Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare Town to Dublin commute via public transport

Options
  • 25-10-2018 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Hi guys - the annual train ticket is quite hefty - €2,640 - are there any better options to get to Dublin. I work around Dublin 8.

Looking at the green bus - does anyone commute this way? Does it take forever, loads of stops etc.

Would appreciate any advice - driving isn't really a viable option for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    Hi guys - the annual train ticket is quite hefty - €2,640 - are there any better options to get to Dublin. I work around Dublin 8.

Looking at the green bus - does anyone commute this way? Does it take forever, loads of stops etc.

Would appreciate any advice - driving isn't really a viable option for me.

Tax Saver would bring the cost of the annual ticket down to around 1300 (assuming you pay tax at the higher rate).

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

The green bus (Dublin Coach) do annual tax saver tickets too I think. They would be slower and less reliable than the trains in my opinion. Although once the roadworks on the M7 are complete reliability and punctuality might improve a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Thank you both. I think the rail ticket would make the most sense for me, despite the higher price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    Thank you both. I think the rail ticket would make the most sense for me, despite the higher price.

assuming you are employed, then your employer should be able to offer you the taxsaver ticket with little hassle.

The cost is deducted from your gross salary, so the saving is a minimum 29% and maximum 52% depending on your tax rate.

https://www.taxsaver.ie/Commuters/

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Yes, thankfully the company I work for operates the tax saver scheme and I've kicked off the process of ordering my ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just be aware that that green Bus/Dublin Coach doesn't get great feedback and frequent breakdowns are common.

Big thread here about them: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057766687

Advertisement