Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I've been putting a lot of time into Flight Sim 2020 over the last few days. After seeing LGR's vid below i feel my setup isn't complete unless i can get this running on some crt's :)

Only 3 CRTs?

That's weaksauce!

524150.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Ya its good but as Oisin's says its nothing we don't already know being the information hungry nerds we are :)
    I'm at the stage where I'm kind of sick of U.S. gaming history ..it always hits the same beats ;
    Computer Space->Pong-> Space invaders-> Atari->Crash->NES->Nintendo->16 bit wars->Sony->Doom->Microsoft->Halo->Internet...and so on.

The UK Bedrooms to billions documentaries aren't bad for showing something a bit closer to what it was like here at the time (for a start there was no crash , much less nintendo, the 8 bit wars) , but something like Brazil's history (much much sega)
    or Eastern Europe (Dendy, Sord,A lot of Atari 8 bits in Poland ) or in a perfect world Ireland (Atari factory in Tipp , Namco,Atari camp in Mosney, more 8 bit wars, Peats , Computercity)although the odds on getting anyone to do a local gaming docu about Ireland is unlikely*

(*Although I'm fairly certain the Doom episode of High Score John Romero footage was filmed in his gaff in Galway)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I've been putting a lot of time into Flight Sim 2020 over the last few days. After seeing LGR's vid below i feel my setup isn't complete unless i can get this running on some crt's :)

Lots of reports of it murdering the highest end GPUs but my Core i7 2700K, 8GB DDR3 and 6GB GTX 1060 has it running on high at 30-40fps in smaller planes, 30fps or so for the A320/747. Turned v-sync off and lowered all the airport traffic, boats etc. Left everything else high, shadows, clouds etc. Frames will stutter here and there but even the likes of New York where people have been having performance issues it was grand for me, Dublin will sit at around 40-45fps. Clouds and storms aren't an issue either. Lots of YouTubers said AI planes tank performance but haven't noticed much issues with them. Loaded into Dublin last night as a Ryanair flight was approaching behind me :D

I'd like to dip my toes into the actual simulation but for now I can't get over exploring the world. Game Pass on PC was only a Euro and €4 after that, highly recommend anyone with a decent PC to get into it, casual settings make it a breeze to just explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Lots of reports of it murdering the highest end GPUs but my Core i7 2700K, 8GB DDR3 and 6GB GTX 1060 has it running on high at 30-40fps in smaller planes, 30fps or so for the A320/747. Turned v-sync off and lowered all the airport traffic, boats etc. Left everything else high, shadows, clouds etc. Frames will stutter here and there but even the likes of New York where people have been having performance issues it was grand for me, Dublin will sit at around 40-45fps. Clouds and storms aren't an issue either. Lots of YouTubers said AI planes tank performance but haven't noticed much issues with them. Loaded into Dublin last night as a Ryanair flight was approaching behind me :D

I'd like to dip my toes into the actual simulation but for now I can't get over exploring the world. Game Pass on PC was only a Euro and €4 after that, highly recommend anyone with a decent PC to get into it, casual settings make it a breeze to just explore.

It's a beast for needing resources. My current setup is pretty high end and I can only get 60-70fps in 4k ultra with some tweaks, and only really in Ireland and some other places where the detail isnt that high(i9 9900k, 2080ti, nvme storage etc). I'm in the middle of a new pc build, but even when thats done I've a feeling FS2020 is gonna need more. It's the CPU's that are holding it back at the moment more than the GPU's, and with me going for a massive amount of cores in my new build(Threadripper 3990X), I'm not sure it'll be a massive upgrade, at least with this game until they can use more than 4-8 cores properly.

All that aside, they need to sort out the bugs. Simconnect doesn't work properly, so I(and thousands more) cant hook up some of the fancier flight sim bits(hardware and software). But they'll get there and it's an amazing platform to build on. I just wish they could have used google maps data rather than bing maps data, but that'll never happen :)

Edit:
    A guy posted a video he made using the game(and some decent editing) over on the flight sim forums. I've a feeling youtube is about to see a million of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Here's a project I hadn't heard about, Bioevil - Resident Evil being recreated on the Megadrive!

https://pscd.itch.io/bio-evil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

That actually looks really interesting...love to see it get finished

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Here's a project I hadn't heard about, Bioevil - Resident Evil being recreated on the Megadrive!

That's pretty impressive, seems like they are maintaining the move/turn speed of the original, whose tank controls make more sense in the isometric view too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

Outrageous, I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,418 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

interesting video from Nostalgia Nerd about hidden games on vinyl and cassette albums of the 80's

I actually had a copy of the Thompson Twins on cassette from a mate but not sure if he recorded it off the floppy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Skerries wrote: »
    I actually had a copy of the Thompson Twins on cassette from a mate but not sure if he recorded it off the floppy

I remember that, they made a game, based on the band, and gave it away as a bonus on the cover of C&VG waaay back in the day.
    Cassettes at the time would have been bulky and expensive, this is several years before cover mounted cassettes were common.
    Because of this they made a very thin flexible record, that had to be played on a turntable/record-player, and the audio-out/in cable strung from there.

Of course, because of the nature of such media, it was very hard to get it to work, certainly didn't for me!
    I think it was best to use the typical Hifi of the time to record the disc straight onto cassette, then load it from there.
    I didn't have such a Hifi :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

This could be interesting considering the tenuous rumours of its existence.

https://twitter.com/NumskullDesigns/status/1298674299268734977?s=19

This could be interesting considering the tenuous rumours of its existence.

https://twitter.com/NumskullDesigns/status/1298674299268734977?s=19

Wouldn't be the first time someone's made that game.

Master of the Universe

Polybius is just an old internet made up story. It's about as real as Ted's Caving page or Slenderman.

I guess some lads have coded a game and stuck it in a cab to try to recreate it.

Polybius is just an old internet made up story. It's about as real as Ted's Caving page or Slenderman.

I guess some lads have coded a game and stuck it in a cab to try to recreate it.

Jeff Minter already made an actual game with the infamous name and it's mind blowing, they'll have to be producing something special to compete with that.

Numskull, thats the crowd that made the quarter scale mini arcade machines I got recently. Probably a new one of them?

I'd say that's definitely it

Looks like the Sinden Technologies Lightgun has a bit of competition.

Arcade Europe have launched a Kickstarter for their own Lightgun which does not use a camera and it's pretty vague how theirs works.

Arcade Europe Lightgun, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcadeeuropelightgun/arcade-europe-lightgun?ref=android_project_share

At 150 euro for just one gun it's about 50 euro more than the Sinden,
    and a totally vague description of how it works is found beneath the all the rambling on about how passionate about arcade the creator is.

It does claim it does not need sensor bar or a screen border to work however, how accurate it is remains a mystery.

The Sinden Lightgun inspires more confidence as Andy the creator was very upfront about details, showed it working on RetroManCaves channel, kept regular updates and the molds for his gun are much nicer and professional looking.
    He just seemed a really professional and competent chap.

The Sinden Lightgun ships from September 4th, can't wait to get my hands on it soon.

Master of the Universe

Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it once it arrives.

I've been tempted, but my cash always ends up going on something else!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

you just have to admire Bad Apple running on an MSX :)

https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm37328426

BGOllie wrote: »
    you just have to admire Bad Apple running on an MSX :)

https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm37328426

Very nice.

Have you seen it running on a Vectrex?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So it seems after the gender politics kerfuffle DDS is actually back doing fan translations and has fully translated all the Geomon SNES games.

Also in fan translation news the BS Fire Emblem games have been translated to english making the entire Fire Emblem series available in english.

Hmm, Boards is acting the goat here, can't see the latest posts from people.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Hmm, Boards is acting the goat here, can't see the latest posts from people.

I've had that issue on the touch site for a while. I can't view a new page of the Gaming Humour thread until the 3rd post of the page.

I've had that issue on the touch site for a while. I can't view a new page of the Gaming Humour thread until the 3rd post of the page.

But this is happening on the full site, on my work PC... very odd

Spotted this on AliExpress, a PlayStation 2 motherboard modified to fit in a handheld Ben Heck style.

€ 524,48 | 7 inch IPS screen Arcade Game console Modified by P/S2 motherboard NO Raspberry Pi Not simulator Double joystick
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMKsJab

I'm puzzled as to why Mario Kart Double Dash is shown in one of the pictures though?

Master of the Universe

What amazes me even more is that they can charge € 524,48 for a handheld and have such wonky buttons - check out that square button! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Here's one for all you perverts out. You know who you are. Playing unwholesome games at the beers meet ups unlike me who only plays the bible games on the NES.

A promotional video for the cancelled PS3 HD Dancing Eyes game

I actually genuinely like the original dancing eyes despite the.... skeeviness.

Advertisement