Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Amazing video. Thank you :)

It really is, just a whole other level! Spotted a Nintendo punchout cabinet, probably better nick than mine I bet :p

I bet that dude has games that are unheard of. The shelves of deco cassettes even, I thought there were like 20 of them!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

o1s1n wrote: »
    Here's one folks might find interesting, Sega are putting up a free prototype today of a 2.5D Golden Axe game they're dubbing Golden Axed.

Only available to download today on Steam for free.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1368460/Golden_Axed_A_Cancelled_Prototype/

ah balls , gone now .Rubbish though it was I'd have liked to have seen it
    Looked a bit like the TERRIBLE Gauntlet ,Seven Sorrows , which despite being a Gauntlet game , plays like a Golden Axe remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

That sonic status on the motorway in Japan has been repaired recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Dr Bob wrote: »
    ...and not one of them with a decent colour scheme ;)

Well if you only like one particular colour and black per screen, then there's lots.

Melkhiors Mansion in the works for the Spectrum Next is colourful and very purdy.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Is there a physical release of Streets of Rage 4 or was it just a limited run? Would like to grab a copy. Didn't play much as my Game Pass expired but would like to pick it up on disc if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Is there a physical release of Streets of Rage 4 or was it just a limited run? Would like to grab a copy. Didn't play much as my Game Pass expired but would like to pick it up on disc if possible.

There is an EU SOR4 release. I got the LRG Classic edition, the oversize Mega Drive box is great.

https://www.base.com/fsearch.htm?search=streets+of+rage

• Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I went to have a bit of a nose around Assembler Games as I haven't dropped by in a while and noticed that when you searched it, what came up was' Assembler Games Archive.'

Turns out it closed last year! That one completely passed me by. What a massive shame. Just goes to show you that nothing lasts forever online.

Luckily the whole forum was archived here for posterity. Thank jaysus, almost 23 years of historic gaming content!

https://www.assembler-games.com/

Edit: I see there was another forum made for everyone to migrate to, must give it a look

https://www.obscuregamers.com/forums/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I went to have a bit of a nose around Assembler Games as I haven't dropped by in a while and noticed that when you searched it, what came up was' Assembler Games Archive.'

Turns out it closed last year! That one completely passed me by. What a massive shame. Just goes to show you that nothing lasts forever online.

Luckily the whole forum was archived here for posterity. Thank jaysus, almost 23 years of historic gaming content!

https://www.assembler-games.com/

Edit: I see there was another forum made for everyone to migrate to, must give it a look

https://www.obscuregamers.com/forums/

Eventually it will only be us...
    Oh, they mock us now, but just wait until we are the only Arcade and Retro forum left... oh yes...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

From November 2018

"A lot has happened<br>
    Mods stepped down, there was a lot of bans, arguments from another similar site and former member, security problems, site got hacked at some point and took a lot of time to come back<br>
    The current status of the site is "it's alive" since the hardcore people have left or moved on, or they left due to the lack of moderation now (its literally just kevin now and even then he's not on ever).
    Things can be going a lot better right now. I'm downplaying this a lot because I just want to give a short timeline."

Every single forum always comes down to squabbling and people throwing toys out of the cot. We've seen it here but thankfully we have a good community here.

Totally unrelated, but kind of to me, one of my friends runs a car vlog/website and they showcase cars in Ireland. It's mostly Japanese cars and Ireland had/has a spectacular scene for it considering is a niche thing on this tiny Island. link for anyone who wants to take a look

Always reminds me of the retro collecting and arcade scene. Theres some fantastic collections here considering how small a community there is for it, it's a niche within a niche in a small country. Not to mention what's lurking in houses and garages around the country that we have no clue about. I was lucky enough to see a highly impressive private collection recently that nobody here would probably know about......2 crates of AES boxed games, and that's just the tip of the iceberg

Bit of a ramble but just great to see some of the same names here after maybe 9 or 10 years of posting

A great bunch of lads!

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Eventually it will only be us...
    Oh, they mock us now, but just wait until we are the only Arcade and Retro forum left... oh yes...

Boards.ie is such a cornerstone of the Irish internet, spanning back to the very beginning that I honestly don't know wtf I'd do online without it :eek:

Thankfully more and more folks seem to be giving up the likes of Facebook, so hopefully it'll weather the storm and we'll see a bit more activity again.

From a historical/knowledge point of view, you really can't beat a forum. Facebook groups etc and even reddit to a degree seem so much more transient with their content.

The amount of times on the other hand I've needed to find a fix for something for example and the answer pops up via a bullitin board from 10+ years ago that's still knocking around is amazing. The only down side to it really is photobucket removing their linked images service a couple of years ago, so half the time the images aren't there anymore.
    From November 2018

"A lot has happened<br>
    Mods stepped down, there was a lot of bans, arguments from another similar site and former member, security problems, site got hacked at some point and took a lot of time to come back<br>
    The current status of the site is "it's alive" since the hardcore people have left or moved on, or they left due to the lack of moderation now (its literally just kevin now and even then he's not on ever).
    Things can be going a lot better right now. I'm downplaying this a lot because I just want to give a short timeline."

Every single forum always comes down to squabbling and people throwing toys out of the cot. We've seen it here but thankfully we have a good community here.

Totally unrelated, but kind of to me, one of my friends runs a car vlog/website and they showcase cars in Ireland. It's mostly Japanese cars and Ireland had/has a spectacular scene for it considering is a niche thing on this tiny Island. link for anyone who wants to take a look

Always reminds me of the retro collecting and arcade scene. Theres some fantastic collections here considering how small a community there is for it, it's a niche within a niche in a small country. Not to mention what's lurking in houses and garages around the country that we have no clue about. I was lucky enough to see a highly impressive private collection recently that nobody here would probably know about......2 crates of AES boxed games, and that's just the tip of the iceberg

Bit of a ramble but just great to see some of the same names here after maybe 9 or 10 years of posting

A great bunch of lads!

It does make you wonder what's out there in Ireland alright, I'd imagine for every one of us there must be at least 10-20 like us. Maybe even more.

I wonder are there many secret CRT hoards knocking about? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It does make you wonder what's out there in Ireland alright, I'd imagine for every one of us there must be at least 10-20 like us. Maybe even more.

If I was them I'd stay hidden in the shadows as well. Never letting anyone know your dark secret that you'd rather be playing a crusty old NES game than Fortnite.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

The only down side to it really is photobucket removing their linked images service a couple of years ago, so half the time the images aren't there anymore.

Do you remember the kerfuffle a few years ago, whereby Photobucket (I think it was them anyway) were recycling image links....meaning what used to be a picture of a Sega MegaDrive...turned into a picture of god knows what when they recycled the link....and it happened here with an NSFW picture :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Inviere wrote: »
    Do you remember the kerfuffle a few years ago, whereby Photobucket (I think it was them anyway) were recycling image links....meaning what used to be a picture of a Sega MegaDrive...turned into a picture of god knows what when they recycled the link....and it happened here with an NSFW picture :eek:

Nope! I need to check my photobucket links! :D

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If I was them I'd stay hidden in the shadows as well. Never letting anyone know your dark secret that you'd rather be playing a crusty old NES game than Fortnite.

I had a few friends over from another country last year staying with us and when they saw my living room, they thought I had some bizarre incomprehensible job that I hadn't told them about.

That sounds vaguely familiar.. I wonder was it maybe not just Ciderdude linking to the wrong folder? :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well if you only like one particular colour and black per screen, then there's lots.

Melkhiors Mansion in the works for the Spectrum Next is colourful and very purdy.

The Amstrad CPC464 hosted those kinds of games the Spectrum was famous for, but with access to a better palette, some with more effort put in than others.

That sounds vaguely familiar.. I wonder was it maybe not just Ciderdude linking to the wrong folder? :pac:

It was only the once, she promised the photos were deleted and, despite her assurances, that stain did not wash out of the Ax Battler costume...

I had a few friends over from another country last year staying with us and when they saw my living room, they thought I had some bizarre incomprehensible job that I hadn't told them about.

I have a friend who was always laughing at me about how I like old games.

Jokes on her now as her son who is a big gamer was fascinated playing all my old games and is asking for a SNES, Gameboy and WiiU for xmas to play some of the older Zelda games :D

I wonder if I could get a CDi on that xmas list as well :pac:

Master of the Universe

That's the ultimate revenge, slowly have her son fill her house with old games and consoles. Convince him he needs a CRT too.

Steel Battalion should be on the list at some point :D

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I wonder if I could get a CDi on that xmas list as well :pac:

A bag of ashes would even trump that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

A bag of ashens would even trump that.

Speaking of Ashe(n)s,
    He reviewed the NeoSNK bartop yesterday. ;)

TLDR
    The buttons in are crap, joystick is okay, emulation is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

The Amstrad CPC464 hosted those kinds of games the Spectrum was famous for, but with access to a better palette, some with more effort put in than others.

I didn't see an Amstrad in proper colour until I was well into adulthood. My childhood Amstrads started with a melt your eyes green screen on my CPC 464 to a boring black and white on the 464+. Still loved the machines though.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I didn't see an Amstrad in proper colour until I was well into adulthood. My childhood Amstrads started with a melt your eyes green screen on my CPC 464 to a boring black and white on the 464+. Still loved the machines though.

I've Amstrad set up in LaunchBox...and I chose the green screen setting for it, because it's all I'm used to. They look good in colour...but it's not quite right for me that way :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I've Amstrad set up in LaunchBox...and I chose the green screen setting for it, because it's all I'm used to. They look good in colour...but it's not quite right for me that way :o

:)
    dude-samesies.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

There is a blast from the past, I remember my cousin had a 464 and had a Batman game that was done in that viewpoint, god we used to play it for hours, and some other mummy Egypt game....

This is pretty incredible

Some genius is bringing Vib Ribbon, the rhythm game from the PS1, to the Vectrex

https://shatteredscreens.com/product/vecribbon-pre-order/

There's no footage yet but the screens look outstanding.

Master of the Universe

:eek:

I may need to buy another vectrex. Wonder how the sound will be? Music is a huge part of that game.

:eek:

I may need to buy another vectrex. Wonder how the sound will be? Music is a huge part of that game.

A mic on the pcb, play your music loud and the game will build a level out of it
    Maybe
    I'm only guessing!

Master of the Universe

A mic on the pcb, play your music loud and the game will build a level out of it
    Maybe
    I'm only guessing!

Yeah I'd imagine they'd have to do something like that, I suppose the fact that it's a cart would allow for such trickery. Couple of PC speakers and away you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Gold shaft anyone?
    sounds like an archvillian in an Austin Powers film.

Advertisement