Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Limpy wrote: »
    I have a question, i always thought I was good at games. Did anyone on here think they were world beaters. I thought i was at mortal Kombat.

Fastest ever player at Sonic 1. Unbeatable at Street Fighter 2.

Have had a dose of reality since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Being good at games is a high bar these days. I used play Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander at a reasonably high level in multiplayer when they came out. Grinded my way into the top 50 in the world at SupCom for a little while. That's complete trash by todays standards though the refinement in the way people play today is absolutely mind boggling. I can only scrape an average rating now despite being waaaay better at it now than I was in 2007 and watching hundreds of hours of tournament matches. I see that kind of thing happening across any game that's active for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Would you go for an Asian brand? Oppo, Xiaomi and Honor are good phones for the money.

I'll second Xiaomi. I've a Note 8 Pro about a year, serious specs/value for the money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    I'll second Xiaomi. I've a Note 8 Pro about a year, serious specs/value for the money.

I'm currently using a Oneplus 7t Pro, but the curved edges to the display is driving me nuts, so switching to a Pixel 4XL instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I've had a couple of xiaomi phones too. Great for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm currently using a Oneplus 7t Pro, but the curved edges to the display is driving me nuts, so switching to a Pixel 4XL instead.

Was looking at the 7T last night, doenst have the curved edges which i hate haha

I might be able to get one of those at a discount, i'll know later

if not I'll go with one of the Asian brands ya lads mentioned. I know all phones now are good really. Camera is the main feature for me, since I run lazer steak and my regular jobs facebook all off my phone I need a good camera to take product shots on the day of etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Motorola One Vision has a great camera. The wife and I both have one.

I got them on Amazon UK for around £200, not network locked of course.

That and a €9.99 Gomo SIM, cheap telecommunication!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It looks like that elusive Megadrive version of Street Fighter 2 championship edition was found, it is the one with the big black border on the top of the screen that all the games magazines had pictures of, but then the only versions people could find was special champions edition and SF turbo beta so it is interesting this finally appeared.
    https://hiddenpalace.org/News/The_Lost_Street_Fighter_II:_Champion_Edition_for_Sega_Mega_Drive

• Registered Users Posts: 34,828 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Fastest ever player at Sonic 1. Unbeatable at Street Fighter 2.

Have had a dose of reality since.

Used to get into the top 10 in the world playing HalfLife DM when the CLQ Quake leaderboards were up years ago.

Then Half Life AG came along :eek: people got ridiculously good and I gave up.

Felt like a god after finishing all the Dark Souls games ... Until I saw someone finish them with a dance mat.

Happy enough now in the knowledge that I'm mediocre at best. Id die within seconds if I joined a Fortnite server or whatever else the cool kids are playing these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I find it is games I mastered when I was young I am really good at, it is hard to dedicate the time involved to get good at current games and there is also an age factor, but put me in front of Street Fighter 2 or Ghouls N Ghosts and I am like a fish to water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Phones: I won't buy stuff from China anymore, or manufactured in China. Slim pickings, but it's not hard to identify stuff.

As for being the best at certain games, I think I had the record for resident evil 4 mercenaries at one point. Started playing Street fighter 4 online when it came out, realised I had won something like 95 out of 100 matches and fancied myself. Checked the leaderboards and the top player had over 12,000 wins. Once you realise you're up against people who play nonstop for 10hrs a day everyday...feck that

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭phily2002

I played loads of digger for dos when I was a nipper. They released a remastered version for PS3. It has a vintage mode with online scoreboard which I'm first in. Other than that I was never too good at any game. I sometimes make top 10 in the binding of Isaac daily challenge but regularly get dogs abuse in rocket league for been crap! I'm best off sticking to the old school stuff.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

If I had only 20p (Horse money) Which I didn't have in abundance back in the early 90s I had to make it last. Id always play Mortal Kombat. I was really good at it, id lose round's just to get the Extra playing time. Wonderboy in monster land was another good one for stretching the credit. No internet back then for cheats, so you'd have to watch other good players playing.

Whichever kid knew the Bubble Bobble cheats was the king:-)

Master of the Universe

God I was absolutely rubbish at fighting games back in the early to mid 90s when they were in arcades. Don't think I really went near them at all as they'd just gobble up my money instantly. Would play a bit of Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat and Primal Rage for the gore but that was it really.

Instead I'd always go for scrolling beat em ups and run and guns. Loved Moonwalker, Rastan Saga, Mercs and anything like that which you'd get a fair amount of playtime on.

One of my favourite periods in arcade gaming is a little bit later, around 1995, 1996.

I remember when Star amusements in Bray got going and you saw the first big wave of really well put together 3D arcade games, things like the first Time Crisis and House of the Dead, Soul Edge, Tekken, Daytona USA, Tokyo Wars (bloody loved that game!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

I played a lot of old fighting games as a kid (tekken, street fighter, MK etc) i thought i was good until i started playing online haha.

Only game i received any form of validation for was Geometry Wars 2 on the 360, i was in the top 40 worldwide on one of the gamemodes and on trials HD also, i was in the top thousand for a lot of the tracks at the time (back when i could devote so much more time to playing)

Since then ive accepted the fact i am average :D

Daytona USA was a favourite haunt for some in the Square Tallaght on Level 3 back in the day.

Daytona was class. The sound off them when you were in the Arcade would draw you in. I think Daytona would of been a 50p game? :,-)

Any cabinets that had Extras like cars, bikes or guns (operation wolf) would of been the expensive one's. You'd only play them after the confirmation or if an older family member was paying.

Good times. Then we had JET from the gladiators to look at on games master. Remember Big Boy Barry and the rest on Game's world. Great shows.

Master of the Universe

Ah the 90s, the pinnacle of human existence IMO :D

I know a large part of that is nostalgia on my part as it's when I grew up, but you also had the world in general coming out of the cold war/the Berlin Wall coming down and none of this post 9/11 'TERROR EVERYWHERE!' insanity. There was a real sense of peace.

Okay we had minor blips like the Gulf and Yugoslav Wars going on of course, but sure they were fairly localised.

Also I was being told in school constantly that I was going to be a millionaire when I left in a few years due to the Celtic Tiger economy we had going. Oh how that bubble burst :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I never got to experience the Celtic Tiger Bubble. Came out of my PhD right at the top of recession and was too over qualified for a job in industry and all the research money had dried up so spent sometime as the most highly qualified person on the dole and even retrained in programming videogames. Definitely a long way away from the optimism the 90's promised. Back when the Clinton administration had wiped clean the US deficit and had a more money than they could spend. Took one term of republican morons to blow that.

As for games I was good at, on my friends list on 360 I could beat everyone's top score at ikaruga in literally the first 20 seconds of the game. But I wasn't good at it! Have beaten it with 5 or 6 credits but couldn't do it again.

Thinking of trying to beat Radiant Silvergun on the Xbox using the saturn ruleset (all stages back to back, one extra credit every hour). Might try that when I get sick of the current crop of games. Last of Us 2 has already bored me.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Also I was being told in school constantly that I was going to be a millionaire when I left in a few years due to the Celtic Tiger economy we had going. Oh how that bubble burst :eek:
    In the late 90s I knew a mature student who had the same attitude in college at Diploma level.

He ended up having to repeat his diploma exams that year. Then we parted company forever. Good riddance.

• Advertisement

That Bubble Bursting thread from the Cetlic Tiger days is a depressing read. Everyone talking about how the house prices will never go down and how safe their investment is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I remember when Star amusements in Bray got going and you saw the first big wave of really well put together 3D arcade games, things like the first Time Crisis and House of the Dead, Soul Edge, Tekken, Daytona USA, Tokyo Wars (bloody loved that game!).

I used to love going there! There was a Soul Edge in the Bowling Alley too where me and a few classmates spent a LOT of 50Ps!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There were times I’d have considered myself fairly adept at THPS and (later) Guitar Hero.

YouTube and the internet cruelly burst those bubbles.

Master of the Universe

I used to love going there! There was a Soul Edge in the Bowling Alley too where me and a few classmates spent a LOT of 50Ps!!

I remember that exact machine and it may actually be the Soul Edge I'm thinking of. I think it was running on an Electrocoin Duet.

The bowling alley was really a great spot for a long while. Used to love playing Space Gun and Virtua Racing in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Oh, I'd forgotten all about Space Gun! That game was awesome!

Good times down in the Bowler! One of the reasons I got a Candy Cab recently was to relive Soul Edge memories! (When I get around to buying Soul Edge)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I remember that exact machine and it may actually be the Soul Edge I'm thinking of. I think it was running on an Electrocoin Duet.

The bowling alley was really a great spot for a long while. Used to love playing Space Gun and Virtua Racing in there too.

And Metal Slug at 20p a pop.

We were playing pool one day, we were about 13. The leg cabinet on the pool table fell open. Imagine seeing a box of 50p foot deep back in the early 90s.

I met up with an old regular on here to install a HD in my PS2 when that first became a thing. Went to quirkies where his 4 year old beat me at Soul Calibur 2....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I was never good at any games apart from being the best in my family.

Suppose Call of Duty online was something I sunk a ton of hours into during college and got pretty handy at it, but never 'good' good

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I met up with an old regular on here to install a HD in my PS2 when that first became a thing. Went to quirkies where his 4 year old beat me at Soul Calibur 2....

Haha the utter terror and existential crisis you have when that happens.

Advertisement