Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring Bulbs shooting already

Options
  • 25-10-2018 12:53pm

Hi all,

I planted bulbs about 4 weeks ago. Some are layered (daffs, tulips, hyancinths and crocus). After an initial watering I have put them in a dry darkish place.

Just went and had a look at them and I have shoots about 20cm high already and the hyacinths are sprouting too. I’m new to this bulb planting so done it as a fun project for next spring but now I don’t know what to do. Do I move them into the open? The soil around them is dry. Do I leave them where they are and water them?

Wasn’t expecting to see anything till next year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I reckon watering it is the problem.
    Its been warm enough over the last month, add in water and the bulbs are confused.

I only watered them the day I planted them. Nothing since.

That would still be enough.
    From their point of view they are in damp soil with warm temperatures => its Springtime!

What should I do now then?

I'd probably keep them in a pot indoors or a greenhouse and enjoy then early...but would wait for someone more knowledgeable to comment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Don't worry about them, they know what they are doing, as soon as the cold weather comes in ( and it's due from tomorrow on ) they will go dormant again until Spring.

^
    Wont they have already used up a lot of energy that now wont be replenished since they wont be getting any sun?

They could be pretty weedy looking next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

They won't need to replenish any energy, they will literally press pause & continue where they left off when the temperature picks ups, the reserves in the bulb will be more than enough to do this especially if the stems were allowed to die back naturally the year before.
    Nature knows what it's doing but if you are really concerned you could put a little mulch around them, I've never found it necessary though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭standardg60

I think you may have inadvertently 'forced' them..look up 'forcing bulbs'. By putting them in a darkish place the bulbs think its winter already and time to grow in time for spring. You may as well move them into the light now, water and enjoy sooner than you thought.

Ms2011 wrote: »
    They won't need to replenish any energy, they will literally press pause & continue where they left off when the temperature picks ups, the reserves in the bulb will be more than enough to do this especially if the stems were allowed to die back naturally the year before.
    Nature knows what it's doing but if you are really concerned you could put a little mulch around them, I've never found it necessary though.

I'm assuming they came from a shop tbh, so lord knows how they fared last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

GreeBo wrote: »
    I'm assuming they came from a shop tbh, so lord knows how they fared last year.

Oh dear, that reminds of the story of the primary school teacher asking little Timmy where does milk come from and he says tesco!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭standardg60

Oh dear, that reminds of the story of the primary school teacher asking little Timmy where does milk come from and he says tesco!

That's petty.
    I understood exactly what greebo meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's absolutely normal for many sprint flowering bulbs to break ground at this time of year. Just leave them alone as any disturbance putting them in pots would be detrimental.

Oh dear, in your (failed) bid to be funny, you neglected to actually read the post I was responding to properly!
    if the stems were allowed to die back naturally the year before.

Most comedians have a plant, looks like I've found myself a vegetable. :(

It's absolutely normal for many sprint flowering bulbs to break ground at this time of year. Just leave them alone as any disturbance putting them in pots would be detrimental.

I read "I have put them in a dry, dark place" as meaning they are already indoors in a pot.....OP can you confirm where they are planted?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

GreeBo wrote: »
    Oh dear, in your (failed) bid to be funny, you neglected to actually read the post I was responding to properly!

Most comedians have a plant, looks like I've found myself a vegetable. :(

Oh dear!, seems like my comment went over some peoples heads.
    An FYI milk comes from cows, not a shop!.

Sorry took so long to reply.

All the bulbs were bought and planted last month. I planted the majority into pots and I think it’s the crocus and hyacinth that are shooting up. They are in a lean to between the back of the garage and the back fence so it’s not always dark but always shaded but my husband said it can get quite warm round there.

Planted daffs and tulips in my front garden and can’t see much happening with them.

I think I’m going to leave them alone. No moving and no water. If we were talking about Seasons behaving as they should behave, when should I start watering and moving outside?

I'd just leave the daffs/tulips all where they are so, dont worry about watering, nature will take care of that.
    You should only worry about watering if they get wet, start to sprout and then we have a prolonged dry spell (which is unlikely!)

Crocus can flower anytime between autumn and spring/summer so I wouldn't worry at all about them either.
    They prefer full sun/partial shade so you'll need to move them from a dark lean-to at some stage.
    In pots they can dry out faster but they prefer well drained soil anyway, so again only water if the soil gets very dry.

Advertisement