Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow Card

Options
  • 25-10-2018 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I received a yellow card for this post

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108415538&postcount=340

for being "uncivil".

The part that was deemed uncivil was
    "The only reason we are treating this trans any differently is because people are now afraid to call things out for what they really are due to fear of being attacked by SJW."

Specifically "this trans".

As i explained to CramCycle via PM, I had merely inadvertently left out a word between 'this' and 'trans' while trying to think of the most appropriate word.
    It seems this was taken as some sort of personal attack on Rachel McKinnon, the subject of the thread.

After discussion the Mod has refused to overturn the card and forwarded it to two other mods. It has been two days with them without a reply so I am opening this DRP to track it.

Cheers,
    GreeBo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Second mod has just replied to PM upholding the card, so I'd like a CMOD review please.

Greebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I'll let the Cmods know about this DRP. Please give them a chance to respond.

Cheers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Apologies for the late reply GreeBo, can you please have all PM correspondence with the mod to hand - or even send it to me . It will be Monday before I can look at this due to RL commitments.

No worries.

Chain of PM's below.

21/10
    CramCycle wrote:
    Dear GreeBo,

You have been warned for being uncivil.

Typically, this means that you are posting in a needlessly aggressive or confrontational manner being disruptive on the forum or causing stress for the other members. We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

CramCycle

Moderator Note

This post has being reported for being offensive.. On reading the post, it does come across in this manner. "This trans" is clearly made in a derogatory tone and I tend to agree. This is only a warning but if you disagree please PM me.

Your post:<--snipped for brevity -->

21/10
    GreeBo wrote:
    Hey,

I wasn't actually referring to McKinnon at all, I was trying to think of the correct word (something along the lines of phenomenon but that doesnt sit right) and must have just left it out altogether.

I'll edit the post to add one in.

GreeBo
    21/10
    GreeBo wrote:
    btw,

I assume the warning will be removed from my post?

GreeBo.

21/10
    CramCycle wrote:
    Thanks for the explanation,

I'll review in the morning and come back to you tomorrow but the warning should be removed in a day or two unless there is an issue.

I'll drop you a PM if anything else gets flagged with the post.

Regards

Cram

23/10
    GreeBo wrote:
    Hi,

is there any update on this yellow card?

GreeBo.

23/10
    CramCycle wrote:
    Hello GreeBo,

I have reviewed it and unfortunately it simply does not come across to me as the way you have described it.

I have CC'd two other mods to overlook it and see that is dealt with fairly.

If I am ion the wrong after they have reviewed it, I will ask the admins to remove the card.

Regards

Cram

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

GreeBo wrote: »
    As i explained to CramCycle via PM, I had merely inadvertently left out a word between 'this' and 'trans' while trying to think of the most appropriate word.

What was the word that you claim to have left out?

I was writing the post over several hours and was stuck on finding the correct word for what I was trying to say, I guess when I came back to it I inadvertantly moved on and submitted it.

After the card I used "contradiction" rather than leave it blank as it appears at least some mistook my post as being aimed towards the subject of the thread directly, rather than the general way in which it was meant.

I'm still struggling a little with a word that fits better, I dunno, maybe "upsurge".

Thanks, I'm still looking at this, please bear with me.

Np, thanks for update.

The issue here as I see it is not the sentiment of your post, but it was the fact that you appeared to target it at an individual.

Yes, you edited the post to change that, however that was only after the card was issued - that can only be interpreted as a reaction to the card rather than a genuine 'I meant to include that word' edit.

If I have missed any relevant information to this appeal there, please feel free to post it, otherwise I cannot fault the mod action. Please let me know.

• Advertisement

Steve wrote: »
    The issue here as I see it is not the sentiment of your post, but it was the fact that you appeared to target it at an individual.

Yes, you edited the post to change that, however that was only after the card was issued - that can only be interpreted as a reaction to the card rather than a genuine 'I meant to include that word' edit.

If I have missed any relevant information to this appeal there, please feel free to post it, otherwise I cannot fault the mod action. Please let me know.

I edited the post after my attention was drawn to it, I inadvertently left out a word that changed the apparent meaning of my post so corrected it once I was made aware of it.

In any case, even if I did intend to post "this trans", is that really an offence in a thread about a trans person? If I had said "this woman" or "this man" we wouldn't be having this conversation. This person is transgender and the thread is about them, it literally has their name in its title. Every post in the thread is effectively targeting them?!

Would I really be bothered disputing this yellow card and no others if I'm making all this up?
    Is that the argument thats resulting in me not being given the benefit of the doubt here?

Frankly I feel CramCycle has acted due to their own bias in this case since they were *strongly* posting against me in the thread while also moderating the thread.

If this is your final stance then I would request an admin review please.

Hi, is there any update on this please?

Following discussion with the mods, cmods and admin, The card will be reversed.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Marking as resolved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement