD at the moment so it would be great to be able to play games for it via this.

Around 181 euro including postage, they are shipped from the Ukraine so dont know if customs will want money too.

Also I had an extra one still in my basket, I deleted that and it appears they are not sold out now so act fast if you want one.
    https://everdrive.me/cartridges/mega-everdrive-pro.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Relikk

The Pro has FPGA cores for the NES and Mega CD.

An extremely limited NES core, and an unfinished Mega CD core. This release is half-baked and rushed in an attempt to compete with Terraonion's MegaSD. The major issues with the CD core will be fixed in time, though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's a lot of dough for a flashcart, even one as capable as that.
    I think I will stick with the real hardware and my standard Everdrive, for the time-being at least.

Relikk wrote: »
    An extremely limited NES core, and an unfinished Mega CD core. This release is half-baked and rushed in an attempt to compete with Terraonion's MegaSD. The major issues with the CD core will be fixed in time, though.

Yes I saw the Gamesack video also but as with all Kritzz releases these issues are ironed out with firmware revisions as all of his stuff is. It really is not too expensive considering what you get and a Mega CD drive can only last so long, the alternative is the Terraonion MegaSD which will set you back 360 euro landed.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's a lot of dough for a flashcart

It's more than just a flashcart though, it's got the FPGA guts to mimic a Mega-CD too...so while still pricey, I don't think it's outlandish considering you could relegate the Mega-CD to shelf/display duties. The NES core wouldn't appeal to me at all...I'm not a fan of one console playing the games of another just because it can.

However, someone needs to get a 32X fpga core together...it'd be a lovely all-in-one cart to have (MegaDrive, Mega CD, & 32X all together).

Advertisement