Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I recall the Great Street Fighter Rout, where a former (ahem) regular of this forum comprehensively took on all contenders in Ciderman’s living room. Many took on the challenge, but all failed, to the point where it became a relentless humiliation - a march of shame back to the bowl of crisps after the inevitable defeat at the hands of a master. An impressive, definitive showing of the SF mechanics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And I thought I was the bees knees because I was a mediocre-bad player in the Irish fighting game community. I just remember that first round getting crossed up and thinking.... if he did that on purpose I'm in big trouble because he knows how to play this.

He did know how to play it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No such thing as former regulars here, only friends who got too big for their boots...
    We are all still here you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I recall the Great Street Fighter Rout, where a former (ahem) regular of this forum comprehensively took on all contenders in Ciderman’s living room. Many took on the challenge, but all failed, to the point where it became a relentless humiliation - a march of shame back to the bowl of crisps after the inevitable defeat at the hands of a master. An impressive, definitive showing of the SF mechanics.

Pretty sure it was you who told me about that at andrews beers

some say he was a god, some say he was a king......they were all right

Double post I know...but

I was searching for a thread a while ago here and its crazy how many people stopped posting here after years. Id say theres about 15-20 regulars who've been here over the last 10 years?

Still have another bit to go to get all my arcade machines working 100% and running what I want but I definitely want to have a proper arcade night down here for everyone to enjoy some time. I was planning on doing it this summer but covid-19 ****ed me on that one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's a lot of people I really miss. Discostu was one of the earliest that really got me into emulation.

Also miss the tales of joyriding micra's into gamestop in tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Watching Kim Justice's latest video on Model 1, 2 and 3 games. I really need to play Dynamite Cop AKA Dynamite Dekka 2. Dynamite Dekka was called Die Hard Arcade in the West.

Might need to get my Dreamcast down from the attic and "acquire" the game.

Better still, would be great to get a lot of these Model games in a compilation on the Switch.

Dynamite Deka is a blast but I kind of prefer the first game Die Hard Arcade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

Was that that EnterNow lad, or Doctor Doom? I heard both of them could play....something about miss-spent youth's standing at SF2 cabs during their teens...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Any Lego fans here? This is pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/brickset/status/1283008574353027072?s=19

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    Was that that EnterNow lad, or Doctor Doom? I heard both of them could play....something about miss-spent youth's standing at SF2 cabs during their teens...

Think it was that EnterNow lad. A disgusting individual that never shows up to any meet ups except that one time to humiliate me.
    DaveyDave wrote: »
    Any Lego fans here? This is pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/brickset/status/1283008574353027072?s=19

That price though!

Inviere wrote: »

rumor is that he was in a teleportation accident with a soldering iron. Now he spends his nights modding every console he finds to 60hz

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Pretty sure it was you who told me about that at andrews beers

some say he was a god, some say he was a king......they were all right

Legend has it EnterNow taught Daigo everything he knows about SF... :cool:

I think the beers at my place was the one and only time I hosted - was a great night that. The first time I saw an Ibara PCB in the flesh (courtesy of ondafly), so tiny but what a stunning game (was playing the PS2 version the other day, jesus it's merciless). Didn't Pyongyang turn up too? Can't remember.

I do remember Johnny Ultimate was pretty handy at the Xbox 360 shmups I had hooked up inside the AWSD, and Jack brought along some mighty tasty burgers (which is now what I associate Waterford with)! Another member who's name I can't recall (worked in radio or something at the time) made some sort of Fukashima green cake too, Sera was well impressed. :D

Good times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A grand night out at Andrew’s that was!

Mostly remember key moments from the various beers over the years:

Retr0 insisting he could complete Ghouls n Goblins (Ghouls n Ghosts? I always get them mixed up) and get the true ending. Cue a long, increasingly tense series of failures :p

Discovering the twist ending of DinoRex!

Me stubbornly insisting Superman 64 wasn’t that bad, actually, after playing it for the first time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

We really have to meet up again, watch Retr0 make a t1t of himself again...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I think we went to the wrong house first and we looked in the window it was loads if children. I thought we'd get arrested.
    Still have another bit to go to get all my arcade machines working 100% and running what I want but I definitely want to have a proper arcade night down here for everyone to enjoy some time. I was planning on doing it this summer but covid-19 ****ed me on that one
    I'm only going if theres burgers...
    Jkjk
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    Legend has it EnterNow taught Daigo everything he knows about SF... :cool:

I think the beers at my place was the one and only time I hosted - was a great night that. The first time I saw an Ibara PCB in the flesh (courtesy of ondafly), so tiny but what a stunning game (was playing the PS2 version the other day, jesus it's merciless). Didn't Pyongyang turn up too? Can't remember.

I do remember Johnny Ultimate was pretty handy at the Xbox 360 shmups I had hooked up inside the AWSD, and Jack brought along some mighty tasty burgers (which is now what I associate Waterford with)! Another member who's name I can't recall (worked in radio or something at the time) made some sort of Fukashima green cake too, Sera was well impressed. :D

Good times.
    It was Dinorex made it, I still have photos of that cake and of that beers, have an A&R archive on my Facebook.
    Discovering the twist ending of DinoRex!

Me stubbornly insisting Superman 64 wasn’t that bad, actually, after playing it for the first time.
    I have that video of Dinorex being cleared

Superman 64 was the start of Ciderman banning bad superhero games from beers...

108065261_10223203241810865_1302110470047631914_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=8024bb&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=huaW9nSB9j4AX_SXcHw&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&tp=14&oh=176c6552496945e59c77241211b25b8f&oe=5F326F28

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Think it was that EnterNow lad. A disgusting individual that never shows up to any meet ups except that one time to humiliate me.

There's a sleeper agent amongst us who'd likely best even EnterNow.....that Relikk lad has 'da skillz' if I remember rightly...

Other beers memories:

Andrew 1cc'ing Aliens on Cidermans AWSD
    Seeing the Steel Battalion rig for the first time (awesome thing)
    Playing a Virtual Boy for the first time too!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,828 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

108065261_10223203241810865_1302110470047631914_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=8024bb&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=huaW9nSB9j4AX_SXcHw&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&tp=14&oh=176c6552496945e59c77241211b25b8f&oe=5F326F28

How long ago was that beers now actually? (I'd guess maybe 5 years?)

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »

I've got some terrible news for you.

Terrible news.

Master of the Universe

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've got some terrible news for you.

Terrible news.

:pac:

Yeah my eldest is 11 now so I think it’s closer to 10 years ago at this stage. I think my very first beers was at your place (or your parents, Sauron?) and where I saw Raiden for the very first time. Many a fun time at Cidey’s meet ups too.

Who was it that started the great Vectrex trend? Seeing one of them in the flesh for the first time was genuinely impressive.

o1s1n wrote: »
    April 2012 my Facebook says, i wish it was 5 years ago

The projectors on the side of Ciderman's house was 2014

The Vectrex thing was my fault, I got one of those a long long time ago, and it still works, unlike almost everyone else's Veccy...

Can't believe that the projectors was so long ago now.
    I had great notions of hiring a cinema for a couple of hours and plugging the Retron 5 in, having some giant screen gaming, but I never got to do it.

First ones I was at was the one in Retr0s place, under the gaze of Sauron, and the following event in Dinorex's place, or was it the one in O1s'?

Great times, I have to say.

The guy who was ramraiding properties was PDBHP, he hasn't been active here in a very long time, I think he came to a Beers in mine 5 odd years ago, and hadn't been a regular even then for a while.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    and the following event in Dinorex's place, or was it the one in O1s'?

Great times, I have to say.

The guy who was ramraiding properties was PDBHP, he hasn't been active here in a very long time, I think he came to a Beers in mine 5 odd years ago, and hadn't been a regular even then for a while.
    Dinorex I think, I remember going to the zoo before it for the first time, there's photos of me in fancy hats.
    There's a lovely photo that night of you, Sparks and Atavan I think

Atavan... you know, if he ever wants to sell that teal GC, he knows I'm good for it!

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    :pac:

Yeah my eldest is 11 now so I think it’s closer to 10 years ago at this stage. I think my very first beers was at your place (or your parents, Sauron?) and where I saw Raiden for the very first time. Many a fun time at Cidey’s meet ups too.

Who was it that started the great Vectrex trend? Seeing one of them in the flesh for the first time was genuinely impressive.

Your eldest is 11??? Holy hell, that's crazy! Kids really are a great barometer as to how much time has gone by. I don't have any in the house myself so always get a bit of a shock when I haven't seen relatives for a while and their kids are now taller than me.

I'd completely forgotten about that beers I had years ago out in Clontarf! Yeah that was a family house that I used to live in, where I got my notions of grandeur from with the golden wallpaper and pantry. :pac:

Still have that Raiden PCB in my candy, been a steady feature of all my living rooms for a decade now :D

April 2012 my Facebook says, i wish it was 5 years ago

The projectors on the side of Ciderman's house was 2014

Ah so it was 8 years ago? Right, I just got back two years of life, phew!

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    First ones I was at was the one in Retr0s place, under the gaze of Sauron, and the following event in Dinorex's place, or was it the one in O1s'?

Oh yeah I think the first time I met yourself was in Retr0's place, I vaguely remember you handing me a GBA at some point with a game to try out, cannot for the life of me remember what it was.

My lasting memory of that night was watching Retr0 playing Gitaroo Man on the PS2 till all hours in the morning and having absolutely no idea wtf was going on :pac:

• Advertisement

I think I'd to back to Nom Com after the first beers, slept a few hours, had to get ready to help bringing sound equipment around because one if the lads went MIA.

We played Worms as well and remember winning but only learned afterwards the thing at the bottom was the wind direction

Advertisement