Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Relikk

Inviere wrote: »
    However, someone needs to get a 32X fpga core together...it'd be a lovely all-in-one cart to have (MegaDrive, Mega CD, & 32X all together).

32X poses a problem due to the linked AV in/out. That would need to be incorporated into the cartridge itself (or attachment). It would really need to be an all-in-one FPGA system like the Mega SG, with all that routed or switched internally and makes you wonder why it wasn't a feature of the Mega SG, but I suppose if it was easy it would have been done already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

Relikk wrote: »
    32X poses a problem due to the linked AV in/out. That would need to be incorporated into the cartridge itself (or attachment). It would really need to be an all-in-one FPGA system like the Mega SG, with all that routed or switched internally and makes you wonder why it wasn't a feature of the Mega SG, but I suppose if it was easy it would have been done already.

Ah yes, I forgot the 32X only renders half the bloody things on screen...so it'd need its own output. So short of a combined MegaDrive/32X fpga core, with a video-out on the cart itself (which basically means the original hardware is acting like a glorified power supply, and pointless really), there's no meaningful solution to 32X via fpga on a dedicated cart :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,828 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You could set that cart up so it's doing exactly what the 32X does, with the Megadrive's part of the video feeding into it and then a video out of that to the TV.

Wouldn't be the prettiest though. (Although since when did Sega's black mushroom care about being pretty? :D)

o1s1n wrote: »
    You could set that cart up so it's doing exactly what the 32X does, with the Megadrive's part of the video feeding into it and then a video out of that to the TV.

Wouldn't be the prettiest though. (Although since when did Sega's black mushroom care about being pretty? :D)

True, but you're using more hardware that way (it needs a video input and accompanying signal processing)...which could push the cost up even higher :(

The neatest solution might be to wait for someone like Analogue to create a dedicated system, Mega Drive, Mega CD, & 32X all in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

32X has 2 cpus as well as a video processor so would need a large enough FPGA to accommodate that as well as the Megadrive and they tend to be fairly expensive, its a lot of work & cost for a very limited library.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The 32X CPUs are off the shelf parts so well understood and also used in the Sega Saturn so could help a FPGA sega saturn project.

However it's the AV input that is a massive hurdle as it's analogue and probably a timing nightmare to get the megadrive generated graphics to align with the 32X ones.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The 32X CPUs are off the shelf parts so well understood

Is that definite? I only ask because in emulation terms, the 32X has to rely on Picodrive (a small, lightweight emulator that can run on lower-powered device...this meaning it's sacrificing accuracy for speed). I'd have hoped by now that the big hitters like Genesis Plus GX & BlastEm would have added 32X support...

Maybe it's down to a general apathy towards 32X in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Yes I saw the Gamesack video also but as with all Kritzz releases these issues are ironed out with firmware revisions as all of his stuff is. It really is not too expensive considering what you get and a Mega CD drive can only last so long, the alternative is the Terraonion MegaSD which will set you back 360 euro landed.

Aye. It'll be worked on, issues will be ironed out etc
    The MegaSD launched with more than a few issues which required a few firmware updates to resolve especially around supporting directory caching/MD+ fixes/SMS FM bugs etc, not to mention individual title fixes.
    Certainly around half a dozen firmwares have made their way out since launch, so I'd expect similar from Krikzz as issues get reported etc

Both the Pro and the MegaSD are very welcome devices, as those MegaCDs aren't gonna be around forever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Inviere wrote: »
    Is that definite? I only ask because in emulation terms, the 32X has to rely on Picodrive (a small, lightweight emulator that can run on lower-powered device...this meaning it's sacrificing accuracy for speed). I'd have hoped by now that the big hitters like Genesis Plus GX & BlastEm would have added 32X support...

Maybe it's down to a general apathy towards 32X in general?

It's just two Hitachi sh-2s.

I'd say the main emulation issue is that analogue pass through again. Anything analogue will be difficult and I imagine the video chip that combines the av video with the 32x video is custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I see The Rage's old spot has been filled by a barbers, didn't think the area was lacking in that department...

ITJFlpC.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,828 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

With the amount of people needing haircuts after lockdown, I'd say barbers will be building gold houses and buying rocket cars in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Does anyone remember the games import shop that used to be in Dublin around 1992, my memory is a little foggy but I remember it was located upstairs over one of the shops near Barneys Arcade, so near Marlborough Street. I had a huge selection of Japanese Megadrive and Super Famicom games, I got my Sonic 2 there with a pass through converter. It was great and was so good seeing all the Japanese artwork.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not sure if it was that early but there were two retro/import shops down at the end of Talbot St, GameZone and Bookmark and GameSexchange.
    The latter moved towards the end of the 90s further up the street, while the former closed down.
    Mr Calculator was legendary, up off Grafton St.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mr Calculator... you could always tell it by its very distinctive front sine :cool:

I apologise for nothing.

Mr Calculator... you could always tell it by its very distinctive front sine :cool:

I apologise for nothing.

It might just have been, and @ CiDeRmAn I am sure of the year as I bought Sonic 2 as it came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I see The Rage's old spot has been filled by a barbers, didn't think the area was lacking in that department...

ITJFlpC.jpg
    Where exactly did RAGE move to, anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Where exactly did RAGE move to, anyway?

A strange man in a dark alley told me Token, but he's been wrong before...

Analogue's NT Mini Noir delayed until later in the year

https://www.twitter.com/analogue/status/1279067393822621696

Decent, not completely mad, theories doing the rounds about how they are probably trying to incorporate a cheaper model variant, by elevating the Mini to a premium scale (as of the price didn't already) and making room for another product in line with the previous Megadrive and SNES offerings. Leaving it till the actual month it was due to ship with talk of global supply issues does seem a bit unprofessional if taken at face value, and certainly lends itself to a marketing move rumour, but who knows. Offering straight out refunds doesn't exactly seem to support this idea, likewise, no prior indication of a cheaper model that would need to be announced and ready to rock this year.
    We'll wait and see.

Some original NT owners not to happy seeing the improvements announced only after this delay as well

EcApnqSU8AEwVfl?format=jpg&name=medium

And no.......still no update on the Pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Gradius wrote: »
    A strange man in a dark alley told me Token, but he's been wrong before...

It's the same dudes running both places so would make sense to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's the same dudes running both places so would make sense to me.

Token wasn't allowing under 18s in at any time, before the plague hit.
    I wonder what the shop set-up will be like...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

As far as I know they're only offering collection of online orders from there for now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Sega Astro City (mini), I suppose at least this one will fit thru your door..

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/7/21315726/sega-astro-city-mini-arcade-cabinet-retro-price-japan

Sega Astro City (mini), I suppose at least this one will fit thru your door..

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/7/21315726/sega-astro-city-mini-arcade-cabinet-retro-price-japan
    I wonder is it going to be a repackaged Megadrive Mini or will it be running something a little more sophisticated

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Supposedly made of the same material as the original. Microswitch joystick too, which is nice.

Also first home release of Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder after all these years.

Well, its certainly a better idea than the Game Gear mini

and who doesn't need yet another copy of Altered Beast

15.jpg

If the content was an accurate reproduction of the arcade originals I'd buy it no problem, but if it is a collection of Megadrive ports... I'll skip

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If the content was an accurate reproduction of the arcade originals I'd buy it no problem, but if it is a collection of Megadrive ports... I'll skip

They would have to be the arcade versions, I know companies have let us down before but they have to be the arcade versions, lol image getting the MD version of VF2 in a cab:eek: Port on the back for additional game controllers.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

I'd say for sure they will be the arcade versions. The hardware inside will suffice for the needs of the games, I'd be surpised if it were any different to the MegaDrive Mini internally. It wouldn't be cost effective to r&d something new, while the existing Mini hardware can likely handle those games no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Folks, I'm looking for advice.

I bought those Shinden light guns that work on LCDs (due to arrive in Sept/Oct). I haven't got a cab for it yet.
    Is it good "arcade etiquette" to combine a shooter cab with a 2 player control panel? I mean in relation to angle of the screen.
    I'd like to be able to play some games on the sticks and buttons, and then if the mood strikes me, switch to Gunblade or whatever, with the guns.
    But shooters are generally straight up vertical, as opposed to tilted up to 45 degrees with a standard cab. I don't think it would be a good experience to have a shooter with an angled screen.

I reckon if I could get a cheap Viewlix then that would solve the issues, but I get the impression they're pretty big and I don't have a lot of room.
    Maybe I'd be better off slapping a telly on the wall instead?

• Advertisement

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Folks, I'm looking for advice.

I bought those Shinden light guns that work on LCDs (due to arrive in Sept/Oct). I haven't got a cab for it yet.
    Is it good "arcade etiquette" to combine a shooter cab with a 2 player control panel? I mean in relation to angle of the screen.
    I'd like to be able to play some games on the sticks and buttons, and then if the mood strikes me, switch to Gunblade or whatever, with the guns.
    But shooters are generally straight up vertical, as opposed to tilted up to 45 degrees with a standard cab. I don't think it would be a good experience to have a shooter with an angled screen.

I reckon if I could get a cheap Viewlix then that would solve the issues, but I get the impression they're pretty big and I don't have a lot of room.
    Maybe I'd be better off slapping a telly on the wall instead?

Provided the tilt of the screen isn't overly so, I don't think you'd have much issue. The majority of cabs I've owned have only had a small screen tilt, which I couldn't see having any negative effect on how a shooter works. I could be wrong, just guessing here :)

Advertisement