Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property management’s electrician refuses to do the job

Options
  • 25-10-2018 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I recently moved in a new apartment (unfortunately still renting) and realised the Virgin Media quality of signal was very low.

Long story short, Virgin Media realised the problem is the cable (honeycombs) which is not fit for current levels of speed anymore. They gave me 300m of newer cable (quad screen coax cable) and advised the property management’s electrician to pass it in the apartment from the central unit 2m outside the door.

The electrician says that he doesn’t want to do the job because:

1) he has never replaced any other cable in the building
    2) he advised the management company that this would have been a very dirty and expensive job requiring to tear down walls, male holes, re-plaster and re-paint.

All the people who have done some DIY know that this is BS: since a cable is already there, it is as easy as properly linking the new one to the old one, some powder and pulling.

My question is: can I ask for an independent quote and opinion and return to the property manager with that?

He is driving the decision of the landlord with a malicious advise and this is driving me nuts...he is pushing for me to go to SKY since a cable is already there even if the speed of VM at the unit is 200Mbs and for the same price I would get a less than halved download quality.

How can I not know that he is acting based on conflict of interest (may be a SKY technician?!) ? 🀷ðŸ¼*♂️

Thanks for your attention,
    Davide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hi, I recently moved in a new apartment (unfortunately still renting) and realised the Virgin Media quality of signal was very low.

Long story short, Virgin Media realised the problem is the cable (honeycombs) which is not fit for current levels of speed anymore. They gave me 300m of newer cable (quad screen coax cable) and advised the property management’s electrician to pass it in the apartment from the central unit 2m outside the door.

The electrician says that he doesn’t want to do the job because:

1) he has never replaced any other cable in the building
    2) he advised the management company that this would have been a very dirty and expensive job requiring to tear down walls, male holes, re-plaster and re-paint.

All the people who have done some DIY know that this is BS: since a cable is already there, it is as easy as properly linking the new one to the old one, some powder and pulling.

My question is: can I ask for an independent quote and opinion and return to the property manager with that?

He is driving the decision of the landlord with a malicious advise and this is driving me nuts...he is pushing for me to go to SKY since a cable is already there even if the speed of VM at the unit is 200Mbs and for the same price I would get a less than halved download quality.

How can I not know that he is acting based on conflict of interest (may be a SKY technician?!) ? 🀷ðŸ¼*♂️

Thanks for your attention,
    Davide

Why are you so sure it is possible to tie the old cable to the new one and just pull the new one in? What floor are you on? Have you checked the route the old cable takes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

It's rarely as simple as just pulling the old one with the new one attached, especially in a residential building.

What happens if the electrician tries that and it snags or breaks, now there is no cable and you'll be on here complaining about the electricians mistake that left you with no BB.

It's a big job and I see no reason a landlord would go to this bother when there is a solution in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've never heard of that happening. You are usually stuck with the cabling infrastructure that is in place in apartments, any upgrades would be carried out for everyone.

It's pretty much like any property move, you have to check the ISP options beforehand.

I doubt there is a conflict of interest over and above not wanting to do what sounds like a difficult job, particularly when they will get many requests for same as a result.

If they did allow a third party to do the work (unlikely) they won't pay for it, I seriously doubt you'd have grounds to have them pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

What of you try another ISP ?.

Advertisement