Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Would games like Terminator 2, Gunblade and Operation Wolf not be a problem as they aren't really light gun games and more fake guns attached to trackballs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Inviere wrote: »
    Provided the tilt of the screen isn't overly so, I don't think you'd have much issue. The majority of cabs I've owned have only had a small screen tilt, which I couldn't see having any negative effect on how a shooter works. I could be wrong, just guessing here :)

Ye I know, I'll be only guessing myself, which is why I'm trying to find this out beforehand! :P
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Would games like Terminator 2, Gunblade and Operation Wolf not be a problem as they aren't really light gun games and more fake guns attached to trackballs?

Well it mentions Terminator 2 Arcade specifically on the website:
    http://www.sindenlightgun.com/

I'll be playing Gunblade one way or the other, even if I have to hook up the Wii and get one of those Wii gun holders!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Ye I know, I'll be only guessing myself, which is why I'm trying to find this out beforehand! :P

From the info on the Sinden website, I don't think it's going to be an issue.

"The Sinden Lightgun can also calculate the angle you are pointing at the television and also your relative distance"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Interesting. I didn't know this!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,828 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Interesting. I didn't know this!

Yeah any gun game that's mounted to the machine (rather than one you pick up in your hand) isn't really a lightgun. They get the data from the mount.

There are quite a lot of them, Alien 3:The Gun and Space Gun also come to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Sega Astro City (mini), I suppose at least this one will fit thru your door..

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/7/21315726/sega-astro-city-mini-arcade-cabinet-retro-price-japan

Looks like it's begging for some modding. I hope there's a reasonable amount of space inside it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Looks like it's begging for some modding. I hope there's a reasonable amount of space inside it :)

Yeah I can see the modders already speculating over that!

Could end up being a great piece of kit.

After the hype and disappointment of the game gear mini I'm surprised that this is

1 so much better than that GG mini

2 is such a low key announcement

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

McDermotX wrote: »
    Well, its certainly a better idea than the Game Gear mini

and who doesn't need yet another copy of Altered Beast
    I'm totally there for Puzzle & Action: Tant-R (seriously I like the Bonanza Bros!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

There will be an Arcade Stick controller and a regular controller released for it. A pic of the regular one has leaked.

Ec-U17k-WAAEDcl-E.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Just to randomly derail the conversation for a second , https://store.steampowered.com/app/465780/New_Retro_Arcade_Neon/
    is on sale at the moment on steam , If you've access to a VR headset on PC its pretty much a required buy , as it lets you populate a late 80s arcade with the cabinets of your choice (well if you have 'the romz' ) , as well as stuff like light gun cabinets(perfect with VR controllers) and bowling /jukeboxes/gameboys /video viewing rooms etc
    It works without VR , but its more of just a very very fancy MAME front end that way( playing it in VR is much much better)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Is it just me or is Virtua Fighter letterboxed within the monitor?

Hopefully it's just a mockup and the picture fills the whole screen up to the bezel.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

So, the BeoVision MX4000 has finally gone to the great CRT graveyard in the sky, super tv it was. The 21" Trini is the sole remaining CRT in the house, using her in tate mode for my vert shmup gaming corner - I have a Saturn, PS2 and Xbox 360 Elite hooked up to her which is working great so far.

But what's the story these days with getting the 360 region modded - does it require soldering or anything like that? A couple of my NTSC-J shmups won't play on it which I'd like to get working if possible.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    So, the BeoVision MX4000 has finally gone to the great CRT graveyard in the sky.

F

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Its feck'n tiny... or that person has huge hands... Screen rotate feature is nice though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

looks cool, but looks waaay to small for my liking, more than 20 mins would be uncomfortable

Its feck'n tiny... or that person has huge hands... Screen rotate feature is nice though :)

Is that the real deal? Going by the date of the video and the joystick and raspberry pi based emulation I'd say its a homemade job(a great one).

3nKeCJj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Is that the real deal? Going by the date of the video and the joystick and raspberry pi based emulation I'd say its a homemade job(a great one).

Ya could well be, I just seen the video elsewhere and assumed it was the same.

Ya could well be, I just seen the video elsewhere and assumed it was the same.

Yeah, the real one doesn't look as nice. That screen rotation would be great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Well that is not it, that is one that I think the guy 3d Printed for himself, it might be that size or it might be bigger, I dont fancy using my 2 fingers to use the joystick.

Is it even confirmed it wont be a Japan only item?

Look at that widescreen :(

nfobVOV.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

But what's the story these days with getting the 360 region modded - does it require soldering or anything like that? A couple of my NTSC-J shmups won't play on it which I'd like to get working if possible.

Yeah soldering required, the RGH mod I think is the latest/greatest way to do it. Haven't done it myself, I think The Last Bandit has done it in the past?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm looking forward to a regular here buying one and sticking it inside of an actual Astro City cab... wiring it into the display and controls....

So, the BeoVision MX4000 has finally gone to the great CRT graveyard in the sky, super tv it was

2f0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Look at that widescreen :(

nfobVOV.jpg

Ick. It's probably hard get a cheap mass produced 4:3 mini screen these days but still.

Ick. It's probably hard get a cheap mass produced 4:3 mini screen these days but still.

Letterboxed within a bezel......real nice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭trout

I'm getting to grips with the wonders of Naomi cabs ... and I found this ... it's mesmerising :)

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/naomi-cabinet-5176f1f4aa5e47e68aa879aa4f4d7550

3D models of naomi cabs, that you can view from different angles, not really useful at all, but very satisfying (might just be me)

Master of the Universe

So, the BeoVision MX4000 has finally gone to the great CRT graveyard in the sky.

Feck the mini Astro, this is the big news of the thread. Sorry to hear that! :(

What recycling centre did you leave it in? Tempted to drive out to Arklow!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    Feck the mini Astro, this is the big news of the thread. Sorry to hear that! :(

What recycling centre did you leave it in? Tempted to drive out to Arklow!

It’s best I don’t tell you what I did with it tbh. :)

My 3yr old also decided to test the aerodynamic qualities of a tv remote today so now my 49” TV is effectively a 43”. Not a great few days for TVs in this house. Sure not the end of the world, **** happens. :D

Anyway, I downsized the retro collection again and moved the NES, MD and super gun up into the attic. Was nice playing a few shmups again I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Not 100% in the loop on "rare games" and prices but this popped up on adverts, anyone know if its in the price range? I do remember this game being rare of some sort

https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/chase-hq-snes-rare-snes-aussie-pal-game/19760650

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

bmorrissey wrote: »
    Not 100% in the loop on "rare games" and prices but this popped up on adverts, anyone know if its in the price range? I do remember this game being rare of some sort

https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/chase-hq-snes-rare-snes-aussie-pal-game/19760650

Not heard about that one but looked it up and it seems a fair price for complete in box. Every so often you do get regional games that go for insane prices and CIB snes games send the price through the roof.

Advertisement