Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canyon Ultimate AL

Options
  • 25-10-2018 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Disappointed to discover this morning that Canyon have discontinued the Ultimate AL range. I was planning on replacing mine with the 2019 version, but alas, not to be. Cannot understand why such a great bike would be discontinued, perhaps they consider that the market for the AL is limited, given the range of CF models.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I wonder if the sales of the AL endurance models was a factor, they still have them for 2019. Nice to see some colors other than black accross the range !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I wonder if the sales of the AL endurance models was a factor,
    Yeah, I'd say having two distinct aluminium frames was not economical in the long term.

The Ultimate AL was cascaded down to just a couple of bikes a few years back. A shame as it's still one of the best aluminuin frames ever produced.

My own is seven years old at this stage and still going well as the winter bike. It actually gives a slightly better feel than the CF SL notwithstanding the winter set up and less forgiving tyres.

I see they finally got round to updating the CF SL to match the other bikes higher up in the range. The new layout needs a bit of work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Funny omission alright. With trek's new ALR range and CAAD's flying the flag I thought there might be a bit of an alu resurgence. A good aluminium frame is a lovely thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

most / all the carbon models are cheaper to a greater or lesser degree though, which is great. I just pulled the trigger on my replacement SL, elec shift and discs :) so excited, but have to wait to mid feb! the 2019 is about $600 NZ cheaper, 350e odd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

most / all the carbon models are cheaper
    you mean cheaper than they were, or cheaper than AL equivalents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Cheaper than they were. Less choice means more buying the CF meaning greater economies of scale. Will be picking up a canyon when the propel enters retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

The women's range look far better in my opinion. I have two canyons myself but the paint jobs are getting a bit dull at this stage.

Advertisement