Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing classic car question

Options
  • 25-10-2018 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

What is the story if you want to import a vintage / classic car that is a stripped out non runner to restore in Ireland ?

I think I remember reading the car has to be roadworthy to get it re registered by the NCT centre but how can that work in the above instance ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

it's my belief that this situation is not catered for in the rules. You can't VRT it until it's a viable car, so you have no choice but to wait until it is . What happens then is open to conjecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

Just keep all documentation of the purchase and import of the "project", and the progress / invoices of the restore, assuming its uk, i think you have to have the full v5 or cert of export so make 100% you can get one or the other. As soon as its in a road worthy condition book the vrt, I think they are reasonable as long as you have all the backup

• Registered Users Posts: 42 120Filmshooter

This is what concerns me. If I was to import a restoration project that takes lets say 2-3 years to complete would I then be liable for VRT fines etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

On a classic, they are more flexible, search old threads, people getting cars imported 10 years prior vrt'd for the fixed 200.

If you got someone on a very bad day that applied the fine, its based on 0.1% of the total vrt per day for of a classic it would be 20c per day - hardly worth their time, as you can then apply for a refund as long as you can give clear and documented reason for the delay

you will have alot more costly worries with a classic!!!

Thanks.

Looks like they put a lot of thought into this then, what a daft system. I would have thought registering a vehicle had nothing to do with how road worthy a vehicle is, that is another matter all together. You should be perfectly able to VRT a complete basket case if you wanted to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Thanks.

Looks like they put a lot of thought into this then, what a daft system. I would have thought registering a vehicle had nothing to do with how road worthy a vehicle is, that is another matter all together. You should be perfectly able to VRT a complete basket case if you wanted to.

you'd think they would grab the money, but maybe they figure they will get more eventually

In the good old days pre NCT doing it, I registered one car that was a shell with no running gear and I registered one whilst it was in the UK still and travelled to get it with number plates and tax and insurance discs in my luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭homingbird

Can you use postal motel to import a car like this sell the car to yourself in northern address then later take ownership in your name. If you cant understand me i dont think i can be much clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Thanks.

What? The country is awash with clocked cars from the UK. Can you imagine what kind of dirt would be brought in if there was no inspections?

I doubt many classics are clocked TBH. Most owners are passionate about their cars and clocking a decent classic would be sacrilege.

Anyway if someone is importing a bare shell and a box full of parts mileage is probably the last thing on their mind :rolleyes:

Advertisement