Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Here's one folks might find interesting, Sega are putting up a free prototype today of a 2.5D Golden Axe game they're dubbing Golden Axed.

Only available to download today on Steam for free.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1368460/Golden_Axed_A_Cancelled_Prototype/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Here's one folks might find interesting, Sega are putting up a free prototype today of a 2.5D Golden Axe game they're dubbing Golden Axed.

If there was any justice in the world the whole franchise would have been Golden Axed... and brought the Streets of Rage franchise with them for company!

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If there was any justice in the world the whole franchise would have been Golden Axed... and brought the Streets of Rage franchise with them for company!

On the surface you say you hate it, but I have visions of you sitting in a dark corner of your attic, the feint glow of a Sega Nomad lighting up your face and the Golden Axe logo reflecting across both lenses of your glasses. :pac:

Game is available to download now. I can't figure out what the attack button is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I tried out Armor of Heroes and Endless Zone yesterday. They're both pretty trash.

Master of the Universe

Just gave them a go a moment ago - absolute rubbish alright!

One of those cases where Sega would have been better off not giving any games away for free at all...

• Advertisement

I suppose I saw them and said "Hey, I'll buy Two Point Hospital while I'm here". Free is a compelling hook. Seeing this this 60th sale mentioned everywhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What's the streets of rage yakuza crossover like?

Master of the Universe

Just played through it, it's the first stage of Streets of Rage 2 with the backgrounds and sprites changed. Sound effects stay the same. So basically a fancy version of a SOR2 hack.

When you clear the first stage it loops so not much to it, worth checking out for 5-10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It is exactly what I thought it would be, truly awful 3D beat em up. Also it put the control into the analog, who puts a 2d style game controls onto the analog when the D-pad is king.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Can't wait for Golden Axe 4 to be announced

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't wait for Golden Axe 4 to be announced

I would actually love to see a new golden axe along the lines of SoR4. However I feel that the first game is a bit clunky and has more in common with Double Dragon than Final Fight which really modernised and perfected the style of play.

Would be great to see a remake in the vein of Revenge of Death Adder which up there with Alien vs. Predator as a pinnacle of the genre.

They should turn Golden Axe 4 into a free to play phone game where you just make AI fall off cliffs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I would love to see a Golden Axe 4 simply so I could come on here and complain about it existing.

Master of the Universe

I wonder how much we'd have to pay the developers to give you some sort of cameo?

I wonder how much we'd have to pay the developers to give you some sort of cameo?

I thought he was already in the first game

Strung up and being beat with a club for giving out about the game

golden-axe-2-02.png

I'd be happy to be an end boss but draw the line at wearing Frank'n Furters outfit...

I thought he was already in the first game

Strung up and being beat with a club for giving out about the game

Quiet you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Golden Axe: the revenge of Death Adder, great game. Very nice cabinet too

Master of the Universe

What a machine!

I always wonder why they didn't make those aircraft carrier control panels a bit more rounded on the edges. If you just took some of the edge off each side the poor players on the far left and right would be able to get a good bit closer to the screen.

Give the people want they want; Golden Axe: Beast Rider 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Check this out for a collection! Must be the biggest in the world, 30'000 arcade pcbs?! At even 100 euro a pop that's 3 million euro there. And the machines, wow.

Need to get to nagano Japan for a raid :p

Master of the Universe

Holy crap :eek:

Absolutely amazing but imagine the maintenance. 30,000 PCBs, there must literally be millions of capacitors in there - I think I'd be kept awake at night worrying about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Gradius wrote: »
    crazy, for any body as slow as me there are subtitles, click cc.
    He says he is at it 40 years, but at 30,000 that is still more than 2 per day!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Bare with me
    I'd a dream last night about Lumo on Switch but it was an older game, is it something similar I was thinking of? Same kinda main character too
    Maybe my brain made a demake too just said I'd ask

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Bare with me
    I'd a dream last night about Lumo on Switch but it was an older game, is it something similar I was thinking of? Same kinda main character too
    Maybe my brain made a demake too just said I'd ask

There are a LOAD"" of games like this on the Spectrum.

Solstice on the NES maybe what you're dreaming of?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Are there even 30'000 individual PCB games made??

Master of the Universe

I think there's about what, 10,000 games in MAME?

Must have a lot of multiples too so I'd say that'd multiply the figures out a good bit.

XS5LK.gif
    Solstice on the NES maybe what you're dreaming of?

Or maybe the first one of all?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Gradius wrote: »
    Check this out for a collection! Must be the biggest in the world, 30'000 arcade pcbs?! At even 100 euro a pop that's 3 million euro there. And the machines, wow.

Need to get to nagano Japan for a raid :p

Amazing video. Thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

...and not one of them with a decent colour scheme ;)

Advertisement