Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

o1s1n wrote: »
    Marketing is a powerful tool!

Analogue have theirs down expertly, everything from absolutely gorgeous mockups on the website to all of the wanky blurbs to go with it.

Chinese products on the other hand, have a combination of Engrish, historically dodgy production and no flair whatsoever.

I usually don't particularly care for Analogue's products, however this one hits a pretty important corner of the market by both looking gorgeous and allowing the use of original carts.

I have yet to come across a Chinese product with a nice screen which will allow me to play my collection of NGP carts for example.

Yeah I agree with Analogue. Their marketing team is top notch. Reading through that pocket page hade even considering a pre order. The device itself is super slick looking. Marketing it to people the same way phones are, just vomiting specs and technical blurbs at people. Definitely works

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The more I look on their website and Twitter the more tempting it is alright, really slick what they have done. But it's finding the time to use the thing would be my problem with it (and I still can't see it being that comfortable to use for any length of time).

I'm curious - they mention a tate mode for the screen - were there vert games for the GB/GBC/GBA does anyone remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Atari Anniversary Advance for the GBA has some game modes that let you rotate the console and play in vertical mode if I remember correct - there might be a few more too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Might also be because the screen ratio for the different supported systems is a little different?

GBC 160 x 144
    NGPC 160 x 152
    GG 160 x 144
    AL 160 x 102

If you wanted to fill the screen with the image, with as little distortion as possible, you migth have to rotate it, IDK...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I like the look of the pocket, but this whole thing of pay now and get almost a year later is really not my cup of tea.
    Have they even shown anything other than specs and 3d renders?
    Maybe I've just been burned to many times on kickstarter, so this type of thing irks me more than the average person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I like the look of the pocket, but this whole thing of pay now and get almost a year later is really not my cup of tea.
    Have they even shown anything other than specs and 3d renders?
    Maybe I've just been burned to many times on kickstarter, so this type of thing irks me more than the average person.
    Possible to protect from being burned by using a credit-card I wonder?

Master of the Universe

So preorder is open August the 3rd, but it won't ship for a year?

Yeah...as much as I'd like one, I don't think I could drop that kind of money on something and wait a year. I don't mind when it comes to limited run games etc as they're only 50 euro, but with this and some of the add ons it's a fair chunk of change to have to wait.

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Possible to protect from being burned by using a credit-card I wonder?

I'm not sure what the time limit is on recalling a transaction on a credit card. Can you dispute something 10-12 months after payment?
    To be honest I wouldn't say they'd ruin their reputation by doing something silly on this 1 console. They've been around longer than most people think, so have a good track record(I got my wood cmvs off them nearly a decade ago).

I do think they are being very cheeky not showing any real hardware though. Kickstarter wont even let you start a campaign now unless you have working prototypes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm not sure what the time limit is on recalling a transaction on a credit card. Can you dispute something 10-12 months after payment?
    To be honest I wouldn't say they'd ruin their reputation by doing something silly on this 1 console. They've been around longer than most people think, so have a good track record(I got my wood cmvs off them nearly a decade ago).

I do think they are being very cheeky not showing any real hardware though. Kickstarter wont even let you start a campaign now unless you have working prototypes.

I tend to agree, they're too big of a name to roast everyone on preorders. Perhaps a pre-paid credit/debit card might do?

Master of the Universe

Their business is definitely worth more than 1 release, so I wouldn't be within their interests to scarper with all the money or anything.

I'd just be annoyed having to wait that long after ordering an expensive product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I'm curious - they mention a tate mode for the screen - were there vert games for the GB/GBC/GBA does anyone remember?
    Atari Anniversary Advance for the GBA has some game modes that let you rotate the console and play in vertical mode if I remember correct - there might be a few more too.
    My guess would be for a possible WonderSwan core and cart add on at a later date.

I'd just be annoyed having to wait that long after ordering an expensive product.

It's an unusual approach from an established company. Given there's been no hardware pictures revealed yet, if I didn't know better, I'd be wondering if they're using the preorders in the vain of a kickstarter (to fund the actual product). Not the most inspiring approach it must be said, but no doubt these will be hard to get and priced sky high on the second hand market so it's putting people in the position of buy now or forever hold your peace.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Their business is definitely worth more than 1 release, so I wouldn't be within their interests to scarper with all the money or anything.

Yeah, if you were planning on also getting the dock and say the NGPC adapter, that's $330 before shipping and any other costs. So the guts of $400 to pay now and wait a year or so for - assuming there's no further delays. That's a big ask.
    Inviere wrote: »
    It's an unusual approach from an established company. Given there's been no hardware pictures revealed yet, if I didn't know better, I'd be wondering if they're using the preorders in the vain of a kickstarter (to fund the actual product). Not the most inspiring approach it must be said, but no doubt these will be hard to get and priced sky high on the second hand market so it's putting people in the position of buy now or forever hold your peace.

That's exactly what it looks like - they're funding the build from the pre-orders.

Just had another look at the website - all the pictures up until a few days ago showed a set of 3 buttons on the bottom right of the unit. Strange placement since that is where the inside of your thumb would rest. Those buttons have now moved to the bottom middle - much better - but it shows they are still designing the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

So your pre-order cash will be paying for the tooling once they've finished the design.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I love my SuperNT, but I'm no fan of Analogue's marketing or business practices in general so definitely passing on this.

In a world where you can do screen upgrades on original hardware, I dunno if I see the appeal.

Kickstarter wont even let you start a campaign now unless you have working prototypes.

It's about ****ing time they stepped up. I stopped backing anything on it for more than €20. Been burned so many times it's beyond a joke. I was part of the super screen too, still annoyed over that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Am i missing something here? Wasn't RE1 on game boy cancelled? Plus RE Gaiden was on GB colour. Was there ever a GameBoy port of RE?

https://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/game-boy/21116342

Master of the Universe

bmorrissey wrote: »
    Am i missing something here? Wasn't RE1 on game boy cancelled? Plus RE Gaiden was on GB colour. Was there ever a GameBoy port of RE?

Repro cart of the cancelled game, looks to be a few of them on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Makes sense, **** am i getting that for 50 euro, seen some of the videos of the game, looks like a mess :pac:

bmorrissey wrote: »

It's about as legitimate as a pre-election promise

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

That lads whole adverts belongs in the dreamer of the year

Dammit, got stung for customs on an Everdrive coming in from Ukraine :mad:
    That's the first time I've ever had to pay customs on anything from Ukraine. Mega Everdrive Pro for those wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

That lads whole adverts belongs in the dreamer of the year

Yeah, €80 for a Pokémon bootleg :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

How complete is the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Dammit, got stung for customs on an Everdrive coming in from Ukraine :mad:
    That's the first time I've ever had to pay customs on anything from Ukraine. Mega Everdrive Pro for those wondering.

Annoying.

Got hit a few times over the last few weeks myself (nothing slipping through, pandemic-era or no).
    Let us know how you get on with the Pro though.....use a MegaSD on my main these days, but prefer the basic interface of the Everdrives TBH.

McDermotX wrote: »
    Annoying.

Got hit a few times over the last few weeks myself (nothing slipping through, pandemic-era or no).
    Let us know how you get on with the Pro though.....use a MegaSD on my main these days, but prefer the basic interface of the Everdrives TBH.

I'll report back after a bit of use of it alright. I definitely prefer the simple interface of the everdrives, although a font type/size option would be a nice option.

This is what customs came back with this morning. And of course its cash at the door only, no card payments, same as always.
    Total Value of Goods - € 177.24

Customs Duty - € 0.00
    VAT @ 23% - € 40.76
    An Post Fee - € 10.00
    Total for Collection - € 50.76

This is what customs came back with this morning.

The whole thing is nuts. You can't buy the item here, so there's no/zero loss to revenue by buying it where you did. I just fundamentally disagree with such a charge (while yelling at a cloud).

Master of the Universe

The fact that an post have whacked on their own fee which totals to 20% of the additional cost is ridiculous, talk about kicking you when you're down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The fact that an post have whacked on their own fee which totals to 20% of the additional cost is ridiculous, talk about kicking you when you're down.

The fee, used to be €6, then it went up to €10. Still cheaper than what the couriers charge for clearing customs.

Advertisement