Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublins lock hard men

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Allinall

Dr Brown wrote: »
    What happened to the lock hard men in Dublin ?

I remember they use to be all over the city back in the 90s but now you never see them.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0108/758711-the-lock-hard-men/

Lack of newspapers and self parking cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I remember they use to be all over the city back in the 90s but now you never see them.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0108/758711-the-lock-hard-men/

Does be one in the Halfway House pub on the Navan Rd (probably hired by them) and one in the car park area at DC Motors on Richmond Rd before Shelbourne games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Used to get the in North Strand on Croke Park match days when I lived in the area 10 / 12 years ago

Presume you still get them there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Remember this song from the 90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Clamping introduced in 1997 cleared them out.

Still get the odd chancer trying their hand at it. Had one try it in Ballyfermot village a couple of years ago. Are they still about for croker match days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Does be one in the Halfway House pub on the Navan Rd (probably hired by them) and one in the car park area at DC Motors on Richmond Rd before Shelbourne games.

Paid in creamy pints of porter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Would your car mysteriously get a few dents if you refused to pay these self appointment chaps back in the day?

CrankyHaus wrote: »

Still get the odd chancer trying their hand at it. Had one try it in Ballyfermot village a couple of years ago. Are they still about for croker match days?

And the clampers are far bigger scumbags than the lock hard men ever were.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Oh yeah my Dad had a favourite joke about the lock hard men "but does your dog put out fires" goes the punchline. Haven't seen one in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

And the clampers are far bigger scumbags than the lock hard men ever were.
    Thought you'd be one for believing people should take responsibility for themselves and not park where they shouldn't park. Scumbag or not, they're avoidable.

• Advertisement

Thought you'd be one for believing people should take responsibility for themselves and not park where they shouldn't park. Scumbag or not, they're avoidable.

Not if your late by 5mins these scumbags will hit you for 80 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

They will not.

They will not.

It happened to me before I left my car for 3 mins and when I came back the scumbags were putting a clamp on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

They were all over the city in the 1960s & 70s, but fewer in the 80s and almost gone by the 90s.

First of all meter parking took over, initially in limited areas, gradually covering most of the inner city.
    By then the only scope for lockhards was in the evening, when people were going to cinemas, or on occasions when matches were being played.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Were they a uniquely Irish or indeed Dublin thing? Never heard of such a thing before to be honest, but then I'm not Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It happened to me before I left my car for 3 mins and when I came back the scumbags were putting a clamp on.
    They were probably familiar with your threads on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Would your car mysteriously get a few dents if you refused to pay these self appointment chaps back in the day?

yes, and maybe worse, that is why motorists were generous.

To be fair, most of the lockhards were decent enough, in spite of effectively charging for the use of public space.
    However we did not know who was OK, or who was a bowsie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Some have progressed to extor...,sorry, keeping an eye on the cars in multi storey car parks in certain parts of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Funny, before I lived in Dublin we drove up to the old point depot (3Arena) for a concert in the early 90s and a fella came up to us saying give him a pound (pre Euro of course) to watch our car. We didn't, weren't aware of this scam but were nervy that we'd find a smashed wing mirror or worse when we came back from the gig but thankfully didn't. I assumed it was a chancer like those aggressive guys trying to wash your car windscreen when you stopped at traffic lights. They've disappeared too.

I didn't know there was an actual mini industry around them. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I remember a few of the auld lads, up by the Rotunda and down around the Pro Cathedral, most were grand, just earning a few quid and would actually be there when you came back so you felt they had kept an eye on it at least.

Then the scrotes started trying their hand, I remember coming back to the car in Summerhill, Gardiner St and that area (my Dad was obviously an optimist!) and various assorted younger lads would arrive out of nowhere declaring that they had looked after the car for us and getting quite aggressive about being paid, wasn't pleasant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Alun wrote: »
    Were they a uniquely Irish or indeed Dublin thing? Never heard of such a thing before to be honest, but then I'm not Irish.

You still get them in Limerick city around Thomond Park on match days. It’s in a rough part of the city and lads usually direct traffic into parking spots in housing estates for a fiver a car. Nice little earner for them

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Given all of your other posts on here that I've read are based on fantasy, I'll assume these are too!

Given all of your other posts on here that I've read are based on fantasy, I'll assume these are too!

So clampers don't clamp people at lightning speed once they get out of their car ?

I have witnessed these scumbags put a clamp on a car in less than 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

So clampers don't clamp people at lightning speed once they get out of their car ?

Well if they're doing it as soon as they got out of the car rather than after ticket has expired then they're in a no parking zone, no?

Re lockhards. Friend paid one after match in Croke Park during the summer so they're still around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Last experience with these was at Croker nearly 10 year ago now

Collie D wrote: »
    Well if they're doing it as soon as they got out of the car rather than after ticket has expired then they're in a no parking zone, no?

Re lockhards. Friend paid one after match in Croke Park during the summer so they're still around.

I had to walk around the corner to buy a ticket when I came back 3 mins later my car was being clamped.

Its a total racket.

They make the lock hard men look like good people.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    I imagine it was more the concurrent changeover from individual parking meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Before ParkingTag I pulled in a spot and clampers were clamping some cars - walked up to the lads, showed them my fiver and said "that's my car, just running into the shop there to break this fiver". Guy was like "no bother" came back out and............

nothing. Car wasn't clamped, they were clamping another car in the area and I went and paid/displayed.

If personal anecdotes are to be the be-all-and-end-all of what clampers are like, then I'm saying all clampers are sound and aren't out to just clamp you the second you get out of your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

not really a lockhard man on the street, but woman from the country on liveline few years back up for a game in croker told how some young fella was trying to get cars into the driveway of a house nearby for match day parking and was charging a small amount so they pulled parked up and went off to the match. came back to where they parked the car to find the electronic gates on the house shut. big argument with the house owner over the car being parked in the drive. of course the house owner had nothing to do with the chancer who got them to park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

frash wrote: »
    Used to get the in North Strand on Croke Park match days when I lived in the area 10 / 12 years ago

Presume you still get them there?

There is definitely still a load of them around Croke Park on match days/concerts.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement